is it possible to avoid loose skin?

Options
I need to lose at least 100 lbs. But I am terrified of having loose skin! I used to weigh 170 and in the past five years Ive gone up to 270. I know need to lose weight but I'm almost more scared of how I will look if I actually do get the weight off. I feel like that fear is holding me back.

Replies

• Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight slowly, then your skin has enough time to recover... There's this girl I follow on Instagram who has lost 110lbs and she has no loose skin at all... she said that using a neoprene belt while doing cardio helped her keeping her skin tight.
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    what is a neoprene belt and where do I find one?
  • Ignaura
    Ignaura Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It;s actually called "waist trimmer"

Here's one http://goo.gl/KZaETB it's supposed to help you lose water weight and inches from the waist... I might get one
  • NinjaMaid
    NinjaMaid Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bio-oil helps firm skin and body wraps can help also.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Moisturize like lotion is going out of style. It will help.
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Being young is In your favor...your skin loses it's elasticity as we get older.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    If you are under 40, you should still have a lot of elasticity in your skin. If you are over 40, not so much. Look at my picture.....my profile says I have lost 56 pounds.....but 10 years ago I lost twice that. I do have lose shin around my middle, and would love a tummy tuck, but I really NEEDED a car. So, I don't wear bikinis....I never could wear one anyway. Put things into perspective. If you don't lose excess weight, you are at risk of heart disease and diabetes.....lose skin isin't as bad at that, and it can easily be covered up. Someday you will think...new car or plastic surgery. At this point in my life, I'll take the car. I hit my goal weight this week, and just picked up my Mini Cooper Convertible!!! Best of luck on your journey.....Peace be with you.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When I was 21, I lost 80lbs in 3 months. I still have loose skin from that. Now I'm losing weight more gradually & don't have any additional loose skin. Good luck!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Lose it slow, eat balanced meals, lots of water and exercise will keep that away. Make sure you add resistance training in a few days a week along with your cardio. I lost before and it wasn't loose. Now I am back again because I didn tkeep it up.
  • rabbit1057
    Options
    Thanks for posting that question because I read all of the responses. I'm also on a mission to lose 100 pounds and is worried about sagging skin. Good luck.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you won't know til you get there. But I absolutely prefer my loose skin to the extra pounds, and can't imagine deciding to keep the weight on to avoid it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Being young is In your favor...your skin loses it's elasticity as we get older.

^^^^This.
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    thanks for the feedback everyone! it was helpful and encouraging :happy:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    - don't lose too quickly - give your skin time to catch up.
    - don't panic if you have times when it looks loose - sometimes it looks worse just before it starts to look awesome
    - it takes your skin a little longer to adjust to the weight loss, so your skin can still tighten up significantly, even when you're done losing the weight

- give your body the best tools possible for keeping that skin healthy - get lots of fluids, and a wide variety of foods to make sure you get all the vitamins your skin needs for repair. Stack the cards in your favor!

Good luck - you can do this!
  • lynda3y9
    lynda3y9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i'm older and have not lost much weight yet but i have noticed my skin is somewhat looser... i hope it tightens up as i lose more- plus i am concerned about the 'mother's apron' getting any worse - and i have stretchmarks from pregnancies so extra 'skin' from that as well. But I think being fitter, healthier and leaner will make up for it.....isn't that why then invented spanx? :-)

you're young ---- any problem would likely be temporary as someone else mentioned and it's motivation to lose the weight now rather than prolong it.

wondering it there any older members who have lost 50+ pounds found what helps our ol'folk's skin?
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/view/37441077

Here is link to another girl's post that lost A LOT of weight! She looks AMAZING! Her arms arms really what got me! Hope this inspires you to start your journey :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    No one wants to think that loose skin is what's waiting for them after putting in all this effort, but honestly, it's better to be thin and healthy with loose skin than to be obese.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am also in your boat, about the loose skin. I have 100 to over 100 to lose too. I'm so scared about loose skin, its right there with scared that I wont lost anything. Either way I turn I'm scared, so to speak.
  • cassandraallegre
    Options
    STRENGTH TRAINING!!!! Even if it's just body weight stuff!! You need to build muscle to burn the fat, not just do cardio to lose quickly. Too much cardio without a balance of strength training will make you "skinny fat" - aka your body fat percentage will go UP and you'll end up with the extra drape-age that you're trying to avoid.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    Body brush and slather yourself in almond/grapseed oil every day.