REALLY need some advice :/

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    As I said, I have been off the wagon for a while due to being totally demotivated... Any missing days before that, I just haven't eaten on that day.

You didn't eat for the entire month of July and first week of August?

Not really sure what you're talking about, there are logs all throughout July :huh: It's only recently, I've not been as up on it. There are no excuses, just getting extremely depressed with eating next to nothing and seeing no results.

But thanks so much, guys, I think I'ma try putting the calories back up and seeing if that helps. I just needed some advice before I totally gave up on it all. You lot are awesome! :flowerforyou:

I meant June. I corrected it.

You're not logging very consistently.

What was your weight at the beginning of July? What about the end? What about now?
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Like the others have mentioned: log log log. I don't mean to be a jerk about it and jump on you/the bandwagon, but the act of logging can be both informative and inspiring. I've had days, weeks, and even months where I stopped logging for whatever reason (occasionally frustration). And, not surprisingly, I stopped seeing results & feeling motivated.

All bodies are different, yada yada, but when I was your weight (and I'm only 5'3), I was aiming for at least 1400 calories and wasn't upset if I would hit 1800. (my exercise at the time was solely walking, usually 2-3 miles a day). I really think, especially since you're feeling so hungry, that you should try eating a bit more.

The "eat more!" crowd always annoyed me. But, I guess I've reached the stage where I'm joining in their chorus. Sigh. One of them. One of them. (I'm now ~50 lbs lighter and aiming for 1700 and not upset if I hit 2000. And I'm losing.)
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options

What was your weight at the beginning of July? What about the end? What about now?

232lbs
    232lbs
    232lbs

I did not put on any weight during the time I didn't log, as I wasn't going overboard, I was just on holiday (certainly wasn't the entire month) and since then I've not gained nor lost. This is my point. I'd understand if I've put on weight this week as I've just said 'eff it' and eaten like a fat kid at a buffet. But when I'm eating so little at such a heavy weight, it didn't make sense to me...

HOWEVER, everyone else has been really helpful and there seems to be a general consensus that I should eat more, so I'm going to try it and see if it helps. Like I said, I know I'm no snowflake and I'm probably doing something wrong, which is why I've posted this thread.
  • jonnythan
    Options

232lbs
    232lbs
    232lbs

We can't help you if you don't give us accurate information.

If your scale said exactly 232 on July 1, July 31, and September 11, it's probably broken.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You really do have to log everything you put into your mouth. There is no way to accurately track your food if you are not logging it. Especially when eating food you do not prepare yourself. When you lower your calories as MFP does for you if you do not start eating whole healthy foods you will not get much volume in your food and will be hungry. Do you have a food scale? My calories too have been cut drastically since I started. But I do exercise to increase my calorie goals and never eat them all back though some I do. I also always fluctuate my calories eating 1200,1300, 1400 calories a day. Calorie Cycling it helps avoid plateaus. Drink plenty of water. If you are drinking soda stop until you start losing again. These are just a few hints that I hope will help you get back on track but the biggest one is track what you eat and drink your water.
  • reoskit
    reoskit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think you're really hungry, not just because you're only eating 1200 per day, but because you spend those on empty/processed foods. Have you tried bumping up your fiber and protein? I know "lean meat and vegetables" is a boring answer, but you may find that your calories go a lot further if you spend them on things like that. More bang for your buck. Go to youtube and search for "asapscience 200 calories" to see what I mean. You'll see how you can really spend calories. Check out the amount of broccoli; there's no way you'd be hungry after eating that. And, not only will you be full, but my guess is you'll drop weight if you start mixing in stuff like that. Best of luck.
  • erulasse
    Options

If your scale said exactly 232 on July 1, July 31, and September 11, it's probably broken.

I'm very sorry, I didn't mark down the half/quarter/freaking millionth pounds, but I can assure you, give or take maybe up to a pound on certain days, I stayed the same weight.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I'm very sorry, I didn't mark down the half/quarter/freaking millionth pounds, but I can assure you, give or take maybe up to a pound on certain days, I stayed the same weight.

Do you keep a daily log of your weight somewhere?

What number did you log on July 1? July 31? August 15? September 1?
  • erulasse
    Options

Not sure if you're trolling, or are just trying to be mean. But good luck with that... Have a flower :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Not sure if you're trolling, or are just trying to be mean. But good luck with that... Have a flower :flowerforyou:

I'm trying to help you. I asked you for your weight on those exact days, and you did not give me an accurate answer.

Did you weigh yourself on July 1? Did you log it? What was the number you logged on that exact day?
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Hey! Can you give us some info like height, weight, age, and open your diary? People will be able to give you much better advice then. :)

Yeah, sure, sorry... I'm 5'5, 232lbs and 22 years old. Diary opened now.

(I've not logged for the past two days, due to frustration, which is why I've needed to ask for help)

I am 5'4", 205lbs, 51yo and MFP has me set at 1440cals/day (1lb/wk weight loss goal). However, I get about 500 cals in exercise, so I eat 1900-2000cals/day, which roughly matches my TDEE caloric requirements. You may want to ditch the MPF NEAT recommendation and try using the TDEE method. Please read the following link - it explains it all quite nicely.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

I'm trying to help you. I asked you for your weight on those exact days, and you did not give me an accurate answer.

