Strong Curves

Options
I am thinking of getting the book and would appreciate anyone's thoughts opinions or experiences as to whether this would be a good programme for me.

My goals are to build muscle, lose some body fat, improve my fitness and stamina.

Currently I have been doing strong lift 5x5, not for very long and I have seen some improvement in my strength and my body composition, I am alternating with 30 day shred.

I like it because it is straight forward, quick and easy to follow. It is free to download and is a written format which helps me as most of my internet time is in work and so youtube is a problem.

I think I will rapidly get fed up with this because there is very little day to day variation in the workout;
I am eating at something of deficit so obviously my gains will not be amazing;
It is not a programme which I am expecting to do much for my stamina or really a lot in terms of fat loss;
If there are no racks and bars available at the gym I have not really got much alternative in the way of other exercises

So my options are currently, possibly to book a PT session or 2 at the gym, unfortunately you have no way to book a trainer who has particular skills, they do not match you up with someone to meet your requirements.
To look at a different programme, Strong Curves appeals because I like the way the guy writes his blog and he seems to really know his stuff. I know there is a lot out there. I would like something fairly straightforward to follow but maybe with more than 5 exercises in total. I like the progression in strong lifts but don't have a real drive to lift more every time.
I want to be (and I am) functionally strong. I can tote 2 15kg bags of dog food around, I can get my motorbike off the deck if it falls over, I can lift stuff that I need moving etc. I have no concerns about building muscle or anything like that.

I have heard about nrolfw and I don't know much about it other than the author wrote a preface for strong curves and sings it's praises. I have heard that it is not a totally balanced approach and that some muscle groups get a bit neglected in nrolfw.

I could look at starting strength or perhaps texas method(?) but again I have the difficulty of getting on youtube etc. Also, with a book I get the benefit of either taking it with me or of copying bits for the gym. I think prefer the idea of working something which is geared to women lifting rather than a generic thing like SL or SS.

The reviews I have seen of strong curves seem good, I have not looked into nrolfw as much. I think mainly I am drawn to this as I like the style of the guys writing. Was wondering if anyone had any sort of experience with either or both. Or any other suggestions?

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Hmmm never heard of that book... im doing stronglifts.. I love it cause its easy to follow.. and I love increasing the weights :) good luck with whatever you go with :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Haven't read it, but I'm a big Bret Contreras fan.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you don't like strong lifts- you aren't going to like NROLW either.

They are programs. they are programs for weight lifting- and there isn't a crap ton of variety in there. That muscle confusion stuff is mostly a gimmick to make people like you who have short attention spans purchase them. (No offense- that's just reality)

The success of a program comes through following the program- and rarely from the "genius new X, Y or Z" so and so offered.

The biggest trick to success? patience and doing the "boring" things.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I agree ^^^ patience, you have to give it AT LEAST the 12 weeks if not more to start to see a change, and change will be slower with the extra exercise and cal deficit.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it's not so much a lack of progress just that I know I will want more in time (I know how my brain works). I like the routine for now and I am not throwing it all out just yet but on the basis that I want a little more from a programme than just gaining strength I was looking at this as a possible next step towards my overall body composition and fitness.
  • roxylola
    Options
    Bumping because I can't believe with the number of times I have seen links to this guys blog nobody has his book!
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Same here. I hear, it's worth your read.I need to buy it :)
  • Lollypopems
    Options
    I am currently doing the Strong Curves program. I have 2 more weeks of the Advanced Program in his book. It is a great program! I love it. I have gotten a TON of compliments from people saying I'm in great shape, to people saying I look like I've lost weight (even though my scale weight hasn't changed, I'm lifting heavy, progressing each session so my body composition has changed for the better). I highly recommend it, the workouts are great and they change every 4 weeks so you can progress with certain exercises then they change so you don't get too bored.
  • roxylola
    Options
    Hallelujah! I knew somebody must be doing it lol!

The book is very expensive on amazon - alternative is to buy a kindle (really honestly not at all that I am just waiting for an excuse to get one, not at all nonononono) and then it is just £7. Do you have the book or the kindle? Do kindle downloads come with pictures?
  • Lollypopems
    Options
    LOL, I have the book. There is a Strong Curves group on Facebook, if you use FB I would join the group and then you can ask tons of questions and relate to ladies on there who are also doing the program. Also, you could determine if it's right for you or not before you spend the $ on the book or download.

