House cleaning and food prep as exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• diesel_dame
    Options
    I work a part time job cleaning a factory in the evenings after my 8 hours of sedentary work at my full time job. This job is fast paced and requires lifting and lots of stair climbing. So rather than to change my settings on the type of work I do, I log the cleaning as exercise. However, it is not my only source of exercise, as I also try to incorporate lifting weights and additional cardio into my routine.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    just cause you're doing activity, does NOT mean you are doing exercise.

the calorie burn of cleaning above your tdee is so insignificant that it's not worth logging. it's really just denial when you get down to it.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Regular cleaning and cooking...I don't count.

Marathon cleaning....deep cleaning, moving furniture, running up and down stairs...I count that activity.

Cooking...only if I'm running back and forth, usually only Thanksgiving dinner since it takes about 8 hours to make the feast I make and am EXHAUSTED beyond belief after.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sweat is just sweat, does not mean your burning more calories. I live in Florida, just sitting outside I sweat, does not mean I'm burning major calories just sitting and sweating. LOL, JS.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    never would use food prep, even if doing loads you don't need to move around that much but would use housework if doing something out of the ordinary, eg carpet shampooing the house, doing all the floors, moving furniture but then i very rarely do large amounts in one go
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    regular house cleaning, I don't log it, regular food prep, I also don't log it.

Now if I am having a party and steam and wax all the hardwood floors, move all the furniture, wash all the drapes and curtains (3 flights of stairs to the basement) lug the 7+ loads all back up and hang them all back up, de-fur the entire apartment, including all the ceiling fans, clean all the windows, lug the extra tables and crap up from the basement, lug all the boxes full of dinnerware and extra glasses from the basement and wash them all (no, I don't have a dishwasher), cook for like 7 hours, lugging pots of water, standing all day, making bread, rolls, etc., mopping up all the spills (a gazillion times), then YES I count them. But I only figure an average between the fitbit and what MFP says I burned.

If it is not in my 'normal' routine, I count them because I need to eat those back. But everyday stuff, I don't count them.

I'd be too exhausted to party after all of that!!!! Though it is true that it takes a family get together of some sort for me to bother doing the whole house in one short burst!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have my settings sedentary. I'm pretty sure that I can judge for myself what is exercise and what isn't. Same for other people. So when I cook and clean for 6 hours in a day, it's not exercise because some people here think it isn't? Well, for me, yes it is exercise. I don't go to a gym and I don't jog for 10 miles. But sometimes I go for a 6 hour ATV ride over rough terrain. Sometimes I have to dig myself out of a swamp. Almost all of my activities are every day life activities and I know when I got a work out and when I didn't.

When I log cooking, cleaning, riding atv, etc I only put in HALF of the actual time and only for activity above and beyond what is "normal" for me in a day. So, no, I don't ever log washing dishes. It would be just plain stupid to over-estimate and then choose to over-eat.

I've been unfriended once or twice and had a few sarcastic responses when I log some of these activities. I'm not an idiot; I know if it's exercise or not.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I refuse to accept any sort of "day to day" activity as exercise until MFP gives me the option to log sex.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Invest in a good HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) and wear it when you do "serious cleaning" see what you burn if you are curious... if its significant, count it. That is what I do. The bigger you are, the more you will burn doing "everyday activities" like climbing stairs, doing laundry, mopping etc. TDEE -20% is the easiest way to handle it all though. :) Good Luck! :bigsmile:
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning/ moving furniture when there's a decent quantity/amount of time and real work involved. E.g. getting ready to sell our house was an all day cleanathon. I logged that, was bloody tired afterwards too!!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I dont log any of it, personally. Whatever I burn (which probably isn't much) can just be bonus points.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I don't, its an added bonus burn
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    the calorie burn of cleaning above your tdee is so insignificant that it's not worth logging. it's really just denial when you get down to it.

All depends on what you actually did. Ran the vacuum for 10 minutes chasing dust bunnies, no, I don't count it.
    Moved every single piece of furniture in the house, spent 3 hours mopping and waxing, before heading out to spend 4 hours cleaning out the garage which includes moving the motorcycle with a locked up rear wheel in and out of the building, filled 4 large trash bags, took down every single box full of books off the shelving unit and then replaced them after a good cleaning, and at the end of the day hurt worse than after a 10 mile run.... yeah, that I count.

Hey, but both times, I was just cleaning, right?
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have used both occasionally. I volunteered to work (clean ) a Habitst for Humanitis house. I was on my knees scrubbing , I did window and raked scrubber to put in a bag. I did not log the entire time but I did count this as my exercise for the day. I also volunteer at a church that sells dinner. I am usually there for 5 hours. I fix the plates and empty/refill bowls. I put this down for an hour and 30 minutes. .
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count those things... prepping food and cleaning my apartment and other normal daily/weekly activities never helped me lose weight before... they aren't going to help now.
  • lilmiss_sunshine29
    Options
    i use house cleaning as an exercise if I'm doing like full blown cleaning. if i just loading the dishwasher or making the bed or cleaning off a table i don't count it but if I'm vacuuming, sweeping, mopping and scrubbing the walls and floors and toilets then i log it because im usually working up a decent sweat and i don't want my calories to be off if i dont count it

this!!