Low cal snack with lots of benefits!

Options
So for the past few weeks I have been eating a great low cal snack. A cut up apple (gala) with sprinkled cinnamon. So tasty so I looked up the benefits of cinnamon, take a look:

10 Health Benefits of Cinnamon

Studies have shown that just 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower LDL cholesterol.

Several studies suggest that cinnamon may have a regulatory effect on blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.

In some studies, cinnamon has shown an amazing ability to stop medication-resistant yeast infections.

In a study published by researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Maryland, cinnamon reduced the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.

It has an anti-clotting effect on the blood.

In a study at Copenhagen University, patients given half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder combined with one tablespoon of honey every morning before breakfast had significant relief in arthritis pain after one week and could walk without pain within one month.

When added to food, it inhibits bacterial growth and food spoilage, making it a natural food preservative.

One study found that smelling cinnamon boosts cognitive function and memory.

Researchers at Kansas State University found that cinnamon fights the E. coli bacteria in unpasteurized juices.

10. It is a great source of manganese, fiber, iron, and calcium.

Replies

• lose2day
    lose2day Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for sharing. I just knew about the effects on blood sugar.

I add cinnamon to my steel cut oats in the morning along with a teaspoon of almond butter :heart: and to my tea. Will try an apple with it next.....
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Go Cinnamon!
    I'll have to bring some to work with me for my oatmeal and my apple!
    Thanks for the tip!
  • cnash81
    cnash81 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I was reading the other day about the benefits of cinnamon. I thought to myself, I'm gonna put cinnamon on a lot more stuff now (oatmeal, apples, peaches, yogurt). Anyway, I decided I would start doing this, but guess I forgot 'cuz I hadn't put it into action yet. Thanks for the reminder :)
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    For a little dessert try cutting up an apple or two into small pieces. Put pieces in a microwave safe bowl (choose one you can cover or w/ a lid). Sprinkle some sugar substitute (I used Stevia but you could use Splenda) on top of the apples. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Put the cover/lid on the bowl. Cook in microwave for 1 min - 1 1/2 min. It tastes like an apple pie treat w/o the guilt. : P
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For a little dessert try cutting up an apple or two into small pieces. Put pieces in a microwave safe bowl (choose one you can cover or w/ a lid). Sprinkle some sugar substitute (I used Stevia but you could use Splenda) on top of the apples. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Put the cover/lid on the bowl. Cook in microwave for 1 min - 1 1/2 min. It tastes like an apple pie treat w/o the guilt. : P

Trying that right now.
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    Options
    Cinnamon, oddly enough, is one of the few spices we don't have in our cupboard at the minute, but after reading this I think I may have to dash out tomorrow and pick some up and mix a teaspoon in with my cereal on a morning :D
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Trying that right now.

Let me know what you think!
  • blacknight7748
    Options
    This sounds awesome. My problem is i've been so focused on running for cardio, military problem gotta keep up on it for our tests, that my breakfast is plain and simple once i go after. I'm unsure whats healthy to snack on and whats not so this sounds like a great one and the microwave idea.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options

I think you just saved me bc I have such a bad sweet tooth right now and I wanted trailmix but I am going to try this instead!