Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Chicken from butchers

I always ask the guy to tell me the weight. Today it was 535g for 2 big pieces of chicken breast with the skin left on. In MFP 1 chicken breast, butchers comes in at 247 calories for 150g meaning that these 2 pieces would contain around 820 calories. Does this seem right????

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Sounds approximately correct.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Sounds approximately correct.

Really? It sounded very high to me. I'm not overly concerned, if it is then it is, just wanted to make sure on here. I cook the skin but don't eat it only for the fact that I don't like it.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    I was going based off of your numbers -- the 247kcal/150g number, and then did the math to the 535g.

If you're not eating the skin, I'd probably calculate it closer to boneless skinless chicken breast, of which 535g is approximately 19oz. 4oz is around 110kcal, so the 19oz would be around 522kcal. Assuming you're cooking it skin on, some of the fat is likely to render out, so maybe around 600kcal total if you remove the skin after cooking?

It gets a little voodoo-y when you're dealing with whole meats like that.
  • RoyBeck
    I see what you mean. Split over 2 meals even the 800-odd is totally fine anyway just wanted to be sure. Ill search MFP under skinless and see what I come up with.
  • RoyBeck
    The entry you are choosing is a little higher than the one I normally use. Those 2 chicken breasts you have are 19 oz.
    The entry you chose I have been using for a year is around 170 calories for 5 oz as opposed to the 247 for 5.3 oz.

Honestly am I using the correct entry? Maybe, maybe not. The way I see it is this, I have been using the same entry consistently for 1 year and I tracked my weight loss the entire way through while meeting and surpassing my goals. So if I was wrong I was consistently wrong which in my mind makes me right. Hope that makes sense.

In a weird way it makes sense yeah!! I too have been using this for around 4 months and am 40lb down so I don't think it's necessarily the wrong one either. Judging foods without packaging is tough huh? At least I know the weight but that is uncooked when he weighs it so when cooked it'll weigh less I think?