Protein bar - worth it?

Options
I have a token for a shop that I work near. After next week I'm not going to be here so I need to spend this money this week.
There's nothing I need and it's a pretty small running shop but they sell Clif Builder Protein bars and I was considering buying some to help my get my protein as I'm struggling to eat enough.

But when I looked at the calories, carbs, protein etc. it looks like I could eat a Clif Bar or I could eat my breakfast again (scrambled eggs, ham, toast).

Am I missing the point - is there something else beneficial about protein bars other than convenience?

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Nope. Good protein and convenience.

I make sure mine have 18g-20g of protein, or I don't get them.

I try to only eat them on days I know i'm gonna exercise a lot. More calories burned more calories to play with.

I'm having one for lunch today.. and maybe tuna with it. Personal trainer appointment today and I made him promise to kick my butt and Zumba afterwards. Gonna need the calories! Can't wait!!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    No, you're not missing anything. Some days I need the convenience of a protein bar, some days I like a protein shake, and some days I just go home and make chicken. It's up to you where your protein comes from. As long as you're getting enough, it doesn't matter.

ETA: If you do decide to go for the Clif bars, try the mint chocolate chip. Those are my fave. :love:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, the Clif Builder Chocolate Mint is to die for!! For a while there I was eating one every day for breakfast. But as good as they are, I got tired of them after a while. And I found another bar with the same amount of protein but less calories.

The protein bar is pretty much the same as protein powder. It's an easy way to get more protein in while adding some variety to you diet. Instead of eating another piece of chicken or more yogurt, you have a bar or a shake.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Think Thin protein bars are yummy too!!

Try them!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are better!!
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your opinions on the protein bars. I've priced them and can't afford to buy them. But, I'm able to buy some whey protein powder that has 30g of protein powder per scoop from WalMart and I mix that with unsweetened vanilla almondmilk I buy in bulk when it is on sale too. I'm glad to know that I'm not missing anything by not being able to afford the protein bars.
    Amy
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the only ones worth it to me. Low in carbs, sugar and yummy!
  • KaylaRaela
    KaylaRaela Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Quest bars are the best for you! Most protein bars are "glorified candy bars".
  • Kai_Tea
    Kai_Tea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    PLEASE tell me how you lost 100lbs.. thats exactly what I need to do. And out weights are fairly the same. I started at 246.. and need to get to 145
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Quest bars are the best for you! Most protein bars are "glorified candy bars".

Exactly. I stopped buying protein bars.