Confused by measurements

Options
I'm doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred so I'm taking note of my inch loss. I have lost 2 inches from my waist (woo hoo) and was wondering how that related to losing a dress size. So i went to the Marks and Spencer measurements guide and found that according to them - I am a UK size 26 in the waist. But I'm a size 16!! Sometimes verging on 18 but definitely not over 20.

And according to their hip measurements I am a size 20.

I honestly don't squeeze myself into clothes that are too small (quite the opposite)

Anyone else noticed this strange disparity? I was so pleased to discover I'd lost 2 inches but now I feel deflated.

PS A UK 16 is a US 14 (according to a website I just visited)

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    you lost two inches!!! That is what matters. Who cares about dress size. Every company can vary the sizes a bit. Just go by your measurments and be proud of your progress.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I used to work for a catalogue company in the QC department and each brand of clothing had their own size charts and measurements. So a size 16 for one brand may measure differently to another brand. I'm assuming shops are the same. I know a size 18 from Primark won't fit me, but a size 18 from BHS will.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish so my post is about UK sizes too.

I've a similar tale - according to the M&S size guide on their website, my waist meant I was a size 20 or more even! Disheartened doesn't begin to describe how I felt as this was after months of healthy lifestyle change. (I didn't really know my size for sure as before I became healthier I wore only stretchy clothes and I'd fit in 18's and 16's just fine in those).

I visited their store and took a look at their clothes, and I brought a pair of 18 jeans into the changing room, and they were too big! The 16 M in this jean fit well "Bootleg Washed Denim Jeans Product Code: T54/6140", and it's a few weeks on and I think I'm going to try a 14 M this weekend. According to their website, I am a size 18 now. So go and try on is my recommendation.

Trying jeans on was a big thing for me - I am 37 and I haven't worn jeans since I was 22. All I want, clothes-wise, is to look good in a pair of bootcut jeans. I wore the 16 M of the ones above last weekend and I thought I looked great (better than at age 22), and so did my partner, so that's all I care about.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Tell me! I have absolutely given up on buying clothes on the internet. Right now, in my closet, I have three size six skirts, Ralph Lauren, and one pair of size 8 Ralph Lauren Jeans and one size 10 Ralph Lauren Jeans. They all fit EXACTLY the same in the waist. Granted, the size 10 was bought in December 2002, and the 8 in 2012. And maybe skirts just run big in this brand. I am at goal weight so I really just worry about the fit rather than the number on the tag. In general, I start with a size 8 and go up or down and check out the fit. If it doesn't make me feel and look great, I don't buy it.

Just go with the "try on". You will be glad you did.
  • russellbrand69
    Options
    Hey OP just checking in with you:
    According to the M&S size page, I am a bit bigger than a UK 16: http://www.marksandspencer.com/General-Womens-Size-Guides-Product-Information-Help/b/47647031 - my waist size is about 34 inches.
    But the M&S size 16 jeans I am currently wearing are a little too big in the waist, and the 14 jeans I pre-emptively bought a couple of weeks ago zipped and buttoned yesterday, but aren't really walking around-able yet! Still, a huge moment for me - they looked so small in my hands, like a pair of jeans belonging to my thin sister or delicate friend!

Have you gone in and tried on yet, op?
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress over it. Most companies vary in the way they measure and size women. Also some brands are better fit for different body types (hourglass, pear, etc.) Don't stress over what number size you are, since companies change their sizings so much. Just be proud of your accomplishments and dress for your body type :)
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would go by how they fit rather than the number. PS A UK 16 is a US 12, there is a difference of 4 between them.
  • lincs_lass
    lincs_lass Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just checked out the M&S site out of interest, I'm wearing UK size 14, M&S are saying I'm a 16 top and between an 18 and 20 bottom!!!
  • russellbrand69
    Options
    I just checked out the M&S site out of interest, I'm wearing UK size 14, M&S are saying I'm a 16 top and between an 18 and 20 bottom!!!
    Right!. That's what had the OP - and me - all over the place! Glad others have noticed it too.
  • russellbrand69
    Options
    Just jumping back into this thread to say - I felt able to buy a pair of M&S "Bootleg Denim Jeans Product Code: T54/6140" in a UK 12 the other day, and - I managed to fit into them!
    Now, they're not wearable yet, but I squeezed into them, and buttoned and zipped them up.

Thrilled doesn't begin to cover it - I have never been a UK 12 in my life, the smallest I have ever been (even as teenager) was UK 14, and I truly thought it wasn't possible for me.

Anything is possible if you have the right attitude and work for it!