Hello, I'm trying to lose 40 pounds by Christmas!

Options
2»

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    40lbs of pure fat, at 3500 calories per pound is 140,000 calories.

You have about 100 days to burn 140,000 calories. That's a deficit of 1400 calories a day.

Better start your squats, lunges and deadlifts.

Focus more on body fat percentage reduction, lean body mass gain (recomposition) or at least retention, and how your clothes fit.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You will need to average a 1275 calorie deficit per day to do this. Is it achievable? Yes, but it will be extremely difficult and possibly hard to maintain.

Why do you want to lose it by Christmas? Why not set yourself up for success by losing a pound to a pound and a half a week (750 deficit per day)? This would take you roughly 6 months.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no. For a goal like that, you should have started back in January.

Drs will recommend losing no more than 2 lbs a week, to avoid losing lean muscle mass, fatigue, and developing saggy skin.

Also, keep in mind that weight loss comes in leaps and bounds. You may be on the fast track to reach your goal now, but the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower it goes. So by November you may be only losing .25-.5 lbs a week. Nothing wrong with that, just be prepared for a major slowdown, and don't let is discourage you. Good luck!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    nope, sorry. 20 maybe, not 40.
  • ejherndon727
    ejherndon727 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am working on trying to make my old pants fit by Christmas! I don't necessarily have a set goal as far as weight goes (that has never worked out well for me in the past). I figured as long as I stick with my suggested caloric intake from MFP and make sure I work out AT LEAST 3-4 days a week, it is bound to happen! I mean, I gained it all by not watching what I eat at all, and not even lifting a finger as far as working out goes!

I actually wrote down a usual day's food intake one day just to see how bad I was doing, and I was pushing 3000 calories a day and not even realizing it! So far I have 827 calories, not counting my lunch (Buffalo Chicken Pie at That Pie Place in Atlanta) - I can't seem to find any of the nutrition info online. :( Bummer. Anyways, for the first time, I was able to walk/run 3 miles in less than 45 minutes! So I am making progress!

Good luck reaching your goal! You can do it!!!
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it's a pretty aggressive goal, but not impossible. Keep in mind that people often set deadlines and really aggressive goals and the thing is, weight loss is actually pretty tough and I just don't want you to get discouraged and give up because you don't meet that particular goal.

Good luck!
  • mrsoleaujr
    mrsoleaujr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello and good luck to you. I can tell you that there are many I agree with on here. It's going to depend on your dedication. I love this app for my iPhone. I started recording what I eat on July 1st and I weighed 277.5 lbs. Today I weigh 227 lbs and feel so much better. I also use the Nike running app to add my cardio. This is the best thing that could of happened- opening my eyes to the amount of caloric intake that used to eat. Stay dedicated and good luck!
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Great goal. Hope you make it.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have to leave work, don't have time for a better thought out (i.e. less blunt) answer. Bottom line--possible to lose 40lb if you kill yourself, eat unhealthily, and impact your long term health.

But looking good for Xmas sounds driven by what other people will think of you when they see you?

Why not focus instead on making yourself healthy and happy. What if you aim to lose 1lb per week, add strength training, and lose 13 lb of fat by Xmas (instead of 20 lbs of fat and 20 lbs of muscle, which is what will happen if you crash starve).

You'll be healthier, happier, have more energy, and will impress the people you see that much more. But even more importantly, if you do it for you instead of for them, the self-confidence that results will do worlds more for you physically than losing the extra 27 lbs of fat and muscle will...
  • beckysloan1
    Options
    I have just started with myfitnesspal and have lost 10 pounds the first week. I love being accountable. I have really changed my life style, and that is what you have to do, to lose the weight. You may need to do some extra walking, instead of just cycling a coupling times a week. Go for a 20 or 40 minute walk every day. Cut out salt, and drink water.. and nothing but water. That was a little hard for me, for I thought that diet coke caffeine free was ok to drink. But the aspertine in that, actually makes you crave sugar. And, you may need to measure things for a week... to make sure you are only put a tablespoon of dressing on your salad... when you realize, oh, that was actually 3 tablespoons I was using. Yes, all of this is time consuming, but it pays off. So, walk, walk, walk.... drink water, and eat healthy. Keep track of your calories here, and stay a little under what is assigned and you can do it!!!:happy:
  • jhloves2knit
    jhloves2knit Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No! There are 15 weeks left till Christmas. At your lowest possible allowed weight loss, you would lose 30 pounds, and that is...mathematical. Fat does not know deadlines. Soon I will be losing 40 pounds in the course of a year. I had my plateaus, my ups and my downs, you won't lose weight the way you calculate, this much I learned. Good luck tho ;)

I might need to reset my expectations at some point, but for now 40 lbs by Christmas is my goal.

I think that is a great, realistic attitude.
  • myah3811
    Options
    My boyfriend will eat nothing but eggs for a week and will lose 5lbs by the end of the week. Breakfast lunch and dinner! Guess u gotta be an egg person.:smile: good luck