Using MFP for servings and portions

Options
Hi MFPers

Does anyone use MFP to log carb/protein/fat servings? If yes, could you please share how you do it? My doc and dietician would prefer I keep tabs of things that way. Thanks very much.

Aster.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Set an account with whatever weight loss/maintenance goal you have, then weigh everything you eat (get a food scale!) and log everything in your diary. By default it keeps track of carbs/protein/fat, you can change the values for each of them though.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    On the mobile app you can see the breakdown in the home screen on the daily tab, make sure you choose items with accurate nutritional info (this takes time to hone) you can compare items in the food database against (USDA) http://ndb.nal.usda.gov info , wikipedia has links to this too. Hope this makes sense. yell out if not. Yes logging and getting good at your macros is key!

yes and what Francl27 said :happy:
  • asteriskrntt
    asteriskrntt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I wasn't clear. I mean tracking in the sense that 1 serving of carbs is 15 grams. So I can only have for example, 8 carb servings a day, 5 fat servings and 9 protein servings. I think some of the Weight Watchers programs work like this. Also, a lot of diabetics use a system like this.

Aster
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think probably the easiest thing to do in the long run would be to set your macros so they equal the amounts you are going for. For example, set your carb goal to 120 grams of carbs for the day, etc. Then you will be able to use the database as is without having to do extra math all the time.
  • asteriskrntt
    Options
    Thanks Laser. I don't see a setting to set macros. If you get a moment, could you please let me know how to do this? Thanks very much.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks Laser. I don't see a setting to set macros. If you get a moment, could you please let me know how to do this? Thanks very much.

Go to 'Goals' then choose 'Custom Goals' and change your macros' %s
  • asteriskrntt
    Options
    Thanks Ms. Mermaid