Tips to eat more (bulking)

Options
I usually eat a small breakfast, a medium lunch, and a big dinner. Now , I am bulking on 2200 net calories a day which Is manageable on morning lifting days (2500 cals) but very difficult for me on evening martial arts days (2800 cal goal). I can't eat a huge dinner (more than 8-900 cals) without feeling sick during class, and I'm exhausted and not hungry at all after. Last week this meant that I had a couple thousand calories to make up by Friday and I ended up ~800 or so low. Today I tried hard to eat a lot and I will still be 550 low after I add in my class.

What are some energy dense items, that aren't too expensive, (if possible but not necessary) that I can keep at my desk, and aren't completely junk food? I'm already drinking whole milk, eating ice cream, and plan to add nuts (though holy $$).

Thanks!

Replies

• rileyhall00
    Options
    Nuts and protein shakes would be my biggest tips. Like you said that, you might feel a pinch in your pocket $$$..!!!
  • Roughy92
    Roughy92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nuts are definitely a good start. Peanuts and peanut butter are dirt cheap. Almond/cashew butter is awesome too but a bit pricey.

Oils, extra-virgin olive oil for salads, sesame oil for drizzling over stir fry, experiment!

Fattier cuts of meat, go for chicken legs over chicken breast (which also works out cheaper, btw)

Dairy can be a great source: Make sauces with cream, melt butter onto veggies or grate cheese on top of...pretty much anything. :D
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You can get a huge bag of almonds at Costco for cheap. I don't even have a membership - I just give cash to friends when I know they're going.

If you drink shakes, try blending in an avocado. I love them, but I can't even taste them in my shakes.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do not know if you or someone you know has a subscription to Costco but they sell a 9 cup of almonds for 15$ here.......that is a lot of good calories for cheap

Lol jinxes
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Avocados. Avocados, sliced, with olive oil drizzled on them and some salt and pepper. Consume a few a day and you've hit over 1000 calories without stuffing your face to the point of pain. They can get pricey (both the avocados and olive oil) so i would suggest looking at a bulk warehouse store (Sams, BJs- haha BJ- Costco, etc) and you'll be able to score massive amounts of that type of thing for great prices. Nuts, definitely, but don't forget nut butters. cheaper! peanut butter, almond, sunflower- stock up when you have a little cash and add it to everything. It's all strategic too. Shop at different stores to maximize your money. Dollar stores have more than you would think- like trail mixes, NUTS, seeds, etc.
    Good luck on your bulk, hope i was able to help a bit!
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is pretty high in calories. esp if you add in a tablespoon or two of granola, nuts or dried fruit. Happy Bulking!!
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate!!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you feel sick, you should seek medical advice asap.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options

Well that escalated quickly....

Also, OP- I just noticed you need "at your desk" items. Make your own granola! DOLLAR STORE for ingredients- dried fruits, nuts, seeds- mix it all up, eat that **** for a snack and you're golden. You can also easily make your own energy bars with the listed ingredients + nut butters &/or honey/agave.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!!!!!! Particularly for the Costco almonds, and the dollar store do-it-yourself trail mix ideas! Crackers and nut butters may go in my desk drawer too.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Carbs. Cereals, bread, Ice cream, rice, potatoes, pop tarts, tortillas.

And no I'm not joking.

Carbs definitely have their place, but I don't want to go over 40%carbs and seem to do better on a bit less than that. Ice cream is definitely on the list though!
  • lilawolf
    Options

erm.... You try eating 1000+ cals of normal food then doing extreme cardio without upsetting your stomach. You didn't read it all did you?
  • lilawolf
    Options
    Nuts are definitely a good start. Peanuts and peanut butter are dirt cheap. Almond/cashew butter is awesome too but a bit pricey.

Oils, extra-virgin olive oil for salads, sesame oil for drizzling over stir fry, experiment!

Fattier cuts of meat, go for chicken legs over chicken breast (which also works out cheaper, btw)

Dairy can be a great source: Make sauces with cream, melt butter onto veggies or grate cheese on top of...pretty much anything. :D

Love me some chicken legs! With skin if it's crispy. And yes to cheese too :) and bacon....
  • lilawolf
    Options
    So if I'm understanding this correctly, the majority of people in this thread are saying that a large portion of the increased bulk calories should come from fat? Why? How does that help besides filling calories?

OP, why are you doing extreme cardio if you are trying to bulk?

I'm doing the Krav Maga class for the self defense skills not for the exercise. It just goes hand in hand. I can't postpone either since I have almost six months paid for. Besides I would get overstrained very quickly with lifting and Krav if I was cutting. As long as I get enough carbs and protein for basic nutrition, there is nothing wrong with additional fat. Besides I asked for dense calories, which roughly translates to lots of fat. I'll keep a balance.
  • raiderzara
    raiderzara Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs! Get someone to buy them for you at Costco - get the 5-dozen flat...or buy at a Grocery Outlet if you have one. Boil 1-2 dozen on the weekend when you have 20 extra minutes, and then you're good to go all week.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    You are bulking. Which means you are eating above maintenance. If you hit your fat and protein requirements which is key then hit your fats to .4-.5g then have a ton of calories, you filled some with carbs, how much higher than .5g on fat are you going to allow yourself to go? If you are in a bulk and your fat intake is very high, you don't think that will backfire?

Listen to him, he knows his stuff.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My normally calories are 3000 , I know a lot lol. Because my meals are all stuffed up I can understand where you are coming from. After training a shake, chocolate milk or it might be a good day to have a fast food snack. That's if you want that type of treat in there. At work I am currently on nights. My 3:30 am meal is mostly a serve of Bircher Muslie (sp) , natural yoghurt, and if I have some , some extra fruit. This can add up to a lot of calories. It also feels like a dessert. I second that once protein and fats are met, carbs are a good go too. On training days have a little extra carbs with your meals. I know you said that too many carbs don't feel right, but a little extra seems to go a long way.