Did you weigh yourself on July 1? Did you log it? What was the number you logged on that exact day?

He's really not trying to be a jerk. Everyone else, that maybe you found "helpful", is just throwing out suggestions based on other people's experiences... Jonnythan is trying to figure out what, specifically, could be the problem you're having, so he can give you the most relevant advice FOR YOU.

He's also pointing out that just because you 'think' you are doing everything right... there are obviously inconsistencies and measurements that you could take to benefit YOU.

Try to accept help when it's offered and not take criticism as an insult. :flowerforyou:
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    (okay guys, it really isn't that significant if she doesn't report the decimal of a weight change...really...)

Some lessons I learned when I was trying that may help:
    0-Eat back ALL of your calories...that's what it is there for.

1-instead of making a daily net goal, make a weekly one. This allows you to be under and over on days, but it's the total balance that matters. This also helps your body not get adjusted to knowing that 'everyday, I will have 1450 cals to burn...' It's an easier form of cycling calories (or zig zag)

2-if I only did my diary, I only maintained. I had to exercise after a certain amt of loss to lose any more weight.

3-don't over exercise. I got to a point that I was doing 6-8 hours of exercise a week and I came to a dead stop in my loss (used a good HRM...counted everything). When I cut down to five 40 min routines instead of six 1.5 hr routines, I started losing again

4-Don't drink your calories

5-Measure yourself! Sometimes you are actually losing fat, but the muscle growth offsets the fat loss. You could be getting skinnier/slimmer, but your scale can't tell.

6-Watch your salt/sodium intake. Sometimes we just a swollen with water instead of fat...regardless, it looks about the same. (fluffy!)

7-Ultimately-I agree that I don't think you are eating enough. Do a search for BMR & TDEE in the message boards and learn how to calculate your basal metabolic rate and your total daily energy expenditure...maybe you are more or less active than you think you are. (I ended up purchasing a fitbit to see how much it said I moved in a day. Gave some useful info, but I don't recommend to use it for your exercise burned calories because it doesn't know your heart rate)

8-oh, and make sure and change up your exercise routine every month or two. You body becomes adjusted and it no longer burns as many calories (and get a HR monitor to determine your calories burned...the MFP one is a generic value and is no way accurate to what each individual person burns).

Good Luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    Agree with above poster, thanks for the great advice. And log everything
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Some lessons I learned when I was trying that may help:
    0-Eat back ALL of your calories...that's what it is there for.

1-instead of making a daily net goal, make a weekly one. This allows you to be under and over on days, but it's the total balance that matters. This also helps your body not get adjusted to knowing that 'everyday, I will have 1450 cals to burn...' It's an easier form of cycling calories (or zig zag)

2-if I only did my diary, I only maintained. I had to exercise after a certain amt of loss to lose any more weight.

3-don't over exercise. I got to a point that I was doing 6-8 hours of exercise a week and I came to a dead stop in my loss (used a good HRM...counted everything). When I cut down to five 40 min routines instead of six 1.5 hr routines, I started losing again

6-Watch your salt/sodium intake. Sometimes we just a swollen with water instead of fat...regardless, it looks about the same. (fluffy!)

8-oh, and make sure and change up your exercise routine every month or two. You body becomes adjusted and it no longer burns as many calories (and get a HR monitor to determine your calories burned...the MFP one is a generic value and is no way accurate to what each individual person burns).

Good Luck!

All of these specific ones were true for me, too. And I would add that if you really are serious about this lifestyle change, it would GREATLY benefit you to get a heart rate monitor and food scale if you haven't already. The cost of both is nothing when you compare it to the progress you will see from using both.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    This thread is why the Eat Train Progress group only allows two people to answer these types of questions. A torrent of random nonspecific advice doesn't help much, especially when the person asking for help is not logging consistently and not being forthcoming about data.
  • erulasse
    Options
    I have a scale and heart rate monitor. I agree, they're sooo helpful
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hey! Can you give us some info like height, weight, age, and open your diary? People will be able to give you much better advice then. :)

Yeah, sure, sorry... I'm 5'5, 232lbs and 22 years old. Diary opened now.

(I've not logged for the past two days, due to frustration, which is why I've needed to ask for help)

I am 5'4", 205lbs, 51yo and MFP has me set at 1440cals/day (1lb/wk weight loss goal). However, I get about 500 cals in exercise, so I eat 1900-2000cals/day, which roughly matches my TDEE caloric requirements. You may want to ditch the MPF NEAT recommendation and try using the TDEE method. Please read the following link - it explains it all quite nicely.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

THIS!!!! I did the same thing...I went down instead of up and stalled out big time, for a very long while. TDEE is where it's at - you get to eat well and lose weight. It's awesome. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

232lbs
    232lbs
    232lbs

LOL i don't have a digital- mine is one of those awful dial ones... and not only is it hard to read- it's bouncy (surprise) ... my weight is often recorded like that... so I can **semi** understand. LOL because that's how I record my weight- usually within a pound or two....

but that being said.... he IS trying to help you OP. Don't take it personal. It is NOT a personal attack. That question is one any professional would ask. Seriously.

the less specific the information to work with- the less helpful the advice can be given.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It's becoming clear that the OP is not ready for honest advice.