Brassed Off

Options
Brassed off today. I've been on a plateau for months now. This week I've paid particular attention to everything I've eaten and every bit of exercise. I only weigh on a Saturday morning as I don't want to obsess over weight. I've gained 0.5kg. I'm starting to get disheartened with the whole thing. I'm eating better than I used to, I'm exercising more than I used to, I'm 10 weeks into Stronglifts 5x5. I'm doing all the right things and I'm gaining weight. Bhaaaaaaaaaaah.

I even had to resort to Ice cream to console myself. Not ideal but I was feeling a bit "aw feckit".

Any suggestions folks?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit? Are you feeling stronger and fitter? Those are the important things. Have you recalculated your calorie allotment recently? As you lose weight you need less calories since you have less to haul around. Just don't give up. :smile:
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm at the start of my journey so don't have much practical advice but there's a group called Eat, Train, Progress where if you fill out a questionnaire in your post they'll have a look at your diary, weight, height, goals etc. and feed back some advice on people who feel they've plateaued.

The first thing that they often say is about monitoring your eating accurately and working out your TDEE

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Obviously your weight on the scale is just one indicator - if you're feeling fitter, clothes fitting better etc. then it's all moving in the right direction.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely take measurements, and see if there is a difference there!

On another note - "brassed off" and "feckit" are going to have to be added to my vocabulary :-)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Where's the evidence you're "gaining weight"? 0.5 kg is well within the regions of normal weight fluctuations. This is where weighing once a week doesn't work because you can't see the week's trend. You could easily be looking at the upswing of a fluctuation.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    does that word exist?
    brassed?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    First off, half a kg probably isn't a real weight gain. It's well within normal fluctuation.

Second off, start taking body measurements. It's really hard to tell by the scale what's happening when you're just beginning a heavy weight regimen.

Third off, break the habit of consoling yourself with food, right NOW. Food is wonderful and delicious and you should be able to stick to your diet and allow room for treats when you want them. Having a treat is not the problem. You can have treats. The problem is the mentality of "this isn't working the way I want so I'm going to stuff my face" That mentality is defeatist and leaves everyone with feelings of regret and hopelessness. STAHP IT RIGHT NOW. It will eventually undermine your progress.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's well within the range of ...oh crap MoreBean just beat me to it. Just listen to her.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I can see how that grinds your gears.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's well within the range of ...oh crap MoreBean just beat me to it. Just listen to her.

+1
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    does that word exist?
    brassed?

Yep. There's even a film entitled Brassed Off (a pun on being pee'd off and a brass band) starring the late and very very great Pete Postlethwaite http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115744/
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options
    Definitely take measurements, and see if there is a difference there!

On another note - "brassed off" and "feckit" are going to have to be added to my vocabulary :-)

Feck is Irish - you Irish Slatz? Or just a Father Ted fan?
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @Rawbean13, I hear you loud an clear ma'am, I promise not to do it again. (Wanders off sheepishly to the naughty step)

@Camerainthebag, Irish heritage and Father Ted fan.

I'll get the tape measure out. Thanks for the suggestions folks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Brassed off today. I've been on a plateau for months now. This week I've paid particular attention to everything I've eaten and every bit of exercise. I only weigh on a Saturday morning as I don't want to obsess over weight. I've gained 0.5kg. I'm starting to get disheartened with the whole thing. I'm eating better than I used to, I'm exercising more than I used to, I'm 10 weeks into Stronglifts 5x5. I'm doing all the right things and I'm gaining weight. Bhaaaaaaaaaaah.

I even had to resort to Ice cream to console myself. Not ideal but I was feeling a bit "aw feckit".

Any suggestions folks?

if you're doing lifting, ditch the scales... take pictures instead and measure your progress that way.
  • HelllYeaHH
    HelllYeaHH Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    10 weeks in Stronglifts should already show a good result. I hope you took measurements and / or photos before you started.

For me; my weight goes up and down quite a bit, but when I jump on the scale and it shows that my bodyfat % is down I dont care about a kg more or less. I feel like bf and measurements are a better way to keep track of results and way more rewarding, motivating and satisfying.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Options

@Camerainthebag, Irish heritage and Father Ted fan.

:drinker:
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    I just read the perfect article on here about Plateau's... what it says is... there is no such thing as a plateau... your deficit is not enough, you either need to eat less or exercise more to create a bigger deficit .. that's why you are not losing, maybe your goals need to change?

Try and find the article, it really was interesting.

Good luck
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    Found the link... see below

Click on all the internal links once its opened.... very interesting reading!!

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Slatzuk
    Slatzuk Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tracey
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I don't think lowering your calorie intake is the answer. You already come in well below your daily calorie goal (assuming your logging your food correctly and consistently) so you're obviously not eating too much. MFP already includes a calorie deficit based on how many pounds you said you'd like to lose per week. Adding to that deficit by coming in well below daily goal AND not eating back at least some of your exercise calories means you're not fueling your body properly. And an underfueled body won't give up its stores easily. If anything, I think trying to eat closer to your daily goal may help.