Diabetics? Young and Old

Options
deeboy25
deeboy25 Posts: 30
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm a diabetic, though not sure what type. If there are of you guys on here let me know so I can add you.

Replies

• Amadika
    Options
    Hi. I'm new here and diabetic. Type 1 means the body does not produce insulin (to convert sugar, starch, etc. to energy). Type 2 means the body does not produce enough insulin or cells in the body are ignoring the insulin. That's my reader's digest version. The American Diabetes Association website is a very useful site for learning more about diabetes. Here's a link to one of their web pages: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/?loc=GlobalNavDB
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    type 1=you're born with it.
    type 2= you're a fat kid/adult.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    "Old" diabetic - type 2. Because of my weight it contributed to me becoming a type 2 diabetic.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Not true.

Anyone can develop Type 1 at any age. It is most prevalent among younger people though. That is why is was also known as Juvenile Diabetes. (and no, you do not grow out of it.) It is an autoimmune disease where the insulin producing cells in the pancreas are attacked and eventually the pancreas stops working. People with Type 1 must take insulin either through injections or via insulin pumps before eating any foods containing carbohydrates.

Type 2 is a metabolic disorder where the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the insulin produced is not use sufficiently (ie converted to glucose for energy). People of normal weights also get Type 2, it is not exclusive to those that are overweight. First line of treatment is usually drugs (ie metformin) and diet/lifestyle changes. As people age, gain weight, don't make changes as well as other reasons they may need to add insulin to their treatment regimen. This does make them a Type 1.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Anyone can develop Type 1 at any age. It is most prevalent among younger people though. That is why is was also known as Juvenile Diabetes. (and no, you do not grow out of it.) It is an autoimmune disease where the insulin producing cells in the pancreas are attacked and eventually the pancreas stops working.

Type 2 is a metabolic disorder where the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or the insulin produced is not use sufficiently (ie converted to glucose for energy). People of normal weights also get Type 2, it is not exclusive to those that are overweight.
    [/quote]

I have type 2 and I agree with everything MizMimi said. I would add that if you aren't sure what type you have you probably have type 2, unless your doctor also said s/he isn't sure.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Type 2 checking in. it under controle not on any meds for it.
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm borderline type 2....I'm not processing sugar and carbs well so I'm new to watching my sugars and such. You can add me. I could use some ideas on what to eat.:happy:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Type 1 for 29 years here!
  • donjessop
    Options
    Type 2 here. Diagnosed 6 weeks ago and I've managed to drop my blood sugars 40% by using MyFitnessPal. I started Metformin, but I'm going to talk to my doctor about dropping it as my radical change in diet and its impact seems to be exceeding everyone's expectation, particularly hers.
  • rkirk1954
    rkirk1954 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Type II here. Diagnosed with it about 15 years ago. Within the last year I have joined a gym, lost about 70 lbs., eat the type of food that is low glycemic and have managed to get off all my diabetes medication. It's not easy by any means and requires a commitment to a serious lifestyle change but can be done. I didn't jump in with the idea of a quick fix as it took me 58 years to get to the point that I needed to take action. Taking your time and taking small steps in the right direction makes it much easier to achieve success. You'll hit plateaus and will stumble but endeavor to persevere. It's taken me a year and I'm now tweaking my diet and exercise to drop the last few pounds and maintain my health. With the plan of doing it for the next 58 years. :wink:
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Stupid statement of the day
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

Not true!!!
    Type 1 is auto immune and can happen at any age. It is more common in younger kids and young adults but it can happen at any time. It is sometimes associated with a history of a recent viral illness but no specific infectious agent has been identified. You produce antibodies against the cells in your pancreas that produce insulin. If the insulin is not replaced then you will die. No amount of weight loss or dietary changes will change this fact. The diagnosis is made by proving the presence of the antibodies against your pancreatic cells. I was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 60 and had only had symptoms for a few months. If I was born with it I never would have made it to 60! I'm now using an insulin pump instead of the 6-8 insulin injections I need each day before the pump.

Type 2 is caused by a progressive resistance to the action of the insulin that you make yourself. It tends to run in families so there is a genetic component to this disease. You inherit the susceptibility for this and symptoms are usually associated with excess weight, inactivity and abnormal lipid profiles. It can usually be controlled with strict dietary changes and increasing exercise. Strict carb limits and daily exercise are a large component of therapy although some type 2s need injected insulin until they loos the weight and become more active.

The only way to know if you are diabetic and what type is to get tested by your MD.
    The american diabetic association website has a lot of good information. Do your homework and find out what you need to do and what to ask you medical provider. Getting a correct diagnosis is critical to getting the right treatment as soon as posible.
    Left untreated diabetes can be deadly.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Type 2. Proud to say with weight loss and exercise the doc took me off the meds about 3 months ago. Don't let it get you down.:drinker: You can add me if you like. but the best advice is see a doc as soon as possible.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Noticing you all have Diabetes of one kind or another - I know of another treatment for type 2 - which does not involve drugs. It involves diet. You need to find Dr J McDougall MD of Santa Rosa. His treatment cures many - and you can read the testimonials. Do not let another day go by without looking into this wonderful - and free advice from a dedicated and enlightened man

Good luck to you all

Elsdon
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

So ignorant.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options

No wonder my mum had so much trouble giving birth to me, I was born as a 10 year old.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    This is my 4th topic post in the forums and like NO ONE is replying to it. Such great support here lol.

You mean you waited a whole 17 minutes before you got sarcastic ?

I would love to support you, but it's difficult if you don't even know what diabetes you have . In order to be treated correctly ( even if it is just through diet ) you need to know. Get a blood test and find out.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    type 2 here , was off meds due to weight loss, stress caused me to regain it, now back trying to lose it again and stay off meds.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Type 2 here, no meds due to weight loss and diet.

Oh and to the guy who thinks type 2 in limited to "fat people" go read what diabetes is, and then come back to tell us what you learned. Tool.
  • Harborjay
    Options
    Type 2, since Aug, I was put on Glipizide and Metformin to control mine. I agree with elsdonward, I am changing my lifestyle and diet to eventually stay off of the medications. I have already been able to drop the metformin and still keep my sugars within range. Hopefully by the end of Sept. I can cut my other one in half. I believe by changing the way I eat, this will in turn cause me to loose weight and get off the meds.
This discussion has been closed.