would like to try lifting weights

Options
I go to the YMCA regularely... Was wondering how does one go about starting to lift weights and what kinda exercises can a beginner do....how heavy to lift...????

Replies

• darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    A friend reccomended to do a four day rotation like so using as much weight as you can handle without it being a terrible struggle to get 3 sets of 10 reps.

Day one: two different exercises of arms, some sort of ab exercise and 30 mins cardio of choice.
    Day two: two different exercises of back, some sort of ab exercise and 30 mins cardio of choice.
    Day three: two different exercises of legs, some sort of ab exercise and 30 mins cardio of choice.
    Day four: two different exercises of shoulders, some sort of ab exercise and 30 mins cardio of choice.

Basically, she reccomended that you get both sides, so, say you're doing arms. You want to do something that works your bicep (say, a curl) and then something that works your tricepts, say where you pull the bar down from above your head on the machine. She has been doing the same exercises on the same schedule for a long time, and she's the kind of skinny I want to be. :bigsmile:

I'll get a full four day rotation in one day :wink:. I've done the back day once and only 15 mins of the cardio. I'll work my way up to her level. :-) Hope this works for you.

(Edited for clarity. :huh: )
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Such four day routines are great if you're a professional bodybuilder who wants to maximize their muscles. But for a beginner, just start easy with a full body workout. Do some squats, some deadlifts and some chest presses 3 times a week, with a least a day in between. 30 minutes cardio is nice if you like to do cardio, otherwise do 5-10 minutes as a warming up and 5-10 minutes as a cooling down after.

What do in a fitness room:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

Body weight routine, it'll get you started without needing anything but yourself.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • Scheerske
    Options
    If you want i can make you a schedule.

I have been powertraining for about 3 years now. For the weight you just need to feel it and never to to high to fast.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA regularely... Was wondering how does one go about starting to lift weights and what kinda exercises can a beginner do....how heavy to lift...????

Since you go to the YMCA regularly, I would try to get a few personal trainer sessions. Make sure you let the PT know that your goal is to learn how to use the free weights, and use the machines just a little.

I actually go to my local YMCA too. I spent months watching how the one PT interacted with his female clients before I bought some sessions with him. Not only did I learn SOO much working with Justin, but I ended up with an amazing friend! He ended up leaving the YMCA, but suggested a replacement trainer for me, and THAT trainer (Brian) has been awesome too. Brian even brought in personal equipment to use in our sessions to challenge me.

As for the exercises, you can do pretty much ANYTHING. I was doing barbell back squats almost a year ago. They were one of the first things I did. Bicep curls and triceps extensions are fairly easy too. Weight wise, you want to pick a weight where you can use good form for 8-12 repetitions, and the last few are hard.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is working great for both my wife and myself. We have shed some fat and can definitely see the difference in the month we have been lifting.
    Good luck, ya just gotta do it!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My advice is to get a real program. Don't try to write your own if you've never lifted.

Stronglifts is free and that's where I started. Starting Strength is great too and a lot of people have good luck with New Rules of Lifting for Women.

You should go to YouTube and find the Rippetoe form videos. Watch them over and over.

Not sure about New Rules but the other two will tell you exactly how to progress and what to do when you get stuck. You'll start with the empty bar on almost everything (you have to have some weight on the bar for deadlifts, but it should be light.
  • kimrpn89
    kimrpn89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone, lots of great advice to think over...;)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is working great for both my wife and myself. We have shed some fat and can definitely see the difference in the month we have been lifting.
    Good luck, ya just gotta do it!

Stronglifts is really simple, easy to follow. I've also recommended Starting Strength and NROLFW.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I second the "New Rules of Lifting" Series.
    I have new rules of lifting for women and new rules of lifting for abs. Highly recommended!

I have also heard many good things about Stronglifts.

If you google Nia Shanks or Girls gone strong their blogs have some workout routines there but as mentioned I recommend getting a book/program and going from there.

Good luck!