Why is this happening to me??

Options
Hi all,

I am need of your great advice, as it seems that I am running out of options...

I have been doing MFP for a few years now (on and off), I try my very best to log calories each day; however, some days I am not as good as others unfortunately.

I am a 24 year old 5'11 Female weighing 168 pounds, but just last year I was down to 149... I've gained so much in this year (I've gotten off some medications that have now caused me to gain weight (they initally made me lose)). I am fairly active for the past 3 months, I do small weights and cardio 3 times weekly.

I've had my calories set to 1200 for the past few months, but I have had to bump it up to 1300, because I was left with no calories for dinner some days. But I seem to be comfortable at 1300 right now (and most days stay right at it), just still not seeing results. I looked up my TDEE today and in order to lose weight it suggested 1756 calories, which seems REALLY high for me!

You are welcome to look at my diary as I have it posted public, just please remember that I do not fill it out completely all days because of lack of time. What do you suggest that I do? I fear that going up to 1756 calories, I will see some crazy weight gain.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Basically if you don't fill out your diary all the way then you are just wasting your time filling it out at all because in the end it isn't really telling you anything, how do you know how much you didn't record?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I fear that going up to 1756 calories, I will see some crazy weight gain.

It isn't just hitting 1700 calories alone....
    You have to be smart about what kind of calories they are. :wink:
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Not to mention that you are 5'11"
    What is your target weight/goal?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Your 9/7/13 diary looks good...I would maybe drop the latte, and do it skinny.....

But you need to get your protein up.....min of 150 gr per day.

Your carbs and fats are high, while protein is low....from the few days I looked at.
  • samanthamel6
    samanthamel6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would honestly just like to be back down to 150 (the mid range for my height I believe) 168 is slightly above where I should be for my height.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    fasting works
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    Your 9/7/13 diary looks good...I would maybe drop the latte, and do it skinny.....

Your carbs and fats are high, while protein is low....from the few days I looked at.

Thanks for your help! What is a good way of getting protein up? I don't love eating meats all that much such as chicken or pork - but beef is good.
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    What should be my daily calorie goal (of course good calories and watching what I take in)? What is reccomended for weight loss with my stats?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

This^^^

Protein is best for muscle retention/growth and having more muscle mass means that you will burn more calories. Protein also has the added benefit of making you feel fuller for longer. Carbs are your friend for energy provided that they are good carbs. By that I mean that not all carbs are equal in the way they are processed by the body. Starchy white carbs are not the best source... fruit and veggies, sweet potatoes are all great sources. Fats are also good provided they are healthy, and omegas 3, 6, and 9 are essential to the body.

Increase protein intake and watch your macros, meaning protein fat and carbs. You might have to re-arrange what you eat to some extent but you will, more than likely have better results with a higher protein intake as it will leave less room for other types of calories.

Keep up the good work and log, log, log so that you are educating yourself to the best of your ability about what you are really eating.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Non-fat PLAIN greek yogurt is 18g of protein per serving....add some sugar free preserves if you want sweetness, but DO NOT buy the flavored yogurt!!! TOO high in sugar. Also you could try a protein supplement powerder...SUPPLEMENT not REPLACEMENT
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    Great idea cedder, thanks so much I didn't know it had so much! Maybe add some nectar or honey? I currently drink a protein shake after each workout which works wonders. What are other ways to get my protein up?
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Make time to log everything and plan ahead so you eat a well balanced diet consistently. If you think you need more protein, it's out there. The earlier advice to try Greek yogurt is a great idea - twice the protein!

#1: Turkey Breast (and Chicken Breast)

Protein in 100g Half-Breast (306g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    30g 92g 1g protein per 4.5 calories
    Chicken: Chicken Breast (58g) provides 17g protein. Chicken Leg (69g) provides 18g protein. Chicken Thigh (37g) provides 9g protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#2: Fish (Tuna, Salmon, Halibut)

Protein in 100g 3oz Fillet (85g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    26g 22g 1g protein per 4.5 calories
    Other fish high in protein per fillet(3oz or 85g): Tuna (22g), Salmon (22g), Halibut (22g), Snapper (22g), Perch(21g), Flounder and Sole (21g), Cod (20g), Tilapia (17g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#3: Cheese (Low-fat Mozzarella and Cottage Cheese)

Protein in 100g 1oz Slice (28g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    32g 9g 1g protein per 4.7 calories
    Other cheese high in protein per ounce(28g): Low-fat Cottage Cheese (5g), Low-fat Swiss Cheese (8g), Low-fat Cheddar (6g), Parmesan (10g), Romano (9g). *Low fat Mozzarella and Cottage cheese provide the most protein per calorie. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#4: Pork Loin (Chops)

Protein in 100g 1 Chop (134g,~5oz) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    25g 33g 1g protein per 5.2 calories
    Sirloin Roast 3oz (28g) provides 23g of protein, Ham 3oz (28g) provides 18g of protein, 1 slice of bacon (8g) provides 3g of protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#5: Lean Beef and Veal (Low Fat)

Protein in 100g 3oz Slice (85g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    36g 31g 1g protein per 5.3 calories
    T-Bone Steak 3oz (28g) provides 19g of protein, 1 Piece of Beef Jerky (20g) provides 7g of protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#6: Tofu

Protein in 100g 3oz Slice (85g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    7g 6g 1g protein per 7.4 calories
    Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#7: Beans (Mature Soy Beans)

Protein in 100g 1 cup (172g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    17g 29g 1g protein per 10.4 calories
    Other beans high in protein per cup cooked: Kidney Beans (17g), White Beans (17g), Lima Beans (15g), Fava Beans (14g), Black Beans (15g), Mung Beans (14g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#8: Eggs (Especially Egg Whites)

Protein in 100g 1 Large Egg (50g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    13g 6g 1g protein per 12 calories
    1 Egg White (33g) provides 4g protein, 1g protein to 4.4 calories.
    Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#9: Yogurt, Milk, and Soymilk

Protein in 100g 1 cup (245g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    6g 14g 1g protein per 18 calories
    1 cup skim milk (245g) provides 8g protein, 1 cup soymilk (243g) provides 8g protein. Click to see complete nutrition facts.

#10: Nuts and Seeds (Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds, Peanuts, Almonds)

Protein in 100g 1 Ounce (28g) Protein to Calorie Ratio
    33g 9g 1g protein per 15.8 calories
    Other nuts and seeds high in protein (grams proten per ounce (28g)): Peanuts (7g), Almonds (6g), Pistachios (6g), Sunflower Seeds (6g), Flaxseed (5g), Mixed Nuts (4g). Click to see complete nutrition facts.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm
  • samanthamel6
    Options
    Wow thanks so much for your help slim! That is great stuff, I will definitely try to incorporate some of that into my diet and let you all know the results! I'm excited about the future!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I would honestly just like to be back down to 150 (the mid range for my height I believe) 168 is slightly above where I should be for my height.

Since you are at 168, and your desire is ~150...
    I would say re-org your diet first....the post by Slim for proteins was great.

Then I would hit the weight room......do weights....
    Cardio at most 2 days a week.

Set your goal, eat right for about 2 months, and see where you are. :wink:

Train days +carbs ++Protein -fat
    Rest days -carbs ++Protein +fat (maybe <60 gr)