How Do I Measure Step Size?

Options
I got a new pedometer (nothing fancy or exciting, I just wondered how much I walk around every day).

But the problem is that it needs to know my step size to convert it to miles...I've looked on the internet and they have the craziest ways to measure step size (one said I need to make a puddle on the sidewalk...which is kind of illegal here in Southern California where we're on super high water conservation levels.)

But I really just need to know if you measure the step from back heel to front toe, back heel to front heel, or back toe to front heel. Anyone know? Thanks!:happy:

Replies

• agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    when you say step size, i'm assuming you mean stride size. i just got a pedometer, too, and it says to determine stride length, you must mark a spot on the ground, start with your toe on that point and take 10 natural strides of the type you want to measure (run, walk, jog, etc.), then you mark the place where the toe of your forward foot stops. lastly, measure the distance between the two points (from where you started to where you finished ten strides later) and divide by 10. Hope that helps!
  • crimsonrambler
    crimsonrambler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Guess I have to get a tape measure to do this. Thanks for your help!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Guess I have to get a tape measure to do this. Thanks for your help!

Yes, I know, it's kind of a pain in the butt. :mad: but you're welcome! :flowerforyou: