maintaining despite slump

Options
I am kind of in a bad place right now, where I just don't have the energy to eat. I logically know that I am wreaking havoc on my metabolism. When I have to go somewhere i'll grab aLluna bar, but when I'm home i'll eat yogurt, cereal, and coffee whey protein powder in it. I know this is nowhere near enough. Ill exercise to try and feel better, but that depletes the calories even more. I am so paranoid about putting the weight back on but in the same breath I don't want to destroy my body. I am in a wheelchair, so can't really afford to loose any muscle. I don't know how to stop this vicious cycle! Any ideas?

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    If its about not having the energy to prepare food, eat calorie dense foods, then you don't have to eat a lot. Nuts and nut butters, avocado, full fat dairy, etc.

If you are limiting you calories because you are afraid, that's another story. Your body needs nutrition. If you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. If this is too stressful for you and you experience anxiety...then you may need to talk to a doctor, because that's the beginning of disordered eating.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I can see it's really important to be slim - and also muscly! - if you're in a wheelchair. Are you sure you aren't depressed or is it just you don't have energy?

I agree - calorie dense foods. The word 'paranoid' and 'eating' shouldn't be in the same sentence. The nice thing about logging is that you know exactly what you're putting in your mouth so you don't have to worry about eating too much. It's a safety blanket. A few spoons of peanut butter, a handful of nuts, a cheese omelette with a glass of milk and you will have more calories and may have enough energy to eat again.

P.S. BTW, I just finished logging and realized I was 600 calories under net for the day so took my own advice. Fresh homemade bread and some brie. More than worthwhile and OMG it tasted good!
  • glutenliz
    glutenliz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt it is depression. Chewing just seems like too much work. I am just afraid that if I start eating now after 3 weeks of not eating enough, my body will hold on to those calories and blow up like a blimp!
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Smart chica for realizing the differents parts of your concern. Talk to a professional for guidance on how to regain and recognize a sense of overall of balance.
  • nctgreene
    nctgreene Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am not in a chair but I am disabled from Polio as a child. I am on maintanance as well and am able to maintain by logging my food. Yes, the thoughts of regaining the weight is scary, but believe me you can maintain and eat all the nutrient dense foods you can hold. Even at my age (62) with a very slow metabolism it can be done. Logging is the key. Add me as a friend if you like and I will be happy to support you.

Nancy