Protein????

Options
I'm getting quite annoyed with myself!! Everyday since I started MFP I have managed to be under my calorie goal and under my fat goal. But I can't seem to get the hang of staying within my protein goal for the day!!

My question is.... Is too much protein as harmful as too many calories and fat???
How can I cut it down if it is bad for me???

Any help would be greatly appreciated=]=]

Replies

• cakefarm
    Options
    Too much protein? Absolutely not. Especially when you are following a calorie restrictive diet as your body is very likely to pull energy from your muscle. I mean, I'm sure there is an amount that would be counter productive but you are unlikely to be able to consume that amount.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    NOPE! Chances are, your protein goal is set too low!
  • mjgriff44
    Options
    I am drinking protein shakes...usually well under my calorie goal but doubling up on protein.....I am losing weight, feeling good. I was wondering the same thing as you.....
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    As long as you are a healthy person, extra protien isn't a problem.
    If you do a search on the boards there are a ton of posts on this.
    I go over in protien all the time.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    MFP defaults the protein a bit low so many people go into the custom option and change it anyway. What you are doing is perfect! Keep up the good work!
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
    Was really worried that I would stop myself from losing weight by having too much!!
    The funny thing is it's only coming from things like grilled fish and chicken so it can't be that bad!!

Thanks again=]
  • Markymark1
    Options
    Protein is the building block of amino acids and will fight off fat and keep your metabolism up to par where it needs to be. when im cutting on calories and carbs i make up for it in proteins and either drink or eat my body weight in grams of protein daily. my .02 cents
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Yeah women don't get enough protien. You need as much as possible!!!!!!! I aim for 115 or so aday.
  • RRodine
    Options
    I had the same concerns, so I asked my kickboxing instructor who is a fitness fanatic, and she says that "if you are working out and trying to build muscle then you need more protein because protein is what builds your muscles."

So now, I am not even going to pay attention to the protein.

Hope this helps.
  • cakefarm
    Options
    My trainer recommends 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight while dieting.
  • mandy0304
    mandy0304 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.indoorclimbing.com/Protein_Requirement.html

That is a website that you can enter in your weight and height to see what your proper protein intake should be.

I was reading that too much protein (high protein diets) can be harmful if it exceeds more that 30% of your caloric intake. Too much protein can be harmful on the kidneys because of the toxic buildup if ketones.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900
    That is a website on that protein being harmful.

Just thought I would share what I know because I wondering the same thing the other. If anything it's some interesting information to know if you are dieting; I thought so anyway. Hope this helps.
  • emmyworthy
    emmyworthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks soooo much for all the opinions and help.

The website you gave me Mandy; http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50900

told me that for every pound you carry on your body you should have 0.36g of protein. So I worked out that at 215lbs I should be getting 77.4g of protein a day which is much more than MFP says I should have. So I've decided that if I don't go over 77.4 then my body will be fine=]

Thanks
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I eat between 150 and 170 grams of protein a day (i weight 140 lbs). If your lifting weights and on a restricted calorie diet, then your body could eat your muscle for energy if you're not consuming enough. I aim for 1-1.5 g. per pound I weigh