Walking...How do I know how fast I'm going?

Options
Quick question. I walk every day with my sister for about 40 minutes a day. I feel we walk very fast, as it's difficult to have a conversation. We also do a couple of big hills. I've been calculating my walk as 3.0 Mod Pace, walking a dog. But I think we are going a lot faster (the dog is panting halfway through). I don't have a pedometer, and really have no interest in getting one, so I can't really track how fast I'm going.

Anyone know maybe what speed I'm going? I upped it to 3.5 brisk pace. It's no leisurely stroll, and I'm out of breath and sweating by the time we're done.

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm able to cover about a mile in a half hour, and my pedometer calls it 2.75 mph. So go figure?

if you're panting and sweating, I'd def. call that brisk!

good work!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Get a watch and if you know how far you've gone, you'll be able to figure it out! So get in your car and drive the route :) Or use Map My Run to figure out the distance.
  • XaraLouise
    XaraLouise Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to work out what your route is and then plot it on some software (Google it) and it'll tell you how fast :)

If you have an iPhone (either of you?) then there's an app for that (isn't there an app on that thing for everything??) and it works out my hubby's fairly well. From how fast he goes, I can work out how fast I go - I cannot walk at his pace, so I must be going slower :)
  • jenjust6
    Options
    I have the same problem with my speed varying because of hills. The only way to really know is drive the route in your car, or use MapMyWalk.

They have downloads for iPod that are specific mph or bpm paced music, so you could check one of those.

Good job!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Try going to mapmyrun.com, I think. Might just have to type Map My Run into google, I have no idea what the exact website is. :P Anyways, you can draw a path of walking on a map of your community/city and it'll tell you the distance. Then, you can figure out exactly how fast you're going. If you walked 2 miles in that 40 minutes, you'd be going about 3 miles per hour.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I drove the route I usually walk with my car and marked the mileage that way. Then I know the distance and just adjust accordingly each night based on how long it takes me.

I also use hiking trails that are premarked with how far, and the same thing - I calculate base on how long it took me to complete it.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    there is an option on here thats "walking 3.5 MPH, uphill". thats what i put in when i walk by myself because i have a SUPER hilly neighborhood and i walk fast when i'm alone. (it might be 3.0 mph actually...not 3.5....cant remember and i'm feeling too lazy to go check :laugh: )

you might wanna use that one :)
  • Mahooka
    Mahooka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyruncom too. But I also have a Tom Tom car GPS. I can take it with me and it will tell you how fast I am walking or running, use the number you see the most.

Good luck
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It's about 2.05 miles in 37 minutes. How the holy heck do I calculate that??? lol
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    That's about 3.3 miles per hour. :)
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my speed varying because of hills. The only way to really know is drive the route in your car, or use MapMyWalk.

That thing is awesome Thanks for posting that info.