Regarding the Kindle, I heard from a lot of ladies on the FB group that it doesn't format correctly because of the pictures on workout descriptions so I would just stick with the hardcopy.
  • roxylola
    Options
    Rats, I had a feeling that might be the case and obviously if I spend money on a kindle suddenly the book looks cheap lol!

Thanks for the tip bout facebook though, I shall have a look
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I just bought the book the other day, I've read it, and I've printed off the workout logs and pictures references. I am starting it tonight! My butt is a typical 40 yr old butt, shapeless, despite heavy lifting for a couple months now. I need to use some exercises that target that area.
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for making this post. I found it while trying to find a solution to my lower back pain from deadlifts. I thought I needed to strengthen my core, but now know I need to ramp up my glute exercises. I'm doing Stronglifts right now, and I love it, but realize I'm not really feeling any glute activation. I've got the book on hold at the library, and if I like it, I will definetly pay the price on Amazon.
  • roxylola
    Options
    ooh hope your back sorts itself out with more glute work. Let us know how you go on with the book. My current plan is to not spend any more money til the end of the month (just bought some new make up) and continue with my SL and shred. Then get the book. By the time I have ordered it and read it I should be at the end of the 30ds and with my SL I should have a good head start with strength to crack on with the guys book. I may still alternate a bit with SL - if nothing else they are great for when time is a little short at the gym as it is all compound lifts and you get a good body work out in a fairly short time. But the guy talks a lot of sense and seems to have a really good understanding of how womens bodies work and also from what I have read their minds too. I reckon it's worth the gamble.
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Hallelujah! I knew somebody must be doing it lol!

The book is very expensive on amazon - alternative is to buy a kindle (really honestly not at all that I am just waiting for an excuse to get one, not at all nonononono) and then it is just £7. Do you have the book or the kindle? Do kindle downloads come with pictures?

Thanks!
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about it, I'm on week 9 of SL and plan on doing Strong Curves afterwards. However any progressive weight training program is going to be repetitive. It's how they are designed, if SL bored you then it's not likely you will find Strong Curves any more scintillating.
  • roxylola
    Options
    Actually, not so much. I got the book and there are 3 different routines a week, and divided up in to 4 week blocks before the exercises change. Enough for variety, but simple enough not to confuse me (much)
  • Appalachia7
    Appalachia7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased Strong Curves.I really like it so far. I started with the Bootyful beginnings workouts and this week I will have completed the first program (weeks 1-4) and will move on to weeks 5-8. I have been doing it either 3 or 4 times a week, and I do think my butt is starting to have a nicer rounder shape. I do most of the workouts at home with handweights, chin up bar, etc (rather than at the gym) so I often modify the exercises that use specialized gym equipment. One of the nice things about the book is that there are a lot of options for moves to workout a particular muscle or area, so if I'm not at the gym I can find another move I can do at home. Some of the week 1-4 exercises were too easy (like bodyweight glute bridges) so I add handweights across my hips to make them harder.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have the book. I bought it mostly because of the glute work. When I injured myself, the doctor told me that a contributing factor is "weak glutes." I have read most of it, but I have to say that I find it somewhat overwhelming, probably because I am a strength training newbie. I got a few exercises out of it, specifically for glutes, and I do those, but not regularly enough to notice a difference. Like you, I'm not crazy about boring stuff.

I've decided to give the personal trainer a try. I think that you should be able to interview any personal trainer that you might be working with. It's not like you need them to be a friend, but you should be able to work with them. Go to the trainer with a list of goals and say "Can you help me with these?" Probably the answer will be "yes", because it doesn't sound like you want anything really weird.

Remember that a trainer works for you, not the other way around. You hire them for their expertise, so of course you should generally listen to them, but if they start going in a direction you don't like, then talk to them about it, and if that doesn't work you can always change trainers.
  • ironbutterfly_
    Options
    I recently purchased Strong Curves.I really like it so far. I started with the Bootyful beginnings workouts and this week I will have completed the first program (weeks 1-4) and will move on to weeks 5-8. I have been doing it either 3 or 4 times a week, and I do think my butt is starting to have a nicer rounder shape. I do most of the workouts at home with handweights, chin up bar, etc (rather than at the gym) so I often modify the exercises that use specialized gym equipment. One of the nice things about the book is that there are a lot of options for moves to workout a particular muscle or area, so if I'm not at the gym I can find another move I can do at home. Some of the week 1-4 exercises were too easy (like bodyweight glute bridges) so I add handweights across my hips to make them harder.

I was wondering about the equipment.....thanks!