chicken pot pie

Options
I am wanting to make a chicken pot pie that has been made over in Bethenny Frankel's The Skinnygirl Dish book, but when I put all the ingredients in, it said that the premade pie crust has over a thousand calories in it, so that, despite using fat free chicken broth, the chicken pot pie is still almost 500 calories per serving. I know that chicken pot pie is a heavy food, but if I could just lighten up the pie crusts, it wouldn't be so ridiculous. it calls for premade pie crusts, do reduced-fat premade pie crusts not exist??

Replies

• michelleinpa
    michelleinpa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with that recipe specifically, however, maybe you could use filo dough as a crust?
  • RCharlesworth
    Options
    I'm not sure about the reduced fat pie crusts, but I have seen recipes that don't use a pie crust at all... put all the ingredients in a deep dish and cover with a couple of sheets of phyllo dough -- you can buy those in most grocery stores (premade)... You still have the the crunch of something like a crust without all the calories...
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    good question. you may need to look up a recipe online for one and make it from scratch. that or just use the pie crust on the bottom or the top cutting down the calories. i would love if you post what you discover and if it works!
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    As a 'pot pie' it doesn' t have a base, is that right?

Or, if it does, why not make it without a base and use a sheet of puff pastry for the top? 1 sheet is about 125 calories.
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    oops - just saw RCharlesworth said pretty much the same thing! Looks like everyone posted at around the same time :smile:
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've never seen these before, let alone tried them, but this is what I found when I did a Google search.

http://www.lindasdietdelites.com/diet-foods-78/healthy-mixes-53/bread-biscuit-bun-crust-106/dixie-diner-press-n-bake-pie-crust-mix-419.html
  • Magabarb
    Magabarb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe that calls for 6 sheets of whole wheat phyllo. Cut it into a circle to fit over your filling. Brush 2 circles with 1 tsp oil and repeat with remaining circles and restack. Place the stacked phyllo on top of pie filling. Press down slightly so phyllo fits inside rim of pie pan. Bake it about 25 minutes until it is golden and bubbling.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys! All great suggestions! I might try the phyllo on the second go-round, but I don't know why I didn't already think of doing a premade crust only on the top, since growing up, my mom only ever had crust on the top of it anyway! With the crust only on the top, according to the calculator on MFP, that cuts the calories from almost 500 per serving and the fat from over 20 g per serving to 334 calories per serving and 12 g of fat. Muuuuuuuch more manageable, I think! :happy: I'll be trying it soon! Hope it's good!
  • SweetyGirl
    Options
    You might also forget the pie crust altogether and make it like a shepherd's pie. Instead of the usual mashed potatoes topping for shepherd's pie, however, try topping the hot filling with fauxtatoes (pureed cooked cauliflower processed with low fat cream cheese and maybe a little Parmesan or other shredded low fat cheese) and placing back in the oven long enough to brown the fauxtatoes slightly. (There are many recipes for this on the Internet). You'd be surprised how good the cauliflower is this way.
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You might also forget the pie crust altogether and make it like a shepherd's pie. Instead of the usual mashed potatoes topping for shepherd's pie, however, try topping the hot filling with fauxtatoes (pureed cooked cauliflower processed with low fat cream cheese and maybe a little Parmesan or other shredded low fat cheese) and placing back in the oven long enough to brown the fauxtatoes slightly. (There are many recipes for this on the Internet). You'd be surprised how good the cauliflower is this way.

That's probably a good suggestion, but sorry, I LOVE the crust on pot pies. :love: It's not something I'm willing to sacrifice! :laugh: I think the calorie count is extremely reasonable as is, with pie crust only on the top, so that's what I'm going to try. Thanks, though!