Losing weight & getting healthy with Bipolar Disorder?

Options
I have been living with Bipolar disorder for two and a half years now, and have struggled to achieve a healthy weight. I have found it challenging to stick to a healthy routine while dealing with phases of mania and depression. I have gone through some pretty horrible situations since being diagnosed, and now want to commit to getting healthy both mentally and physically.

Are there any fellow MFP'ers with BP who are interested in maybe starting a group where we could talk about struggles with weight gain to to medication as well as trying to stay motivated through the challenges we are facing and other topics.

Please reply to this thread if anyone out there is interested in joining a group like this, I think it would be very helpful to those of us in this situation.

Replies

• Sasha1417
    Sasha1417 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You are so brave for what you are doing. Take your meds. Talk to your doctors and bless you and those around you. I have problems with depression but I feel it has a lot to do with my weight and my home life.... Good luck!
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have Bipolar Mania but I no longer medicate because of the weight gain side effects.
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder as well but under control since 2008. I used to take meds and they actually made me skinny, those were the days LOL.

However, no matter how badly you want to lose the weight, you cannot stop taking your meds unless your doctor says it. That is the biggest problem with us bipolars, we think we're okay and stop taking them, then get out of control :/ so do as your doctor tells you and maybe ask him for adifferent med that doesnt make you gain weight

good luck!
  • morningwind
    Options
    Hey,

I have bipolar and am struggling with weight. I can't really go off meds and I have lost weight before with the meds. I gained some back and am now losing that...
  • sarkrisd
    sarkrisd Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey. Good luck with staying healthy both mentally and physically. My mom has bipolor and I have watched her struggle with her weight for years. So while I don't have personal experience, I have seen what she has done well and what she hasn't done well. My advice is this: keep your doctors on your side, don't give up when your meds resist your weight lose, and once you find something that works stay with it. Wish you well with your journey.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am surprised to read that you are able to stay off your medication and lose weight .I have had Bipolar for over 20 years and I cycle from Manias to depressions. Currently going through a very rough depression because I just came back from a trip where the time change was 2 hours and I was at a conference so very buy. I stopped some of my night pills so I wouldn't be tired in the morning and then in the morning decided to not take many either.I seemed to head up really quickly and when I came home and stopped I crashed......now I have to go through a couple of weeks to get back on track.
    Sucks because I take 3 different meds and I can't seem to lose much at all........if anyone has any advice I am all ears .just ready to give up!! I am sick of my boys watching me try so hard and yet I can't come off the medication to get me where I need to be .

Good luck
  • ELEANOR43da
    Options
    and yes I am Looking and would love to have a place where other Bipolars can share and help eachother on this journey.
  • ELEANOR43da
    Options
    and yes I am Looking and would love to have a place where other Bipolars can share and help eachother on this journey.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed BP last month & would love to find people who can relate. I'm adjusting to the medication (Lithium) that I have been prescribed, but have found it VERY difficult to lose weight since my diagnosis.

Please either let me know in a PM if a group has been started or friend me.
  • kikimama125
    Options
    I think you will find that working out is a huge help to you. I have been able to get off my medication by getting my life under very strict control. Working out is a very large part of that. I have to go to the gym, it is not a option for weight loss. I have not noticed it being any easier to lose weight on meds vs. off meds. I gained a lot of weight over the years of medication, but I can't blame it compleatly. Life at the time was almost all of that gain. I viewed taking my meds as the "lazy" way for years. I can control my moods with medication, or I can control my moods (personally, doesn't work for all, but will help all!) with exercise and life changes. I could not have done it without my husband or my life situations a few years ago. I am all settelled down and boring now. I have only a few friends because I will not do drama. But working out is really the corner stone of it all. So if your life can't be all tied down and boring, then just take the meds. If you feel fine, still take the meds. Don't think about it, just do it. Don't harp on side effects, they happen, but it's worth some small side effects. Be the poster child for bipolar! Don't be the typical, hard-to-keep-on-meds steriotype. I have a ex-brother-in-law who makes me so mad because he is out of control, knows how to fix it but won't, and uses his bipolar as a excuse. Makes everyone look bad and just fules the horriable stigma bipolar has! I don't tell most people I have it, and when I do, they are amazed. We need to all make a point to be stable for ourselves and each other. Life is so much easier when it's nice and boring and stable. Anyways, yes, get to working out. Tell yourself you will do 10 min and if your really not into it then you can be done. It's just 10 min. I bet you 98% of the time after 10 min you will be game for more! And getting outside in the sun is also a big mood booster, take walks or start running. Set goals for working out, distance, weight lifting, ect. I like weight lifting because I can see imporvement regularly. It's not all about weight loss!

Something you might want to try is full spectrum light bulbs. They are very cheap (just a little more then regular lightbulbs) and easy to use in areas you spend time under a light inside. They boost mood like the sun does. This time of year that is very important! Also, you could try omega-3's, I prefer flaxseed oil pills, they can help. The days you are down and need energy, look into getting a super b-complex vitamin (also helpful for weight loss!). Have a way to do a fast workout at home with nothing to set up. Sometimes I need a fast boost or relax and so I do a quick cardio youtube workout. Schedule your workouts. If you like lists and all write it out, goals and what you have done already. I also like to track numbers so I use a HRM and like weight lifting. Have options, if you like a group workout, get in one. But have a solo workout on back up if your having a day you don't want to see people.

Anyways, good luck! You can do this! You don't have to live at the mercy of your emotions. And when you do, you will feel like you don't feel anything anymore. It's weird, and nice. Feel free to add me as a friend or what not.