Always hungry from lifting

Options
For a couple months now I've been doing more lifting and finding myself always hungry. I was having to do extra cardio just to keep my 500 cal deficit. I changed the deficit to 250 and this has helped a lot. The only sucky part is I don't lose weight at the .5 lb a week goal. I'm thinking about cycling every other month from .5 to 1lb loss calorie goals.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any comments?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If your workout schedule is consistent you could try figuring your TDEE and taking a percentage cut from it. You'd include the number of hours you work out I believe that would include cardio and strength, although I could be mistaken.

Are you weighing your food? What types of things are you eating? Maybe add more protein/fiber/fat to help you stay full longer?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It is consistant but I don't like the TDEE it is exactly the same as what MFP is already calculating. Plus I get motivation from seeing what I burn. I weigh everything. Eating mostly protein and fruit. I hate vegetables and there is no point buying them because they just go bad.
  • lovelylela415
    lovelylela415 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing the kinds of food you are eating?

Kale and broccoli are incredibly filling and very low in calories. I like to roast the broccoli, both are great sauteed or a salad with tons of kale and/or broccoli and some olive oil based vinagrette

you may want to cruise the recipe section of the forum and look for recipes that include low calorie bulky foods (leafy greens, chicken)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    It is consistant but I don't like the TDEE it is exactly the same as what MFP is already calculating. Plus I get motivation from seeing what I burn. I weigh everything. Eating mostly protein and fruit. I hate vegetables and there is no point buying them because they just go bad.

Well, if you're always hungry after lifting have you considered either lifting earlier in the day or eating a bit less and then having a more substantial snack/meal after lifting?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm having similar issues. I'd switch your priorities to lifting and let it settle down rather than pushing your calories down, then see what happens and adjust from there.