my new Gym Induction today!! scared

Options
pinkuslinkus
pinkuslinkus Posts: 11
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi guys. I joined a new gym last week (I've moved and haven't been to a gym in about a year and a half). I'm so nervous. I'm mainly nervous about asking about using the 'free weights' and the squat rack. I used a gym before but mainly used the cardio machines and weight machines. I've been wanting to get into lifting for quite sometime now but can't afford to get too much gym equipment for my house. So I've taken the plunge to get a gym membership so I can advantage of their equipment. I suffer from social anxiety so am really nervous about doing something new in public! eek. I'm sure it'll be fine once I'm there but my induction is in an hour and a half and I'm panicking a bit. Anyone have any advice? I know there must be lots of people who felt this way joining a gym or doing exercise in public just need some support and friendly advice please?

Replies

• TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The only advice I can give is to go in there and go hard! :bigsmile: You will make some awesome friends there [I have!] and its not as daunting as you think. Sure, you get your few oddballs but they are EVERYWHERE these days! Also; don't be nervous to step into the free weights section - go for it!
  • addysolari
    addysolari Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good on ya for joining a gym for a start. It can be daunting, for a while I would only go to the gym at 10/11 at night because there was no one there. My advice is talk to someone about a personal training session, even if its just once (a lot of gyms do a complementary one for joining) Get the PT to show you anything you're not familiar with. Once you understand all the crazy contraptions your confidence goes up a lot and you feel less self conscious and it makes you feel more welcome and comfortable seeing a familiar face.

hope that helps
    -Adam
  • pinkuslinkus
    Options
    Thanks for the words of support. Well it was a 'group' induction so I was quite disappointed as the gym I was with before I had an hour 1 on 1 induction planning my goals. The trainer was nice and friendly and showed us how to use the basic machines. I asked about things like the smith machine etc which she then showed me how to use. She said she would be happy to do a one on one induction more focus towards my goals in a couple of weeks.
This discussion has been closed.