Foot injury

In July, I did a 5K and later did a LOT of walking, and I thought I might have fractured something, but the pain went away I kept working out.

This past Saturday I did another 5K and i can barely walk! I don't know a lot about feet, but it's in a weird place. Massage, stretching, pain meds NOTHING HELPS! The pain is in the outside of my right foot, going lengthwise from toe to right before where my heel 'starts'. I don't know what to do!

Anyone know what this might be/how to help this?!

Replies

• roaringpeanut
    roaringpeanut Posts: 3 Member
    I'm not a doctor nor trained in medicine, but I worked as a waitress on a really tough concrete floor for 5 years and had many foot problems. Is the pain on the top of your foot, the bottom or somewhere 'inside' your foot?

Do you have new or good shoes? Supportive insoles?

Its probably best to take it easy for a little while. Experiment with wrapping or binding your foot with athletic tape or wraps.
  • A podiatrist would be your best bet at diagnosing what your problem is. It could be just about anything from Plantar Fasciitis to a stress fracture. You really want to consult a professional about what it might be and how to treat it. You definitely don't want to treat the wrong thing and end up making it worse.

I had an issue with my toe/ball of left foot. My sister "diagnosed" it as a neuroma. I went on line, did everything that it said to do including wearing flip flops (which is what it said to do). I stopped running, didn't wear heels etc. It didn't get better, I went to the podiatrist turns out that's not what it was. Not only that but flip flops were the absolute worst thing that I could possibly have been wearing for my issue. Mine was simple: it has everything to do with my high arches. I stopped wearing flip flops and viola! No pain. I've gone back to running (he gave me something to put under my toe to help elevate it when I run) and I can wear heels again.

My point is that people will come on here and "diagnose" your injury but you really need to go to a professional, get a proper diagnoses and treat the injury correctly. Good luck!
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    I'm not a doctor nor trained in medicine, but I worked as a waitress on a really tough concrete floor for 5 years and had many foot problems. Is the pain on the top of your foot, the bottom or somewhere 'inside' your foot?

Do you have new or good shoes? Supportive insoles?

Its probably best to take it easy for a little while. Experiment with wrapping or binding your foot with athletic tape or wraps.

It's more in the bottom/inside the foot. And I am having a hard time getting time off work to go to a doctor. Boo
  • roaringpeanut
    roaringpeanut Posts: 3 Member
    I'm not always a fan of self diagnosis, but I think the internet can offer some good resources to learn. At the time, I didn't have the option of going to the doctor. I was working on my feet and knew that any medical advice would be to be off my feet which just wasn't an option. Luckily I "retired" from waitressing shortly after.

Some of the things I did to cope was ice, heat and wraps. I used those heat packs made for back pain and would sleep with the gentle heat on my feet. That seemed to help in the short run. Also, I found that wrapping my feet, for me just the ball of the foot, helped as well with pain and allowed me to walk/work.

What I learned is that 1/4 of all the bones in your body are in your feet. Some rest and at home therapy can help, as well as making sure that your foot is supported properly. If the problem persists, don't hesitate to see a doctor but there's a small amount of things you can do to troubleshoot at home. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of self diagnosis, but I always do my research just in case it is something simple and I can avoid the whole ordeal of going to the doctor and being told to take a pain reliever. That drives me crazy.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    One of the hallmarks of a plantar fasciitis injury is that the pain is worst in the morning, with those first steps out of bed in the morning.
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    One of the hallmarks of a plantar fasciitis injury is that the pain is worst in the morning, with those first steps out of bed in the morning.

My pain gets worse the more I'm on it, so it's usually fine first thing in the morning. But the more I walk, the more pain I'm in.