Question on maintenance calories amount

Hi all! I joined MFP in july 2013, but this is my first post: I'm rather shy and not English native speaker, so please bear with me :flowerforyou:
I lost fairly quickly and easy the weight I wanted to, and now I would like to switch to maintenance.

My question for you: I see around fairly high amount of cals for maintenance, for people of my same physical structure (some in the order of 2000, 2500, even more!), while when I calculate mine I obtain a pityful (:smile: ) 1400 or so :ohwell:

I wonder why this?
I'm pretty short (163 cm - 5'4") and fairly old :glasses: (46)... oh and working full time sedentary job, but still, why this huge difference?

Mainly due to my age, or is it mostly related to physical activity?

Thank you very much for your insight! You're a really amazing!!

Replies

• hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    My maintenance is really low too - I did a check earlier, it makes me think I'll never stick with it if I have to eat such low calories for the rest of my life.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Lean body mass (muscle) burns calories, along with your brain, heart etc. Small people have less lean body mass hence lower maintenance calories.

Some equations factor in age, but not all.

Activity can increase the requirements over the resting metabolic rate - you can run for your supper.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    That may be your BMR rather than maintenance, which is what you burn just by existing. Assuming you don't just sit down all day, you should be able to add several hundred more to this to maintain your weight. Search TDEE Calculator and this should give you a better idea.
  • hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    That may be your BMR rather than maintenance, which is what you burn just by existing. Assuming you don't just sit down all day, you should be able to add several hundred more to this to maintain your weight. Search TDEE Calculator and this should give you a better idea.

Thanks, I just tried this one http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and am much happier with those results! :smile:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Hi all! I joined MFP in july 2013, but this is my first post: I'm rather shy and not English native speaker, so please bear with me :flowerforyou:
    I lost fairly quickly and easy the weight I wanted to, and now I would like to switch to maintenance.

My question for you: I see around fairly high amount of cals for maintenance, for people of my same physical structure (some in the order of 2000, 2500, even more!), while when I calculate mine I obtain a pityful (:smile: ) 1400 or so :ohwell:

I wonder why this?
    I'm pretty short (163 cm - 5'4") and fairly old :glasses: (46)... oh and working full time sedentary job, but still, why this huge difference?

Mainly due to my age, or is it mostly related to physical activity?

Thank you very much for your insight! You're a really amazing!!

Your daily calories at maintenance or TDEE mainly correspond to your lean body mass (the non-fat) and activity.
    Not height.

If you want an immediate higher TDEE - be more active.
    If you want a long term higher TDEE, develop muscle.
  • silvia_lo
    silvia_lo Posts: 4 Member

Thanks, I just tried this one http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and am much happier with those results! :smile:

First of all, thank you all for your kind reply :flowerforyou:

I tried your link, and calculate TDEE... well, as expected I obtained 1442 :sad: that's depressing :brokenheart:
    I'm not such a big eater, ok, but I guess I should start hitting the gym?
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    I'm in maintenance. My calories range from 1400-1800. I wish it could be higher, but, I am 50, hypothyroid, and menopausal. This is my reality, LOL. Btw, I walk 3-5 miles daily.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    You should check your calculation, sounds like your BMR to me. I am slightly taller and a little younger (5' 6" and 33) and I maintain on 1900 per day plus any exercise calories.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Its sucks but the slimmer we get the less calories we need for the same activity, same applies the older we get. I am 5'7, 47 and on 1620 sedentary. What about side of your work, I think I may be considered lightly active if you include activities outside work, cooking, cleaning, shopping etc I just prefer the lower number as it seems to be working for me. Of course if you have been to the gym and worked on those muscles, you may burn more. You could always start a little higher, and monitor your weight. If is creeps up, you know what to do. Good luck :-)
  • silvia_lo
    silvia_lo Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all for your insight! :love:
    I guess I should learn to deal with the situation, maybe trying to think of myself as 'lightly active" instead of full sedentary... or, as I keep on promising... eventually hit the gym! :happy:
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    do go to the gym, you'll learn to love it ;)
    I'm 5'3'' and I eat from 1550 to 1950 depending on the level of activity of the day :P I also have a pretty sedentary job!