Anyone else doing or planning on using the Keto diet?

Options
Anyone else?

Replies

• Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been on it about 4 months now, didn't really get the keto flu, and have lost about 15lb - not much change in weight lately but my belly flab is much less and my thighs are getting bigger as I cycle a lot. Over the last 18 months I've dropped about 40lbs by cutting back on sugary and starchy food - ie, spuds, rice, pasta, bread, alcohol etc and the weight has just dripped off. I still eat loads of other veggies though. I probably eat 20-40 g of carbs most days. I enjoy the food I eat, mostly meat, dairy and veg and I can cycle for 3-4 hours without needing to eat as I'm already carrying my fuel.

Read up on it before you start - there's a lot of good info here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    and a fairly supportive bunch of people too. Do a search here as well, but I think /r/keto is a bit more positive towards it than here.
    I have found the big change for me is that I don't feel hungry as often - fat is quite satiating and I'm not thinking about food every couple of hours.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I did it for a week for chits n giggles. I lost a lot of water weight ....it did reduce my cravings some. That's about it.
  • Ready4WARx90
    Options
    Thanks and will do!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Thanks and will do!

We've also got a fairly active keto group on this site. Check it out in addition to Reddit.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I do keto and have lost about 13 pounds on it. I really like it for appetite control, and since there were few carb sources that I really craved, I still get to eat my favorite foods! I'm transitioning into a slightly higher carb intake because ice cream, but most days I'm still in ketosis.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started keto 1/17/13. I've lost 84 pounds.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks and will do!

We've also got a fairly active keto group on this site. Check it out in addition to Reddit.
    I didn't realise that - I'll check it out.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 4 week cyclical keto diet right now. Starting week 2. My diary is open if you want to look. I've taken it to an extreme and gotten my carbs down to single digits. I'm loving it so far. Unfortunately, my weigh-in day is on carb-loading day so weight loss isn't as much as it was earlier in the week, but not worried about that. But I do think the fat loss has started.

And if you are interested in a keto diet, I would strongly urge you to read "The Ketogenic Diet" by Lyle McDonald. It's a great book about all things keto. and all the different variations.
  • Aaem1
    Aaem1 Posts: 1
    Options
    just starting keto. i've been eating very similar to the diet know for a while due to having candida. no sugars at all, no high carb veggies, no grain (only some moderately); basically meat, veggies and lots of fat. so the keto diet seems like an easy adjustment compared to most people it seems. i have about 24% body fat and since this is supposedly a good diet for those with 15-20% or less, i thought i would try it. i lift 3x/wk already and commute by bike, so adding another day of lifting and a couple runs seems like a good challenge.
    the most challenging part about the diet for me will be the carb loading period, since my current diet doesn't allow high carb veggies too often. (good thing it's only 24-36 hrs of loading)
    the increased fat that i have been doing has definitely caused me to feel more satiated. i've been kinda wowed by it. i don't even think about needing to eat for like 4hrs or so. it could help that i haven't had any foods with sugars too; only low glycemic sweetners are allowed for me and they seem to be ok with the keto diet too. (ie. liquid stevia and yacon syrup)
    anywho...i'll keep in touch with the progress.
  • Rob_Zamites
    Rob_Zamites Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    On my third day - no scale, so I can't tell you progress, but I can tell you that I have WAY more energy than 4 days ago.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I started keto 1/17/13. I've lost 84 pounds.

43 days later. Lost 13 more since I made that comment. Still on keto. 97 lbs down. I've gotten away from wanting a number now I want a body fat %. Today I am 29.3% My goal is 10%.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Not to be the bearer of bad news.. you're not going to make it to 10% cutting on 1300 calories. That is a severe deficit and eventually you're body is going to associate that with new maintenance levels... then what, cut out more calories from the 1300?
  • LivingHealthyLove
    Options
    I've thought about it, but it's not recommended by anyone (I've done tons of research.. books and articles). They usually say you can get on a ketogenic diet temporarily (at most a month) to lose a few extra pounds, but then get back on a low carb plan. I believe a ketogenic diet only consists of 0-50 grams of carbs a day in any form. I'm on 50-100 grams of carbs a day regimen. I'm following paleo guidelines like MarksDailyApple and Practical Paleo. Apparently, you can do some real damage trying to operate off of such little carbs. I don't quite feel like quickly googling it to let you know.. but a simple search should tell ya.

From experience though with low carb diets in general, it's not a very good idea getting on any "diet" if you do not intend on or cannot follow it for the rest of your life. Particularly, with low carb.. once you eat a slice of bread you'll gain a pound (that's why I don't believe that one pound = 3500 cals crap). So, most likely you'll get off of the keto diet (hopefully I'm talking about the right thing).. and you'll gain most or all of the weight back.. and alot people even gain more.. if they don't quickly jump back to super low carb. So, I don't suggest it. Do something that doesn't have such horrible consequences once you have your sweet spot.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Particularly, with low carb.. once you eat a slice of bread you'll gain a pound (that's why I don't believe that one pound = 3500 cals crap). So, most likely you'll get off of the keto diet (hopefully I'm talking about the right thing).. and you'll gain most or all of the weight back.. and alot people even gain more.. if they don't quickly jump back to super low carb. So, I don't suggest it.

Maybe YOU are so insulin resistant that you gain weight back that easily but I've been maintaining just fine and so have fellow low carbers on my friend's list who stay very active. I eat bread a few times a week, gelato every now and then, pizza, pasta, cookies. I just time heavy carbs before a high calorie burn.
  • emmysusanne
    emmysusanne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Keto here, and loving it! Other keto's feel free to send me a friend request in order to peek into each other's food plans etc :)
  • confused_truffle
    confused_truffle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's a tough road.. a LOT of social stigma and everyone will critique how you're eating (ignore it), but it's the most scientifically sound diet for losing weight and burning excess body fat from accumulating around your internal organs.

PLEASE do some research. reddit.com/r/keto has a great FAQ section so you can read up and get a good handle on what your life could look like :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm ketogenic on healthy food. Nothing stamped "low carb". Nothing with artificial sweeteners. I love it. No, it's not "hard". I've resolved many illnesses and obesity (still losing fat). But it is NOT a diet. Not for me. A temporary "diet" will result in temporary results.

PS. I've been keto for 14 months.
  • eclipse75048
    eclipse75048 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started Monday, so I can't give you any of MY anecdotal evidence yet. So far though, it's been easy to stay under my calorie goals, but hard to hit the carb goals. I need to do better planning! For example, today I was meeting a friend for lunch and I picked Jason's Deli--figured I could just eat the salad bar. I THOUGHT I was picking stuff with little to no carbs, but my stupid fricking salad was 1,000 calories and 15 net carbs. I expected the high calories (mmmm, 3 hard boiled eggs) but the net carbs threw me.

Good luck!