Lean cuisine with a side of bulimia

Options

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    No Bulimia is not funny.

However I have had people in the past make snarky comments about my weight or diet in the past so I understand where the OP may be coming from.
  • Frogourt
    Options
    ..seriously? :indifferent:
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    Some people need to lighten up. I joke about being fat all the time. I joke about depression. I joke about a lot of things that are serious and 'wrong' in my life often. Sometimes that's a good way to cope, and not being too serious about stuff will improve your life drastically.
  • brittany2188
    Options
    I think the joke was that OP was punished for being good... Not about being bulimic.

(Bulimia comments may have been in bad taste, however some of us get it)

We don't need an explanation. It is however still NOTHING to laugh about and make a thread!:angry:

Ok, boss!
  • erikrichter
    erikrichter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    People really need to lighten up... It was a simple story about work and some co-workers. Not a jab at pre/current/post bulimics.

Cripes.

Funny story and yes, puking at work in a public bathroom sucks. Like throwing up isn't bad enough, you have to go face first into a "foreign" commode.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    OP, there are many people on this site who have suffered from (or are still suffering from) eating disorders. I know you meant this to be lighthearted and funny, but it's a sensitive topic here.

It is kind of funny that you were ill because of trying to "be good", but joking about eating disorders here won't be well received.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    some many sandy bottoms today.
  • CEThornton
    Options
    I think the joke was that OP was punished for being good... Not about being bulimic.

Thank god someone got it! Yes bulimia is a serious affliction affecting many people I'm also sorry I sounded flip about it but seriously have a sense of humor... At leas a small one
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Some people need to remove the sticks from their butts.
    Like none of you have ever made a distasteful joke. Oh of course not.
  • Frogourt
    Options
    Some people need to lighten up. I joke about being fat all the time. I joke about depression. I joke about a lot of things that are serious and 'wrong' in my life often. Sometimes that's a good way to cope, and not being too serious about stuff will improve your life drastically.
    if you've never suffered from bulimia, or another type of eating disorder, you shouldn't be joking about it. it's not going to improve anyone's life drastically cracking jokes about what's slowly killing them.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I think OP is getting too much heat for this. It's an inappropriate joke, yes, but they meant no harm by it.

I didn't find it funny or offensive.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

This is called self-deprecation.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options

Thank god someone got it! Yes bulimia is a serious affliction affecting many people I'm also sorry I sounded flip about it but seriously have a sense of humor... At leas a small one

For reals. If you'd ever had an eating disorder, or watched someone suffer with it, you wouldn't think it was funny.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Which is why I never EVER EVER EVER EVER told a leper joke to a leper. They'd laugh their head off. AND THAT'S NOT FUNNY :angry:

rimshot-o.gif
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    What not to do on MFP:
    1.Make eating disorder jokes
    2.Say lifting will make women bulky
    3. Endorse eating under 1200 calories (OH WAIT SEE NUMBER 1)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I laughed. That sucks...
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I took this with a pinch of salt tbh! But may have taken it differently in a different mood, and depending on past history...

I saw it as OP meant, but can see it was potentially insensitive... unintentionally.

Lighten up guys... I know bulimia isn't funny, at all; but am sure OP didn't intend to be so frivolous and will think twice next time.

Hope you feel better soon too OP.
This discussion has been closed.