Carbs & Protien?

Options
OK so my goal is to eat about 120g of carbs and 120g or protien each day. i ussually get about 60-80g of protein and i go over on the carbs. Does anyone know of any fruit thats low in carbs?

And how much protein should i be getting a day?

Replies

• gale1089
    Options
    I have the same problem!
    I love fruits but they always put me over my daily carbs. I know berries, apricots and peaches have lower carbs. You can google low carb fruits and view a full list. Try more chicken, tuna, egg whites and plain greek yogurt. All high in protein and low in carbs. You should be getting about a gram of protein per body weight. I'm about 140lbs so I aim for 140 g/day.
    Hope you get some better responses because I'm curious myself.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    Any fruit is made up of pretty much all carbs. You should aim for a minimum of 1g of protein per lb of your lean body mass. You can go as low as .82 IF it is all from super high quality protein sources. Going to 1 makes up for any lack of quality with quantity.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to keep carbs down instead of cutting out fruit I'd cut out the other foods you're eating containing carbs, especially the processed foods.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you aren't body building 60-80g of protein is normal for women. 120 is a little excessive and only needed if you are hardcore muscle training.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I focus less on grams and more on proportions. I try to make 40% of my calories come from carbs, 35% from fat, and 25% from protein.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    I focus less on grams and more on proportions. I try to make 40% of my calories come from carbs, 35% from fat, and 25% from protein.

This is the opposite of what you should do.

Anyone who cares about maintaining muscle especially during weight loss should eat at least 1g\lb of lbm in protein and .45g\lb of lbm in fat daily. It is possible to get away with less if you want to complicate things by paying more attention to sources and their quality, but these numbers make it so you can ignore that.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've cut out all fruit, and have massively increased my veggie intake. But when I want fruit, I have watermelon, and any type of berry. Every now and then I'll be bad *kitten* and have an apple lol Don't forget to subtract your fiber from your carbs so you get NET carbs...I see it as freebies
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    less fruit, more veggies ...
    hardboiled eggs if you want something similarly portable to fruit
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unless you are insulin resistance or have a medical conditions, why are you stressing carbs so much?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    less fruit, more veggies ...
    hardboiled eggs if you want something similarly portable to fruit

+1
  • MityMax96
    Options
    OK so my goal is to eat about 120g of carbs and 120g or protien each day. i ussually get about 60-80g of protein and i go over on the carbs. Does anyone know of any fruit thats low in carbs?

Fruits by their very nature are carbs.....not a bad thing.
    But if doing to much fruit is causing you to go higher on carbs than you would like, swap out some servings for Veggies....can't go wrong there.....

Depending on your exercise.....80 - 90 gr of protein could be fine....
    But if you are in the gym pushing weights....then between 100 - 120 gr would be desirable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you aren't body building 60-80g of protein is normal for women. 120 is a little excessive and only needed if you are hardcore muscle training.

Thank you!
  • phattothin
    Options

Fruits by their very nature are carbs.....not a bad thing.
    But if doing to much fruit is causing you to go higher on carbs than you would like, swap out some servings for Veggies....can't go wrong there.....

Depending on your exercise.....80 - 90 gr of protein could be fine....
    But if you are in the gym pushing weights....then between 100 - 120 gr would be desirable.

Im not really doing anything for exercise just a little walk a few days a week. and i like fruit cuz its sweet and it curbs my disire to eat sweet junk food.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It could be a matter of making some swaps. Instead of making meals around bread and bready things, try replacing those with more high protein foods. Eggs, lean meats, yogurt, cottage cheese etc. And use low carb wraps for sandwiches instead of regular bread.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Im not really doing anything for exercise just a little walk a few days a week. and i like fruit cuz its sweet and it curbs my disire to eat sweet junk food.

Ok then....keep your fat macro low, and up protein.....
    Or cut total calories to less than you need on a daily basis.
  • phattothin
    Options
    It could be a matter of making some swaps. Instead of making meals around bread and bready things, try replacing those with more high protein foods. Eggs, lean meats, yogurt, cottage cheese etc. And use low carb wraps for sandwiches instead of regular bread.

OOO thats a good idea about the wraps! i will maybe try that. The bread i eat now is high in fiber and lower in sugar and it has no white ****! But i will try doing wraps instead. ThANKS! :happy:
  • phattothin
    Options

Ok then....keep your fat macro low, and up protein.....
    Or cut total calories to less than you need on a daily basis.

thats my plan was to increase protein i have been thinking about taking a protein shake. and i cant cut my calories any more. Im at 1,200 and already feel light headed by the end of the day
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Anyone who cares about maintaining muscle especially during weight loss should eat at least 1g/lb of lbm in protein and .45g\lb of lbm in fat daily.

Hypothetical 250 pound male dieter at 35% body fat. LBM = 162 lbs. Leads to 162g protein and 73g fat. That's 1300 calories before carbs. Assume TDEE of 3000, so TDEE - 20% = 2400. So 1100 calories for carbs, which is 275g of carbs.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    thats my plan was to increase protein i have been thinking about taking a protein shake. and i cant cut my calories any more. Im at 1,200 and already feel light headed by the end of the day

Looking at a few days from your diary.....I see the same thing I have seen from other women.

The bulk of your calories are from Carbs and Fats, while protein is falling behind.

Tweak your diet so that protein is on the higher end....
    You can tweak carbs and fat lower depending on what you think you need.