scale not budging, how frustrating! Need help.

Hi, need to vent...I have been on mfp since end of July. I lost 6 pounds...then gained 3 back....for the last 3 weeks the scale wont budge. Ok...I was trying to do tdee but thought maybe that is why I gianed so stopped. Looked at IIFYM...once again, scale not budging...so now I am just totally confused with the do this, dont do this..I guess I am lost and misguided. I changed my profile so many times looking back at my reports dont make sense. I am tired of those around me consistently losing....I want to be a Loser too! HA! Ok...whew..feel a little better to get that out. Now...if there is anyone out there that would like to take me on as there personal project and work with me to get that scale to move please send me a message. Serious helpers please. THANKS.:sad:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    With close to 50 pounds to lose, set MFP to "Lose 1 pound a week."

Buy a digital food scale. Use it.

I would suggest sticking with just MFP's numbers for now. Use their exercise calories, use the guided Macros...just use the site as it is meant to be used. It works, keep it simple.

Then stick to it for at least a month. You've got to be consistent for any system to work. MFP is fine - just use it the way it is designed to be used. Thousands of people do and it works. But if you keep changing things you don't have any good data to work with.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    I would suggest sticking with just MFP's numbers for now. Use their exercise calories, use the guided Macros...just use the site as it is meant to be used. It works, keep it simple.

Then stick to it for at least a month. You've got to be consistent for any system to work. MFP is fine - just use it the way it is designed to be used. Thousands of people do and it works. But if you keep changing things you don't have any good data to work with.

^ This is excellent advice. I'll just emphasize a few additional points:

- Use a food scale religiously. If you just estimate, you're likely to seriously underestimate how many calories you're eating. Be skeptical of food labels, too. I buy one brand of bread that gives calories per 43 g slice, but most slices are more like 48-50 g, a 5-10% difference.

- Log EVERYTHING you eat. Even a 5 calorie pickle.

- Don't trust MFP's estimates for calories burned when exercising. They tend to be exaggerated. If I cycle fast (17 mph) for an hour, I'll burn 650 calories. MFP tells me I've burned almost 1000. The difference is a tenth of a pound's worth of fat.

- After a month, look at the difference between what MFP predicted and what you actually lost. Use that data to calibrate. I find that with MFP set to 1.5 lbs./week, if I meet my target I actually lose more like 1.2 lbs. That means that either my metabolism is at the low end of the normal range or that I'm underestimating calories burnt or overestimating exercise burn. If I wanted to lose 1.5/week, I'd adjust my calorie goal downwards, but since I'm happy with 1-1.2 lbs./week, I haven't changed anything. (I don't always meet my goal!)
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Hi! First off - I love the Cuyahoga River Valley - I lived in Hudson. OH for 18 months & fell in love with the area.

Excellent advice given above in my opinion.

I don't know what you set your profile to, or what your diary looks like. If I were you I'd reset my activity level to sedentary (or the next level up if you have a very active job) and set a goal to lose 1#/week. You should have a calorie goal of somewhere around 17-1800? This will represent a 500 calorie deficit (500x7 days = 3500 = 1#). You need to try to eat at that level, and yes, it's important to measure & weigh everything. If you are not that precise, then figure in about 200 calories less each day. If you exercise, log it & eat back about half those calories. Eat 3 meals & 3 small snacks/day. Personally I like to eat lots of vegetables because they fill me up & I get more bang for my buck than if I eat junk which is high in calories. You "should" see a loss of a pound/week following this procedure... if not, then you are not accurately measuring/logging your food. You will have highs and lows, so don't freak out. I have a goal of 2#/week - most weeks I'm close, but sometimes I lose 3#+ and others I stay the same.

Sodium plays a HUGE part in my weight - if I eat out or eat lots of commercial/pre-made food I will hold water for a few days because normally I try to keep my sodium pretty low. I'm close to your age & even though I'm almost through "the change" I still get hormonal almost every month which makes be bloat & have cravings so I just try to work through it & not give in too much. Be patient & give it time to work for you. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Thanks for your advice. I do have a digital scale and use it. I have opened up my diary. There are only a handful of days in the last 6 weeks I didnt log my meals. The exercise calculations on mfp is convoluted because I am running and not walking at that pace. I just choose what is closest. I wear a chest HR monitor and have it programmed to my specifications. So it says I burned so many calories but mfp says different. So s trainer at my gym told me to use ky HR calculations minus 20%. I have a desk job but aim to workout 5 days a week...so is this really sedentary?
  • breihana
    breihana Posts: 2 Member
    All the advice here is amazing! I know that you can plateau when constantly doing the same exercise at the same pace and the same goes for diet and what we eat.

The MFP calories burned is not accurate and I use on-line calculators to work it out.

I have found cutting sugar, sodium and bread from my diet has helped me with my first month of weight loss.

I not only weigh myself I also measure my waist and chest.

Great info from everyone! You are doing great Ktpod!
  • mcbrescia
    mcbrescia Posts: 2 Member
    I set my activity level to sedentary even though I work out strenuously almost every day. As a result I have 1370 calories a day plus exercise calories. According to my heart rate monitor I burn about 500 - 700 a day exercising, I try not to use all of these calories keeping total calories around 1600- 1700. Seems to be working. Last week I did not weigh myself every day, because the fluctuations frustrate me. So right now I am trying to weigh myself only once a week and be as consistent as possible with tracking.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    I've started a group on here to help with motivating those of us who've had some setbacks. It's called Starting Back at Square One if anyone is interested :flowerforyou:
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    I hope you take AliciaG's advice. She sounds experienced. It is good that you excersize, and don't worry about MFP as their calculating software, gets really confused, if you start earning kcal, from your daily workout. I suggest you join a gym, and get monitored by one of their qualified personal fitness trainers. I am afraid there's no 'real' alternatives online.
  • Laurasplanet
    Laurasplanet Posts: 1 Member
    I have been on MFP for nearly 3 weeks. The scale didn't budge the first week 1/2. Then, suddenly boom...I lost 5 lbs, then 2 more pds a few days later. I am on 1200 calories a day and 30 in of exercise 5 days / week. 1200 calories isn't easy..I have up soda and only drink it occasionally. I do get hungry especially at night. Give it time and be patient. You will notice your clothes fitting better before the scale budges.
  • ktpod1
    ktpod1 Posts: 83 Member
    Thanks for posting. Someone suggested I start weight training 3 days a week and only 2 cardio, I think I will do this. I am not giving up. Age 50 is fast approaching!
  • Usually takes a good month before the scale starts budging, the first pounds you lose in the begging is usually your stomach emptying and water weight. Then you retain water for a little bit, then it all levels off. Keep it Real, and stay with the fight :)
  • I just posted a similar vent earlier today....Same frustration... I have my options set to sedentary (I'm a nurse - i work 3 days per week) - and i have it set to lose 2# per week. i have a net calorie of 1350 - i've been sticking with it..oh and i exercise 4-5 days a week for at least 40 mins. I lost about 4# then now i'm up 1.5.....so frustrating! I'm sticking with it though, giving it more time....this has to be a lifestyle change for me...I'm tired of being overweight and i know the downside of having the extra lbs - - i see it every day i work!