Successful Lifestyle Change

Options
Hi!

I am glad to let you know that I've improved my lifestyle successfully! It's a work in progress, but I made some good progress now. I hope may inspire you, because if I can do it you can do it too. Nothing special about me! ;)

Compared to a year ago...
...I don't smoke anymore.
...I eat far less fast food
...I became a member of two sport clubs: athletics and swimming
...so I regularly exercise (4x/week compared to perhaps 1-2x/month)
...I eat more regularly
...I eat more varied and more healthy foods (vegetables, fruits, nuts, fish, etc)
...because of this, I already lost 16 kilograms
...after a 5 week break, I started losing again
...I manage stress better by being conscious of it instead of ignoring it
...I sleep better and more regular

I may tell you that I have a long way to go (in terms of weight loss, muscle gain, etc), but I don't think one should see this healthy living thing as a noun, as something you can just mark off your list; I think it's a verb, something you do every day, every week. I still have goals to lose more weight, to become stronger, get a larger endurance and so forth, but I don't think it's useful to desire these things too much, I only get impatient. And when I get impatient, I don't create a sustainable healthy lifestyle, so everything I do may be in vain. Weight can come back, muscles shrink, addictions may come back, etc.

So, I'd like to look to every week and see how it was, and I am glad to tell you here that I like the change that I see! Increased endurance and strength and reduced weight and a lot more good things will follow from a good lifestyle.

Cheers,
Jasper

Replies

• irvinedbs
    Options
    Hi Jasper

Thanks for taking the time to post and well done for all your lifestyle changes! Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the end result and the frustrations of not getting there instead of concentrating on all the positive changes you've made. Your post was a great reminder. Thanks for inspiring me today!

:bigsmile: x D
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You have inspired me!
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That is incredibly awesome! Keep up the hard work, because you're doing fantastic! :)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Great changes jasper- you are kickin' it!
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Jasper- fabulous stuff- thanks for posting
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Jasper, its a great way of looking at it :smile:
  • jxspxr
    jxspxr Posts: 150
    Options
    Thanks! I am really curious about how fit I am in a few months. I guess that I'll be 10 kg lighter, I swim/run/cycle a lot faster and longer and I'll have more energy.

New year resolutions? I won't need them!

You can start with your resolutions now ;). Then you don't need to join the craziness of "oh on January 1 I'l stop smoking, start a very intensive diet to lose a few dozen kilograms, I'll join a fitness club together with everyone else, etc". Just pick one goal now and make it fun, instead of asking something of yourself that you can't do and when you try, you feel miserable - and give up after a few days, or weeks at best.

Healthy living - it's they living that it's about, health is just a nice thing to have with you. Don't stop living to get healthy. You can do both at the same time. That is the only way that it works, at least for me. Have fun, be nice for yourself and slowly raise the bar.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!