addicted to eating

Options
Hi my name is Ashlie and I just had a baby 7 weeks ago. I think I am addicted to eating. I find myself eating even when I am not hungry. I just can't resist. Everything taste so good. How can I get past this. I just stopped breastfeeding so I know the pounds are going to start packing on soon if I don't get this under control. Anyone have some tips that might help me?

Replies

• thedeepblue
    Options
    The first two weeks are the hardest when you eat all the time. I would suggest finding something to do with your hands. Work on a home improvement project or take up a hobby. Find something to preoccupy yourself as you adjust your eating. After a couple of weeks you won't miss it.
  • mikamom
    Options
    congrats on the new baby! When I had my daughter I ended up gaining more weight the months following than when I left the hospital! Just like you I was addicted to food, and still am. I was the kind of person who could go to a buffet and when I got home would look in the fridge. The only thing that has helped me was by counting calories. Knowing how many I was eating before really made me realize I needed to control this addiction before it consumed me.

Have you been counting calories? you might not want to eat as much if you write down EVERYTHING you are eating.

good luck, keep at it!
  • betsy720
    Options
    Hi Ashlie
    I dont have a solution for you, but I do feel the same way. I dont really refer to it as "addicted to eating" but I consider it "emotional eating". This isn't just when you are sad but for any emotion. Eating when you are happy, bored, upset, etc. I think the best way to control it is to stop and think about how you are feeling at that moment and deal with the emotions vs. trying to fill it with food. Congratulations and good luck. Hopefully this site will give you the support you need to start living a healthier lifestyle!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    GUM!! Gum helps. It keeps your mouth moving so that you don't always have to put food in it. You have to start making choices about when you eat and what you eat. It is a HUGE struggle for me too. Everything in my life revolves around food. I am struggling, but I am winning! This site has helped me 'donate' 10 pounds in three weeks. I don't want to say I lost it, because I didn't! I fought hard to get rid of them.
    You can too! Good luck!!
  • groovylaura
    Options
    I truly think that joining this program was one of the best things you can do to be more accountable for (and aware of) what you eat. At least that's what it has done for me. I'm like you, and I want to eat everything (especially sweets)! I keep track of everything I eat on this website, and it truly helps me to stay on track. So, everytime I go to stick something in my mouth, I stop and ask myself if it's worth the calories. I'm working really hard to stay under my daily recommended calories to get to my weight-loss goal, and it's truly working! It's like a miracle! I've only been on here for 5 days, and I've already lost 5 pounds!!! I can't believe it! It's also helping me to go for a 30-minute walk each day, and that gets me off my butt. Anyway, I think if you get in the habit of recording everything you eat, you'll get more and more aware of what you're eating, and then you'll learn to stop yourself when necessary. It gets easier with practice. I know you can do it! So, hang in there, and never give up!!! You'll teach your kids to take better care of themselves by doing this program, too. All the support on here is so amazing, as well!!! We get to cheer each other on, and it's fantastic!!! :bigsmile: