Healthy salad dressings?

I'm not the biggest fan of the green stuff, so what dressings would you recommend to make them more appealing? In fact, are there any parts of your salad you couldn't be without?

Replies

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    I have a gem if you like onions. Take a big onion, peel it but leave the hairy end on. Cut across in both directions, but not all the way through the hairy stump. drizzle a tiny bit of Olive oil on it, salt pepper. Wrap it in foil. Either cook it in the oven or on the bbq for about an hour. While still hot cut off the hairy stump, put it in a blender or a food processor hot. Add 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar a big spoon of dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste. I add a touch of Bragg liquid aminos (but most folks do not know what that is). Whiz til smooth. This makes my favorite vidalia onion vinegrette without the 150 cal for 2 tbsp price
  • jennycita
    jennycita Posts: 40 Member
    I love condiments which is my biggest downfall, but I learned to eat my salads by just squeezing some lime juice and using that as my dressing.
    If that's not something you would like, then maybe some red wine vinegar...

I always put kale mixed in with my spinach leaves. It's super good for you so I try to incorporate it in every salad or sandwich instead of just plain lettuce.

Hope this helps!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Always the same here, a bit of olive oil, some dijon mustard, and vinegar.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    lemon juice, balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze... black pepper...

Radishes, cherry tomatoes, spring onions.

Lunch typically atm is salad with tomatoes, spring onions, extra light mayo, chopped seafood sticks, smoked salmon or tuna... and a slice of small wholemeal bread! yum!

Also, adding herbs like basil, parsley and dill!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    mine is simple. very low cal. ranch. im a ranch/blue cheese. creamy dressing kind of girl. lol and to anyone who has ever had light ranch, you know it sucks.

so 1 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/4 cup water
    add hidden valley packet to taste.

usually around 10 calories tblspn.

i have my salad swimming in it for almost next to nothing. and i enjoy it.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    i do straight red wine vinegar
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    I have a gem if you like onions. Take a big onion, peel it but leave the hairy end on. Cut across in both directions, but not all the way through the hairy stump. drizzle a tiny bit of Olive oil on it, salt pepper. Wrap it in foil. Either cook it in the oven or on the bbq for about an hour. While still hot cut off the hairy stump, put it in a blender or a food processor hot. Add 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar a big spoon of dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste. I add a touch of Bragg liquid aminos (but most folks do not know what that is). Whiz til smooth. This makes my favorite vidalia onion vinegrette without the 150 cal for 2 tbsp price

That sounds awesome!! I make a yummy one 1 tbls basalmic vinegar, 1 tsp olive oil, juice of 1 lime, and some chilli powder
  • k1o2r3i4
    k1o2r3i4 Posts: 33 Member
    dijon, red wine vinegar, lemon and olive oil, S&P
  • Maple Grove Farms fat free balsamic viagrette is only 15 calories/2 tablespoons. Sometimes I just use plain balsamic vinegar or vinegar with fresh lemon or lime juice.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    I LOVE Annie's Natural Balsamic Vinaigrette. It's high fat because it's oil-based but it is low sodium and sooo good. 100 calories for 2 tablespoons. I also like just oil and vinegar. I switch between olive oil and flaxseed oil (when I feel like upping my omega-3 intake). Super easy and yummy.

As for what I couldn't do without in my salad . . . tomatoes! I think if there is a vegetable you like more than others, make it a big part of your salad so you're more likely to enjoy it. I found over time though that I really enjoy all the veggies now even ones I used to think I didn't like :happy:
  • pixie_pix
    pixie_pix Posts: 157 Member
    Oilfree mustard honey dressing (handle with care if u take the hot mustard stuff!)

For 4

6 regular spoons of chicken or veggie-broth (can be instant)
    2 regular spoons dark balsamico vinegar
    2 regular spoons hot dijon mustard
    2 regular spoons of honey
    Salt and pepper

Goes well with every salad hot and yummy!
    About 40 kcal per serving

Strawberry Dressing
    For 4
    250g Strawberries (blended)
    1 spoon Maple Sirup
    1 spoon strawberry or raspberry vinegar
    1 Spoon walnutoil
    Salt, pepper, cayennepepper

Super yummy with green salads, some added fruits for those who like it. With some grilled chickenbreast a full dish
    Dressing has about 60kcal per serving
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Salsa is good. I have a friend who adds lemon to salads and cut or o its the dressing.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil and vinegar ( white, red, balsamic, rice, etc)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    i use some olive oil, then some balsamic vinegar. Add oregano, basil, salt and pepper and hand mix in the salad. Low cal and i love the tase of the vinegar.
  • DDouglas59
    DDouglas59 Posts: 6 Member
    Found a great dressing that I have become addicted to, sold at Walmart, Wholesome Goodness Balsamic Dressing 2Tbsp 10 Calories!
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    The one I made tonight? 5 strawberries, handful of walnuts, ounce of raisins, slice of red onion, vinegar 1/4cup, water 1/4 cup, spices of choice...mine were garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed, pepper.

whip it in a high speed blender until smooth. Out of this world. :heart:
  • Mayo! Mayo! Mayo! Mayo!

I get "lighter than light" mayo which is approx. 11 calories per tbsp. I'm not an advocate of low fat foods, but I love mayo so much and I can't bear the fact that the real stuff is so calorically expensive! :frown:

I'm hoping to make my own one day but I'm so horrible at cooking anything that isn't dessert or curry so I'm not entirely sure about this.
  • this is a great "ranch substitute" without the guilt.:)
    THanks so much for sharing
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    for an easy homemade dressing, I love making coconut balsamic vinaigrette- coconut oil, balsamic vinegar, celery salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders... shake and serve. be advised, the coconut oil will harden on your salad if it's super cold. I recommend making the salad first and letting it warm a bit before adding the dressing.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    raw egg, olive oil, honey , lime juice, dijon mustard.