Need suggestions for good group class for beginners?

I was considering taking one class a week to switch things up with my normal workout routine.

I am a super beginner and way, way out of shape. 296 pounds male. I get worn out and breath heavy just from lifting for 10-15 minutes but I want to change that.

Someone suggested Spinning. Someone said Zumba. Another said Yoga. One person said kickboxing? Any suggestions.

What happens if you can't keep up (hence I can only go hard for about 10-15 min)? Can you slow down, rest, etc? Or do you have to go 100% the whole time. Never been to a class - don't want to embarrass myself. Does everyone in there know the routine and I am going to be lost?

Here is what is available in my local gym for free: http://www.miramontlifestyle.com/fitness/group-fitness/group-fitness-class-descriptions/

Replies

• web816
    web816 Posts: 10 Member
    I have participated in cardio kickboxing, pilates, and zumba classes and have found all to be very welcoming and open to all fitness levels. Many classes, especially zumba, it is encouraged to do either follow the arms OR legs if you are new or need a break. People take breaks all the time, grab water when they need it, etc and it is not big deal. I would suggest trying more than one type of class/instructor and see what you enjoy...that's the only way you'll stick with it. Also, pick a spot in class near a perimeter (where water or a bench could be easily reached) but with a clear view of the instructor. Also, just marching in place while you catch your breath would be fine. If you still feel unsure, youd could come early and talk to the instructor to see what they suggest!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Just go along and try them. Take breaks when you need to, modify the moves until you don't have to. My vote is for yoga, but then, it always is lol
  • I haven't taken a ton of group classes but I do teach Zumba and with Zumba, it is all about just moving. If you need to key it down, modify the moves, or simply slow down (tho never completely STOP moving then try to jump back in - going from 0-150 mph not so good) - I have all levels of fitness and ability in my classes and love them all.

I think the biggest thing is just to remember to listen to your body, slow down when you need to - but again, don't STOP moving then jump back in at 150 mph... Just walk or step touch to slow yourself down, then get back into it when you can.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    What kind of things do you like to do? Your gym should offer some short of circuit or interval training that mixes strength training as well as some cardio.