Anyone else into Boxing/boxing fitness here?

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
Don't recall ever seeing a post on boxing and boxing fitness.
I recently started doing boxing fitness and boxing training with a qualified trainer and am enjoying it, though it is extremely hard work.

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You should try asking in one of the Crossfit groups. You might have better luck finding someone -- as Crossfit is not so different from the training many MMA people do.
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    I've done some in the past. I'd love to get back into it. I loved it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I used to go to an all women's boxing class twice a week. It was a great workout. I was in great shape and looked amazing. Then I had a baby and because of the time commitment and lack of a babysitter, I haven't been able to get back to it. Wish I could. Got great results with fewer hours. Of course I was under 30 at the time. Everything looks better at 25 than 35.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I used to go to an all women's boxing class twice a week. It was a great workout. I was in great shape and looked amazing. Then I had a baby and because of the time commitment and lack of a babysitter, I haven't been able to get back to it. Wish I could. Got great results with fewer hours. Of course I was under 30 at the time. Everything looks better at 25 than 35.

True, I am a late starter at 38, but was pretty fit to begin with, according to the trainer anyway. Not ventured into a womens boxing class yet but I have noticed it is mostly women who end up taking these boxing fitness classes.

I had no idea this sort of training was similar to crossfit. Do not do heavy weights or anything, or climbing ropes, and that sort of thing that crossfit seems to involve.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I used to train at a Gold's Gym and did it all; shadowboxing, speedbag, speedrope, heavy bag, one on one with trainer, sparring... It was the best shape of my life! I can't find the same experience again, so haven't been doing it. I've been to other places and I don't' get as pumped. That coach had had two sons win the Golden Gloves championships in Chicago. He was just great to train with.

So enjoy! I agree it's an awesome workout! I've been doing speed rope and having flashbacks, lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I used to train at a Gold's Gym and did it all; shadowboxing, speedbag, speedrope, heavy bag, one on one with trainer, sparring... It was the best shape of my life! I can't find the same experience again, so haven't been doing it. I've been to other places and I don't' get as pumped. That coach had had two sons win the Golden Gloves championships in Chicago. He was just great to train with.

So enjoy! I agree it's an awesome workout! I've been doing speed rope and having flashbacks, lol.

Oh, sounds great! Wish we had a gym like that where I am.
    As is, my trainer is qualified in both boxing and kickboxing and seems to know his stuff.
    Not done all of those things yet though. Not a clue what speed rope is. Shall have to research.
  • vorpal_plum
    Options
    I hope to get into kick boxing (:
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of doing boxing training against a heavy bag. That is hard work! I mix in jump roping and some plyometrics between boxing sets. I am no boxer but I still do a variety of punches so as to work different parts of chest and shoulders. Someday I may make the jump you did and find a qualified trainer to work with ... or a class. Thanks for the post!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there are a couple of us around. Three or four of my MFP friends are doing boxing. I'm also into it. I take a boxing class a couple of times a week and it's a great workout. I started when I was a kid and fell out of it (and gained weight) for a while when family and career responsibilities snowballed. But I'm back. Except this time my training partner is my son, who has a burning desire to learn it. It's great father-son bonding.
  • StaceySaysRelax
    StaceySaysRelax Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did boxing and kickboxing at L.A. Boxing for about a month, but it was a little too hard on my knees and knuckles even with the gloves and bandages. I now do Body Combat at Golds and love it. It's shadow kickboxing with a little karate and other things mixed in.
  • brucedcruz3
    Options
    If you want to get into martial arts strength and conditioning, check this out. http://bigbrucesreviews.com/mma-ripped-review.
    let me know what you think
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My cousin is a trainer, so when we get the chance he helps me out a bit with boxing! I don't do it all the time, but I have my own bag at home to take stress out on! :P
    I'm in the process of learning everything right now, but add me if you want some support on the subject :) I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help, but its nice to have mfp buddies with similar exercise regimens! :)
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing three times a week. It is a great burn, acts as therapy after a stressful day, and makes me feel strong and fierce!
  • Axioml
    Axioml Posts: 29
    Options
    Boxing now then adding Muay Thai.

44738914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • BoxingMommy2
    Options
    I got into boxing a few years ago after the birth of my second child and it is a great workout!! I like it so much I have my first fight on Friday night!!

Joan
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Don't recall ever seeing a post on boxing and boxing fitness.
    I recently started doing boxing fitness and boxing training with a qualified trainer and am enjoying it, though it is extremely hard work.
    Kickboxing certified and I instruct it on bags/focus mitts with gloves. Many have no idea how tough 3 minutes really is when boxing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs doing just boxing/kickboxing workouts against a heavy bag and I threw in some mitt work too. It's an amazing workout.
  • italral
    italral Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a heavy bag in the garage, and I love it. Throw in some jump rope and kettlebell swings, and you'll build up a serious sweat. Anyone feel free to add me (please leave a message so I know where you came from).