Fat Free Cheese

Options
2»

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just use less normal cheese? If you eat the recommended potion size of cheese there is no reason to eat reduced fat cheese at all, just have a sprinkle and don't go nuts with it.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Just use less normal cheese? If you eat the recommended potion size of cheese there is no reason to eat reduced fat cheese at all, just have a sprinkle and don't go nuts with it.

Thanks for the advice. That is what we always do. I was just asking about FF cheese these days, since I haven't purchased it in years. Seems like it hasn't changed at all. I am surprised that stuff is still in the grocery stores as bad as it is!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Yea I've tried vegan cheese before and I imagine its similar, horrible stuff! I'd much rather have less of something that tastes gooooooood :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use full fat or low fat, but you'd have to pay me to try fat free cheese. Yuck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Lets get one thing strait.................fat free cheese is not cheese..........it's a marketing pitch.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't mess around when it comes to cheese. The real stuff or nothing.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    For my cheese fix, I eat the Sargento Ultra Thin Sliced cheese. In most cases, two slices of the thin is less calories and sodium then regular cheese. The also have a low sodium version.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I made the mistake of using fat free cheese for a recipe once...ONCE. That and ground turkey are the only low fat/low cal substitutes that didn't make it through the healthier food transition in my house. Disgusting plastic abomination.

For the most part I use fresh shredded parmesan or a 2% mexican blend but I've recently gotten into using feta more.

:noway: Ground turkey is AWESOME! Especially when it make it into burgers and top it with feta (and roasted red peppers)!

But I feel you on the disgusting plastic abomination part. :flowerforyou:
    Ground turkey comes in different levels of fat content and quality. The 99% fat free stuff is hard to work with and the cheaper brands tend to be grainy. But if you get good "mostly lean but still a little fat" ground turkey, it will make patties and meatballs just fine.

I actually use 99/1 all the time. Like 2-3 times weekly. Low quality is definitely grainy - higher quality is not.

The trick is not over cook it/cook it slow. For burgers, lightly oil the pan with olive oil on a paper towel and get it really hot over high heat (like to the smoke point), throw in the patties (which should be on the thicker side, I do about a quarter pound), turn the heat to medium and keep them covered until you flip and basically as much as possible. I leave mine one the first side 5 minutes and then flip. I leave them for 7-8 minutes and then check to see where I am with a meat thermometer. Usually they are around 155F, cover with cheese and peppers but the lid back on sit aside for 2-3 minutes. Check temp again, it will usually be 165F and you are set.

In the case of meatballs, add one and a half teaspoons of olive oil per pound of turkey, 1/3 cup bread cumbs + spices and roll as usual. They will be "wetter" than beef and you may FREAK a little, but this is why you bake them (covered) at 350 for about 10-15 minutes until the internal temp is around 90-100. They will firm up so you can them brown them off in the pan without them falling apart. Which again, same method above, screaming hot pan with just a little oil and covered, then finish cooking them in sauce. In fact let them hang out in sauce for like an hour or two.

But back to the topic at had, cheese making is an art -- fat free cheese isn't actually cheese. Just like most singles in plastic aren't -- if it's what you like, that is totally fine. If not, I wouldn't waste ANY calories of nonfat dairy!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Some things should be banned as bad for the soul. Fat-free cheese and fat-free ice cream head that list.

^this..... and fat, especially from animals, IS healthy. But processed no-fat cheese? NO. Low fat? No to that too. (I can't wait until the fat phobia based on lies finally dies, once and for all...)
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    There are snack size chunks of regular cheddar that add up to like 100 calories and taste awesome, so many cheese options only add up to around 100 calories, so just use less and enjoy life :)
  • MamaFunky
    Options
    I got the chicken taquitos in the oven right now! Cooked some chicken breast on the grill. Gave them a good chop, then combined it with REAL cheese, rolled them up in a corn tortilla and put them in the oven! Yummy!

Its good to see so many others passionate about real cheese! :drinker:
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Please use full fat cheese - they take the fat out, they have to put something else in. This goes for all fat free foods - YUCK!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I got the chicken taquitos in the oven right now! Cooked some chicken breast on the grill. Gave them a good chop, then combined it with REAL cheese, rolled them up in a corn tortilla and put them in the oven! Yummy!

