Alli side-effects despite following guidelines

Options
I was curious and bought a bottle of alli to help me loose a few extra pounds. My BMI is 25, which is the beginning of the overweight range on the CDC's website. I took only 1 pill if I had fat in the meal. However, despite following alli's diet guidelines--even eating less fat than recommended--I have had horrible diarrhea. I stopped taking the pills 2 days ago, and I am still experiencing the side effects. Obviously the mostly full bottle of pills is being thrown in the trash, but does anyone know how long the side effects last?

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm no help here other than to bump your post bc I think the "I'll just poop myself" method of weight loss produce the best stories. When this thing first came out a local radio station had a skit every Monday with people calling in with F'in hilarious stories. Doesn't the directions tell you to keep an extra pair of unmentionables around just in case?
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    UMMMM--that's how that works... Better than a laxative....... I would rather eat healthy than to subject my body to another chemical.
  • katieoboe
    Options
    Harley, I totally agree. I was just hoping it would help as a supplement to my diet.

Future posters: please only post if you have an answer to my question, not interested in comments about alli or other people's stories. Here's my question again: how long do the side effects last after you've stopped taking alli? Sorry if that wasn't clear before. Thank you!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    When it first came out, I wasn't interested in trying it, but asked the pharmacist if he was selling a lot of it. He said a lot of people were trying it, but he had yet to have anyone come in for a refill. Considering the info paper in the package recommends having a change of clothes on hand at all times, I'm surprised very many would try it in the first place. But would imagine the side effects, since they don't talk about them stopping in the package insert, would last as long as you're taking it. If you've stopped taking it, different meds take different amounts of time to completely clear your system. If you want to hurry it along, I'd recommend lots & lots of water.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    While I don't know for sure, I would imagine a few days after you stop taking the pills (3-7).

Edit to add: In the mean time, I would follow a low/no fat diet for a few days. Eat things like rice, toast, pasta. Things that a) can hopefully soak some of the stuff up and b) not further the issue. Additionally, make sure you are drinking extra water as you may end up dehydrating yourself.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Orilistat is a hell of a drug. It came out for incredibly obese people on prescription- and now lots of slightly overweight people flock to it. But, the secret about the drug is not in how it makes you lose weight- it's psychological. Even with all the guidelines they set- the end goal of Alli (or it's prescription mother) is to make you completely disgusted by fat because of all the side effects you'll experience.

I'm totally not kidding.

They created Orilistat to trick severely obese people into not wanting to eat fat at all for fear of diarrhea, horrible smelling flatulence, and- the most dreaded- completely pooping yourself while in public (or even at home...I don't think that's ever pleasant). I remember reading about a poor nurse at work who started taking the supplement at the recommendation of a DR she worked with right after it came out. She bent over in her all white scrubs at work, and released a large amount of "poo-scented fat goo" we'll call it, all over her pants- seeping through the back.

I think that may traumatize me enough to never eat something even remotely fatty!

Yes, it helps to block fat- which makes you lose weight- but because it comes out of your butt in the end, the real goal of Alli is to make you so terrified to eat fat that you won't even after you stop the pill. The side effects should wear off soon, considering you weren't on it for a very long time. But the horrible feeling you're having right now is the exact point of the product (notice how it made you eat even less fat than recommended to try and stop it?)

I wouldn't recommend this stuff to ANYONE unless I had a friend that wouldn't stop eating tubs of lard (that'll teach em!) or you know- a horrible sworn enemy I'd like to embarass.

I STILL can't believe this stuff exists and went OTC!

Haha, well, if you ever see someone at the pharmacy bending over picking up their refill bottle- I wouldn't stand behind them!
  • Kdhuynh54
    Options
    the duration of action of the drug is 48-72 hours. if it's been two days, side effects should be ending within the next day or two depending on your body chemistry.
  • katieoboe
    Options
    Thank you very much for the advice. I have been eating bland, low fat foods like rice and toast, hoping that it would ease the symptoms. Hasn't worked yet. Hopefully things will start to calm down today, day three after I stopped taking the pills. But drinking lots of water is always a good policy , thanks for the reminder.

And yes, the side effects are NOT WORTH the possible 2-3 pounds you could loose with alli. I thought I could avoid them by strictly following the guidelines, but I must be sensitive to the drug.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    All diet pills are basically enemas.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Found it on a PDR type website, they said it's usually completely out of your system in 3-5 days. So, again, would think that if you stay VERY well hydrated, it'll help get it out of your system faster.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I read an article about alli once. They specified that so many people have uncontrollable diarrhea while on it that it is recommended that you carry extra clothes with you, "just in case".....
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the advice. I have been eating bland, low fat foods like rice and toast, hoping that it would ease the symptoms. Hasn't worked yet. Hopefully things will start to calm down today, day three after I stopped taking the pills. But drinking lots of water is always a good policy , thanks for the reminder.

And yes, the side effects are NOT WORTH the possible 2-3 pounds you could loose with alli. I thought I could avoid them by strictly following the guidelines, but I must be sensitive to the drug.

You're not OP- this drug is notorious for this problem!
  • katieoboe
    Options
    Rachy, I also can't believe that this is an OTC drug! I wrongly assumed that it would be milder than prescription orilstat, a very dangerous assumption that I think a lot of consumers made.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    good god. the things people do to lose weight.

OP, also, dietary fat is not something to be afraid of. just count your calories and stay at a reasonable deficit. no need to **** yourself, seriously.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Harley, I totally agree. I was just hoping it would help as a supplement to my diet.

Future posters: please only post if you have an answer to my question, not interested in comments about alli or other people's stories. Here's my question again: how long do the side effects last after you've stopped taking alli? Sorry if that wasn't clear before. Thank you!

B-but hearing Alli stories makes me laugh....
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Found it on a PDR type website, they said it's usually completely out of your system in 3-5 days. So, again, would think that if you stay VERY well hydrated, it'll help get it out of your system faster.

Since you have the answer to your question now, OP, can we now have the funny stories posted?
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I think the side effects will stop whennnn.. well who can really give you a direct answer to that other than a professional doctor or someone who specializes in diet pills and their side effects.