Remember this while hiding from the camera

Options

Replies

• Zonny
    Zonny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yep, me too.

My mother passed away in late July, and the family was going through some older pics. She always thought she was too fat, but she was just a big, strong woman - like me!

When I saw those pics of her where she would have been unhappy with how heavy she was, and compared them with the reality that was my mother in the past year or so, with wrists and legs that were nothing but bones and tendons, a sunken face...even she would have realized she looked SO much better with some meat on her bones.

Now if only I could get that message through my own thick skull. I'm always behind the camera, rarely in front.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Love this Hoss, thanks for posting.
  • igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart:
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    In all honesty I had exactly the oposite. I have been modeling a bit for some bands when I was weighing around 90 kilos (about 198.5 lbs), but the more weight I started to loose, the less confident I became and stopped making pictures. I felt like I looked so much older in the face all of a sudden, felt too old for it over all.
  • scubabetty
    scubabetty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This gave me goosebumps. I've been telling myself something similar a lot recently. You can't wait for life to start once you get fit, loose x pounds, have visible triceps, etc. Life is happening, so just get in there.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for reposting this Hoss!!!

HUGE eye opener!!!
  • farmboyphotography
    farmboyphotography Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was the same... Always the photographer... taking endless snaps of My husband enjoying time with our boys....

Are you still the photographer taking endless pictures of your mate, but not getting in the viewfinder? Just curious. I admit that I am like that. Guess its time to change my ways. I 'shutter' at the very thought.

(and by the way, hello from another pro photographer. I like the way you framed your comments. This idea about not hiding behind the camera needed more exposure or it would probably remain out of focus. I know, bad, bad, bad. But HI anyway!) :happy:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Meh...I always said when I get in my twilight years, I want to look back and see how YOUNG and WRINKLE FREE all those pictures are! :laugh: :laugh:

How many grandma's out there say "Oh I looked so fat?" Nooooo, they say "Why, gosh I look pretty good in this one" heheheheheh.....no wrinkles....
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    WOW, just WOW!! Thanks for sharing.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for writing this. My dad is overweight and he refuses to have pics taken and lots of times refuses to go to family functions "Cause I dont want anyone to see me this way" he says all the time. We try telling him relatives want to see him, they love him. I copied & pasted what you said and inserted it into an email for him to read. I hope he listens.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    A great reminder! I try to let people take them and most importantly I try not to delete them! I don't have to share them but Heaven forbid something happens, my kids can have them. I regret not taking more prego pics :( Those days were gone so fast!
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    That was beautiful.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. My mom is also a hider and I don't have many pictures of her either.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Thank you for posting that. I also am inspired to quit avoiding the camera. With an early family Christmas celebration coming up, I plan to get lots of pictures of me and my son (which means to not avoid my sister and her camera). :wink:
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    What an amazing article, Hoss. Thanks for passing it along.

I have to admit that I'm guilty on all counts. And I have to admit that when I look at my daughter's wedding photos, the shame that I feel in ruining them still haunts me to this day, 5 years later. I feel the same way about all of the photos with me in them.

I'm thinner now, and one of the inspirations on my profile is to look good in photographs. I'm working on that inspiration and will not hide any more.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    This isn't about weight, but rather the comment you made about seeing yourself as different than others see you... Has anyone watched the video of the FBI (i believe) sketch artist who has a woman describe herself and sketches her (he can't see her at the time) and has a stranger who met the woman briefly describe her... in each case the strangers described the woman more beautifully, and more accurately than the woman described herself. I can't seem to find the video now, but if you do you should watch it... people can be too hard on themselves, and everyone is beautiful.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think you are speaking to me....I kept hiding in photos all the while thinking "my children and gorgeous grandson wont care about this when I am gone all they will want then is a pictorial memories of me"...easy to say to oneself...difficult to act upon tho :ohwell:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Gee...thanks for making me cry at work...

And thank you for posting this.