Pure Barre Classes - how to log?

Anyone do Pure Barre classes or something similar? They are killer! How do you log this in the exercise log?

Also, curious as to those that have done them, did you get results? Only going to y 2nd class tomorrow, the first one almost killed me, I was sore for 3 days! But I liked it and think it must really work if you keep at it. Would love to hear other experiences.

Replies

• threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    I can't speak for Pure Barre—I do a different, independent/local barre class.. but I imagine most/some of the moves are the same? Anyway, I have been doing the class 5 days a week for about 3 months. Previous to starting the class I hadn't really worked out but for maybe a 2 month stretch earlier in the year. I (and my BF) have seen results in my arms, abs, and thighs.. I've lost about an inch on my waist. I haven't changed my diet and haven't lost any remarkable amount of weight (seem to be up and down the same 4 lbs)

I took my HRM to class for about a week and it told me (5'6.5", normal weight) that I was burning approx 250-350 calories per hour.. however I have read that HRM isn't really accurate for such a workout. I also have a bodymedia fit but I can't imagine that would provide accurate calories either because a lot of the movements are so slight!

SO, to get to your question.. I look to bodymedia's calorie calculator thing.. for my height/weight, somewhere in between pilates (140 cals) and yoga (220 cals) for the hour.
  • scoyne999
    scoyne999 Posts: 59 Member
    Hi! I am loving the barre class. Been doing it since Aug 20th and I'm on my 14th class. I've heard/read great things about how it can transfom your body if you keep up with it and stick to a balanced diet (I'm doing 1200-1500 cals a day). Friend me if you want to work together to motivate each other on the barre.
  • missescrawford
    missescrawford Posts: 23 Member
    i just started this week. i tracked with my hrm today and i burned 238 calories in 55 minutes. that was more than i expected. i am loving it so far because i feel it compliments my other weight lifting workouts in the gym. i plan to see how it goes for the next 30 days. i hope to see progress by then even if it is just a little toning.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Awesome! I love the way ballet works the glutes and thighs (and low back). It really is complementary to standard weight lifting (emphasizes different muscles/heads), and I love to do both, too. I also really like ballet for cardio for me, because all that movement makes it quite tough, I think!

I've never done Pure Barre itself, but I love ballet-based workouts.
  • Hi I'm started doing a barre class last week and have to say I don't think my body has ever been this sore. I've read that even though you hurt this bad that you should work thru the pain and eventually it gets easier. I hope this is the case because I feel this is a workout I will stick with.

How many calories do you burn in the 60 minute class??

Looking for some support here as well..
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    For calories, I log it as 'ballet', which is under dance or dancing or similar. I just search for ballet :)