Night Shift...........

Options
I am new to this and already excited to be part of this healthy group of people!!. I have a ?
I work midnight shift and it has been a challenge for me to maintain any diet............ I seemed to be hungry all day long. I end up drinking a lot of coffee to keep me awake and also snack a lot for the same reason. So I want to know if there is anybody that can help me with this.

Replies

• anithacherian
    Options
    I am new to this and already excited to be part of this healthy group of people!!. I have a ?
    I work midnight shift and it has been a challenge for me to maintain any diet............ I seemed to be hungry all day long. I end up drinking a lot of coffee to keep me awake and also snack a lot for the same reason. So I want to know if there is anybody that can help me with this.
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    my mom is going through the same thing.. she's a nurse that works 12 to 8a.
    she tried to eat a pretty big meal before work, as a breakfast. then she'll eat veggies or light chips as a snack.. then a progresso soup while at work.. then when she gets home she has another meal before bed.. but she tries to snack healthy.. which i think is good.. kinda helps her a big.. even though she really isn't tryin to lose weight, she doesn't want to gain any though by snackin all nite.
  • anithacherian
    Options
    Thanks a lot for ur tips.......... really appreciate it.
  • jree435
    jree435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your shift to a healthier life! :flowerforyou:

I feel your pain. I work A-shift manufacturing but often get to work to cover end of C-shift (4:30 AM - 5:30 AM)

Snacks - think fruit, cereal, those 100 calorie snack packs. As a person with a wicked sweet tooth it was a hard adjustment getting on the "eating well" wagon. I do a lot of fruit frozen grapes, watermelon etc. The snacks you switch to depend on the snacks you like now. If you like pretzels, chips and other crunchies go for vegetable pieces. Popcorn come in 100 calorie bags

I'm a huge tea drinker and have learned to put in less sugar and milk. Also increase your water intake to help cut the caffeine addiction.

Just remember this is a process so give yourself some time to adjust to your new way of life. You'll do great!!

8522.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts.
    What you eat before you go to work is your "breakfast" .... most important meal of the day (even if it is a steak and salad) so make sure you make a good, healthy, filling meal right off the bat.

Pack healthy snacks..fruits, veggies, 100 cal packs, etc. (I personally always have peanut butter and celery on hand when I am teaching).

Have a "lunch" about half way through work (or when scheduled) something like a sandwich, wrap....etc with maybe a cup of soup or a salad.

More healthy snacks!

I am not a huge water fan but I dilute a green tea or crystal light to go in a big thing of water. Make it have some zing.