Insanity & Vertigo

Options
So I started Insanity last monday 9/2 and ive felt fine until Saturday night. got a horrible migraine and soon after started to feel very very dizzy/light headed. Still felt dizzy on Sunday, migraine not as bad, this was also my rest day from Insanity. Monday I started again based on the calendar and I felt dizzy the whole way through and for the remainder of the day (I look off work). Today I am back at work and STILL extremely dizzy / heavy headed / spacey. I went to a walk in clinic and he says it sounds like vertigo and to stay hydrated, gave me motion sickness meds and said not to "exercise TOO intensely". Has anyone experienced vertigo while starting Insanity? Or any other intense workout? Should I take a rest toniht or go through it just not as intensely? I hate to get off schedule :( thanks

Replies

• Konfetti123
    Konfetti123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I felt the same when I did it for only 7 days last year. Horrible.
    You might need to up your calorie intake, is your deficit fairly huge? And water, water water water!
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i bumped my calories from 1400 to 1600 (calculated it based on the Insanity the nutrition guide) and I drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. i feel like all the jumping might have something to do with it, like ive been knocked off balance? i dont know
  • Konfetti123
    Konfetti123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    do you eat back the calories you burn doing Insanity? Otherwise the huge deficit (1600cal - burned calories) seems low. Maybe you should give it a try and up your calories by 200-300 ?!
  • cfredz
    Options
    Yes I usually eat them back even though i dont think im supposed to? Since I'm trying to lose weight not maintain it
  • ewarlow
    ewarlow Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have you been sleeping alright? I had a bout of vertigo lastnight and Im assuming it was brought on by lack of sleep - I've just recently upped my calorie intake so Im sure it isnt that for me

Regardless I hope you can find a solution, its not pleasant!
  • cfredz
    Options
    Have you been sleeping alright? I had a bout of vertigo lastnight and Im assuming it was brought on by lack of sleep - I've just recently upped my calorie intake so Im sure it isnt that for me

Regardless I hope you can find a solution, its not pleasant!

i have been sleeping okay, not the greatest esp since i had a migraine (downgraded to a tension headache) since saturday. my bed sucks and i have kittens who keep me up lol. i do go to bed as early as possible.
    i got meds from the dr today and i am going to try a few exercises i read were good for vertigo (http://www.webmd.com/brain/brandt-daroff-exercise-for-vertigo-16844) because i cant take it anymore! i feel like spacey like i'm on drugs and nauseous
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and had to eat at least 1800 calories per day when I was doing P90X. If I eat too little I get vertigo and can pass out.

1600 is my rest day intake to lose weight. You may want to think about increasing more on workout days. Too large a deficit can be counterproductive. You want to be eating no less than 80% of your TDEE.
  • cfredz
    Options
    im also very upset that i can't do Insanity tonight :( i was thinking of doing it but not as intensely but i dont know if i should
  • cfredz
    Options
    I'm hypoglycemic and had to eat at least 1800 calories per day when I was doing P90X. If I eat too little I get vertigo and can pass out.

1600 is my rest day intake to lose weight. You may want to think about increasing more on workout days. Too large a deficit can be counterproductive. You want to be eating no less than 80% of your TDEE.

Based on the Insanity calorie counter my TDEE is 2333.5, I was using moderty active not "very active' (work out 6-7 days a week) so once i updated it i should be at 1800. not 1600. I guess I should increase??
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would start looking at an electrolyte imbalance. If you eat pretty clean, you diet may be naturally low in sodium. While this is good in some respects, it can be dangerous in other respects. This condition may be exacerbated if you are on a medication, such as a high blood pressure medication, that contains a diuretic such as hydrochlorothiazide. If you are being treated for a migraine, many migraine medications also contain a diuretic.

If you are feeling light headed or dizzy, it is not something to mess around with. Conditions like low potassium can cause heart arrhythmia, and although it is not usually severe, it can be life threatening.

Although you've done the right thing by seeing you physician, they sometimes don't understand unless you ask the right questions.