Those sound great! I am going to pre-log a couple of them babies into my diary for tomorrow's supper. Thanks!
  • MamaFunky
    Options

Those sound great! I am going to pre-log a couple of them babies into my diary for tomorrow's supper. Thanks!

They turned out great! I did a light spray of cooking spray over the top to crisp them up and they turned out great! Made a pot of homemade pinto beans for a side dish...awesome dinner! I hope you enjoy! :smile:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Please use full fat cheese - they take the fat out, they have to put something else in. This goes for all fat free foods - YUCK!

Unfortunately I have issues digesting milk fat, so most of the time I use margerine and reduced fat cheese. I'm honestly not concerned with what they put in. It's still high in calcium and tastes pretty good.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of using fat free cheese for a recipe once...ONCE. That and ground turkey are the only low fat/low cal substitutes that didn't make it through the healthier food transition in my house. Disgusting plastic abomination.

For the most part I use fresh shredded parmesan or a 2% mexican blend but I've recently gotten into using feta more.

:noway: Ground turkey is AWESOME! Especially when it make it into burgers and top it with feta (and roasted red peppers)!

Ground turkey comes in different levels of fat content and quality. The 99% fat free stuff is hard to work with and the cheaper brands tend to be grainy. But if you get good "mostly lean but still a little fat" ground turkey, it will make patties and meatballs just fine.

I actually use 99/1 all the time. Like 2-3 times weekly. Low quality is definitely grainy - higher quality is not.

The trick is not over cook it/cook it slow. For burgers, lightly oil the pan with olive oil on a paper towel and get it really hot over high heat (like to the smoke point), throw in the patties (which should be on the thicker side, I do about a quarter pound), turn the heat to medium and keep them covered until you flip and basically as much as possible. I leave mine one the first side 5 minutes and then flip. I leave them for 7-8 minutes and then check to see where I am with a meat thermometer. Usually they are around 155F, cover with cheese and peppers but the lid back on sit aside for 2-3 minutes. Check temp again, it will usually be 165F and you are set.

In the case of meatballs, add one and a half teaspoons of olive oil per pound of turkey, 1/3 cup bread cumbs + spices and roll as usual. They will be "wetter" than beef and you may FREAK a little, but this is why you bake them (covered) at 350 for about 10-15 minutes until the internal temp is around 90-100. They will firm up so you can them brown them off in the pan without them falling apart. Which again, same method above, screaming hot pan with just a little oil and covered, then finish cooking them in sauce. In fact let them hang out in sauce for like an hour or two.

But back to the topic at had, cheese making is an art -- fat free cheese isn't actually cheese. Just like most singles in plastic aren't -- if it's what you like, that is totally fine. If not, I wouldn't waste ANY calories of nonfat dairy!
    If we have a difference of opinion (not sure we do), it would be what "hard to work with" means. What you described is pretty much what I meant. I usually get 92/8 or so (depends on where you are shopping as to what the mix is) and don't have to add olive oil and can cook the burgers on the grill because that is what men do (fire good; magic bad :bigsmile: ) and I can make meatballs and just cook them from start to finish in one pan (okay, I do use the stove sometimes :laugh: ).
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Fat free cheese makes me gag. Full fat girl here!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

If we have a difference of opinion (not sure we do), it would be what "hard to work with" means. What you described is pretty much what I meant. I usually get 92/8 or so (depends on where you are shopping as to what the mix is) and don't have to add olive oil and can cook the burgers on the grill because that is what men do (fire good; magic bad :bigsmile: ) and I can make meatballs and just cook them from start to finish in one pan (okay, I do use the stove sometimes :laugh: ).

Ah, my grocery stores are all either 99/1 or 85/15. I go for 99 + olive oil because poultry fat doesn't do it for me (unless it is fried chicken skin) like beef/pork fat. I love the grill and men who tend them -- just not for burgers. I like the crust of a flat surface.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Talking turkey...
    Ah, my grocery stores are all either 99/1 or 85/15. I go for 99 + olive oil because poultry fat doesn't do it for me (unless it is fried chicken skin) like beef/pork fat. I love the grill and men who tend them -- just not for burgers. I like the crust of a flat surface.
    Sounds like you are happy with that, but just as an FYI if those are ground in the store, you can ask the butcher about mixing them for you or you can get a package of each and do it yourself. That's how they make the 92 at the store I find it at anyway.