finding time to exercise with a baby

Options
Tips on ways to exercise while caring for a baby all day.

Replies

• Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Hold the baby close to you and do squats. Play peek a boo while you're at it.
    Put the baby in a front or back carrier and walk.
    Go the the park. Swing, walk, whatever is age appropriate for the baby.
    Bike with a baby seat or baby trailer.
    Lift baby up in the air.
    Play ball (toddler age).
    Do DVDs during nap time.
    Walk, go to gym, etc when hubby or someone responsible is home.
  • BrittanyLW7
    BrittanyLW7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Depending on how old the baby is, either let the baby crawl around, and kind of follow the baby, or play with him/her. Even dancing with the baby to music he/she likes.Or if the baby is walking, take him/her outside and and run around and play
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Exercise while the baby naps.
  • vickij85
    Options
    Uphill walks with the pram! There's a local exercise group in my town called 'pram power' where all new mums do a work out with the babies in their prams. I've never been but have seen them doing walking lunges with the pram and squats in the park. I have a toddler and go to the gym in the evenings & weekends when my partner is back from work. Good luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Put the baby in a stroller or babycarrier and go for a long walk, also you can use the baby for a weight and lift up and down in several different oosisions, turn on music and dance, babies usually oove music. During nap time put in a quick exercise dvd or youtube video, or exercise bike or treadmill while baby is in swing or exersaucer. How old is the baby, that makes a difference hope this helps
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Easy, become Elite ™

softball-baby-squatter1.jpg
  • dnak17
    dnak17 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Using a wrap or carrier to carry the baby everywhere on errands. Also, jogging using a running stroller. Both of these helped my wife immensely after our first.

While my wife never took advantage of it, I know there were new mommy groups in our area for working out. Especially for jogging with strollers.
  • missa482
    Options
    Here is what works for me:
    My husband and I switch on and off putting our toddler to bed each night. On nights when he is putting the little guy to bed, I work out.
    And on the weekends I get up about an hour before the two of them to get my workout in.
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I used to to yoga with the baby. I would set him up on a blanket next to me with some toys and books so he had something to distract him while I was trying to get through a whole yoga DVD. It was great, most days I made it through the whole thing. I figured baby was part of the challenge.
    I also used to dance with the baby. We did many different types of dance videos. I held him in my arms as my extra weight and the intensity of the workout increased as he grew. :)
    Baby squats and lunges. Baby lifts. Just get creative and have fun.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    exercising.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A couple of ideas

Exercise with the baby ..... OK this depends, but here's an idea

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/ellen-barretts-happy-baby-fit-mama-5818

While the baby naps look for something low impact .... walk aerobics (Leslie Sansone can be a quiet DVD ... even works with an MP3 player and ear buds) yoga, pilates
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

This! I have twins.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't find the time. I make the time :wink: .

Now my kids are a little older and I let them "workout" with me. I'll pop in a workout dvd, and set the rule they are to stay at arms length and let them have fun with it, while I get my workout in. When they were babies, I worked out when they napped. Or I popped them in the pack n play and let them play in there.

(Edited for typo and the pack n play thing)
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I used to have a gym membership with daycare & it was $50/month. Now I have a jogging stroller & use it daily. Try workout DVDs too. It's hard to find the energy but once you get into a routine, it gets easier.
  • 54321mimi
    54321mimi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply! My baby is 6 months old. Already crawling so thats a bit of exercise chasing her :) I also try to walk every day for an hour and a gym session whenever I can (sometimes only once a week). My problem is I used to be a real gym freak. Id like to be in there 5 times a week as I have a huge appetite but its not practical anymore. I find it hard to diet so need to constantly be moving.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Get a baby bjorn carrier... Go hike, bike, dance, etc... avoid swimming, martial arts and contact sports... Another words... GO HAVE FUN!!!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I work full time + i have a toddler at home, so i rush home direct from work so i can spend time with her as much as i can. I try and do all the workouts early morning while baby is asleep or during lunch breaks and also weekends when she is with my hubby.

Being SAHM is harder i guess, as there is no break at all. So as previous posters have mentioned, either stay up late while baby is asleep or early morning before baby wakes up. Also, have someone care for baby once in a while so you can get your workout in if thats a possibility :)

Good luck!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

Easy, become Elite ™

softball-baby-squatter1.jpg

Oh, gawd! I was SO going to suggest wear the baby! :laugh:
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options

This all the way!! I run an in home daycare with 6 children here at all times 50 hours a week plus I have two of my own children at home. I work out Monday through Friday and sometimes on Saturdays in my own home. Have yet to see a gym :) When I put the DC kids down for a nap - I do my workouts