Good luck, and hopefully you can resume shortly.
  • jtrain252
    jtrain252 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Also realize that you are probably easily burning 500-600 calories if your going at it with insanity so your deficit of 1600 a day might be low sorry to hear about your vertigo
  • cfredz
    Options
    Also realize that you are probably easily burning 500-600 calories if your going at it with insanity so your deficit of 1600 a day might be low sorry to hear about your vertigo

I have a HEM and its been around 340-370 doing insanity! I am going to up my calories tho
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I started getting vertigo while exercising this year. Turned out to be vestibular migraines and was advised to change my diet, namely eliminating caffeine, chocolate and yellow cheese. Gave up caffeine and that did the trick. However, my vertigo came in short spurts, but frequent throughout the day.

I was referred to a Neuro otologist, who did some tests and a MRI. I suggest if it continues, get it checked out, especially since the symptoms are continuing after exercise.
  • cfredz
    Options
    I started getting vertigo while exercising this year. Turned out to be vestibular migraines and was advised to change my diet, namely eliminating caffeine, chocolate and yellow cheese. Gave up caffeine and that did the trick. However, my vertigo came in short spurts, but frequent throughout the day.

I was referred to a Neuro otologist, who did some tests and a MRI. I suggest if it continues, get it checked out, especially since the symptoms are continuing after exercise.

I am definitely planning on seeing my primary dr and requesting bloodwork done. I am worried i could be deficient in some nutrients (i dont eat meat, dairy or wheat)
  • MrOutfit
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but your calorie intake is too low.

INSANITY isn't your regular type of workout, most people feel that after Insanity they are hungry for a period 48 hours.

Also in some cases low potassium can cause vertigo.

I hope its just a lack of calories and nothing serious that requires too much medical attention.

Hope for the best :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    im also very upset that i can't do Insanity tonight :( i was thinking of doing it but not as intensely but i dont know if i should

the doctor told you not to work out too intensely... why dont you go for a walk for an hour instead?
  • cfredz
    Options

the doctor told you not to work out too intensely... why dont you go for a walk for an hour instead?

I guess I can do that or do some yoga at home. I am feeling a bit better today, just a little heavy headed with some pressure in my temples. not feeling the room spinning anymore.
  • viridianvex
    Options
    I had the exact same problem, and it is super frustrating! I started the Insanity workout in August and kept getting extremely dizzy for days afterwards. I had to stop doing it because of that, and I still get dizzy spells. When I went to the doctor, she told me that I probably have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, so I started looking up remedies for it. There's a method called the Epley's maneuver that I want to try because it's supposed to guide the loose ear crystals back to where they belong, so it goes away. Insanity supposedly messed up the small bones in my ear. I thought it had something to do with the fact that I'm an ovo-vegetarian, so I started to take a multi-vitamin, which has helped a little bit, but the dizziness is definitely from my ear. Does this sound like the same thing you're experiencing?
  • Yodifer
    Yodifer Posts: 87
    Options
    certain moves in Insanity do make me feel sick, in particular "hit the floor" it makes me sick almost instantly. I just skip it. Take it easy and I would recommend upping your calories, or pay attention to your body....are you going too hard?
  • cfredz
    Options
    I had the exact same problem, and it is super frustrating! I started the Insanity workout in August and kept getting extremely dizzy for days afterwards. I had to stop doing it because of that, and I still get dizzy spells. When I went to the doctor, she told me that I probably have Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, so I started looking up remedies for it. There's a method called the Epley's maneuver that I want to try because it's supposed to guide the loose ear crystals back to where they belong, so it goes away. Insanity supposedly messed up the small bones in my ear. I thought it had something to do with the fact that I'm an ovo-vegetarian, so I started to take a multi-vitamin, which has helped a little bit, but the dizziness is definitely from my ear. Does this sound like the same thing you're experiencing?

Yes this is basically exactly what i experienced. I went to two different doctors, one did nothing for me the other told me to take a motion sickness medication which made me really tired. so i upped my calories, took about a week off and did the Brandt-Daroff exercise where you turn on your side over and over again. it went away and i started back up again. i am an ovo-pescetarian (i only eat fish, no dairy, also no gluten for the most part as i have a sensitivity) and started taking multiviatmins too. i feel better! once in a while if i jumped too hard ill feel dizzy and take a break.