• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    bears eat beets
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I love beet pulp.... as horse feed.

this! beet pulp is the shizz! if you have a hard keeper you should be feeding them beet pulp.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    yeah but he said he didnt change anything about his diet except the beet juice and then within 2 months he lost 25 pounds, most would think he'd just maintain his weight but he didnt. and theres no way he could lose 25 pounds just by exercising in 2 months, at least i dont think it is.

Why would you assume he'd maintain? Going from a full breakfast (400 calories maybe) to a glass of juice certainly seems like a deficit to me.

The way the OP describes the shake ( because she says he is not juicing ) I would say that it is more than 400 calories, but at least it is not a lot less ( just counting a banana, beets with high sugar content, pineapple plus other fruits ).
    I think the whole thing is a myth...
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I lost 22 lbs in 16 days juicing. but that was replacing all of my meals (3 a day) with 1 quart of fresh juice each. i felt amazing. had a ton of energy. slept better, skin was great..puffyness gone...when i went to solid foods i gained only 10 of that back. hate to tell ya, but its probably mostly water weight.

on the other hand, you'd be surprised how many calories are in one jar of juice. it takes quite a bit of veggies to make a single juice, let alone a quart.

also, i follow quite a few people who have lost LOT of weight on here, and they averaged about 10 lbs a month. the bigger you are..the more you can lose until you get closer to your goal weight., then it gets harder to lose. Check out the success stories, do the math.
  • bi0nicw0man
    bi0nicw0man Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Was your friend very overweight before the breakfast switch?

I think we are all astounded by the loss of 25lbs in two months, because many of us struggle with 25lbs a year! But if he was considerably overweight, plus lightened up his breakfast (and potentially other meals), it's more likely he was able to lose that amount of weight in a short timeframe.

Could you provide any insight into what the rest of his daily menu looked like?

I'm sure the beets contributed to his weight loss as they are very healthy, but they certainly wouldn't be wholly responsible for such a significant loss.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    25lbs lost? Let's assume 10 of that is water weight and will be gained back at some point, just to be generous. 15 times approximately 3500 calories per pound gets us a total of 52,500 calories needing to be burned for 15lbs of pure fat to be lost. This is ultra simplistic, assuming his lean body mass stayed the same and didn't gain or lose during the dietary shift.

60 days divides up 52,500 calories into an 875 calorie a day deficit. Definitely doable. Hardcore and probably not safe for long-term, but IANADoctor/Nutritionist.

25lbs of pure fat would be about 87,500 calories over 60 days. Even harder. Especially if there was water retained and lean body mass gains. I'm curious as to what his percentages were, like from a DEXA scan.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    dwight-schrute-beet-it-funny-ben-and-jerrys-ice-cream-labels-flavors_zps12ac64b0.jpg

This is the only way I would consider beets in any form.

I like beets on salad greens with goat cheese and walnuts . . . but Ice cream? Not so much.

Def would love that salad ..no on the ice cream..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    yeah but he said he didnt change anything about his diet except the beet juice and then within 2 months he lost 25 pounds, most would think he'd just maintain his weight but he didnt. and theres no way he could lose 25 pounds just by exercising in 2 months, at least i dont think it is.
    You just stated he REPLACED his breakfast with this concoction. So say he was eating 800 calories before at breakfast. Now he's eating say, 150 calories. That's 650 calories a day negative from before. In a week that's 4550 calories. So yes, it's significant when it comes to CALORIE DEFICIT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    so are you saying you agree with me?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    man, you guys are kinda being ridiculous. i mean havent you heard of people doing juice cleanses? i think my friend did the same thing. i mean the fiber from the beet probably pushed all of the junk that may have been stuck in his colon and intestines. its a possibility.
    Lol, you're a skeptic at the beginning of the thread and now a believer? Have fun drinking beet juice then.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    well everyone, considering i know the man, it did happen, he did lose 25 pounds and he swears it was the beet juice, no matter how much all of you complain about magic unicorns and tigers, it did happen, sorry if that ruins your day
    So it happened. It just didn't happen the way you imagine it did.

IDEA Fitness member
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    well everyone, considering i know the man, it did happen, he did lose 25 pounds and he swears it was the beet juice, no matter how much all of you complain about magic unicorns and tigers, it did happen, sorry if that ruins your day

Why did you even ask the question if you're weren't interested in the answers? Were you just looking for validation? Okay...here it is. By all means, replace your normal breakfast with this beet juice concoction. Good luck and be sure and let us know how this works out for you. I see a Dr. Oz show in your future. We can all say we knew you when...
  • ktm96
    Options
    sorry guys, i guess youre all the experts, i cant believe i ever doubted your opinions
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    so are you saying you agree with me?
    No, I'm saying that calorie deficit was the cause of the loss, not because he drank beet juice. Have him drink beet juice and eat breakfast and quit exercising. Guaranteed the result would be weight gain. Would that be the beet juice too?

IDEA Fitness member
  • wheelermel
    Options
    bears eat beets

Bears beat Battlestar Galactica
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    sorry guys, i guess youre all the experts, i cant believe i ever doubted your opinions
    You're young, it happens. Being older does have it's advantages.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

It is ok, no one is perfect. I got an A- once.
  • ktm96
    Options
    for sure?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What was his old breakfast? You also mention his activity level has drastically increased. His rapid weight loss is likely due to his increase in activity and whatever [additional] deficit that came from the breakfast replacement.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If prior to the experiment this gentleman ate a normal breakfast, he replaced a 600-700 calorie meal (at least) with about a 35 calorie meal; THEREFORE, he essentially created a 550-650+ calorie deficit from prior to inception of the Beet Juice; therefore, it is not surprising that he lost weight on this fad diet. It is ok though; he is getting his veggies that way and if later in the day, he is getting protein, his diet may well still be healthy on the whole.