What Am I Doing Wrong??

Options
Hi All:

I've initially lost 3 kgs or 6.6 pounds to my other friends out of Australia. Now I've put it back on, plus a little more. I seem to be doing everything right, but obviously can't be if I'm gaining... Anyone got any suggestions please of where I could be going wrong??

Dana

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    House cleaning isn't exercise. You're logging huge burns and then eating it back wiping out your deficit. Only log dedicated exercise and stick to your budget.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Possibly over-inflated calorie burns (if using MFP calculations) they are wayyyy high IMO.

Possibly over-eating by under logging, forgetful logging, not weighing food accurately, eye-balling portions.

Logging basic activity as 'exercise'.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    House cleaning isn't exercise. You're logging huge burns and then eating it back wiping out your deficit. Only log dedicated exercise and stick to your budget.

^ Yup.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

^ Yup.

x3 + make sure that you are weighing/measuring/logging everything that goes in your mouth.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

^ Yup.

x3 + make sure that you are weighing/measuring/logging everything that goes in your mouth.

^^^ - all of this
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

^ Yup.

You all must not clean very well. LOL When I scrub floors, that **** is exercise!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

LOL
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

^ Yup.

You all must not clean very well. LOL When I scrub floors, that **** is exercise!

look at her exercise diary...lots of cleaning logged.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Yes. Only log exercise calories that you burn doing dedicated exercises like walking that you have been doing. I play with my toddler a lot, running behind her..walk around carrying her..but i dont log them. I also take long walks all the time, but dont log them either. I just consider my lifestyle to be lightly active and then log exercise calories on top of it.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have about 38 kg still to lose and the only way I find I effectively lose weight week to week is to not eat back my exercise calories. You can get away with it when you're at the tail end of things and getting to a maintenance weight, but for the first 3/4 of weight loss especially with a large amount to lose, the more you burn the better and I have never experienced 'starvation mode' even when burning over half of my eaten calories in a day, I think that ones a bit of an urban myth at higher weights.

Also MFP seriously over inflates calories burned, you'd be better off buying a HRM with a chest strap and logging them accurately or try finding an online exercise calculator that you can input specific data like time, distance covered, pace, average heart rate (all of which you can get off the readout on your machine if you use one).
  • skyyblue0
    skyyblue0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I log in any exercise I do however I don't eat any extra calories
  • gera368
    gera368 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I checked only 3 days of your diary, but i think you eat way to much.
    And how can you eat apples (Granny Smith) without carbs?
    Be honest to yourself and probably drink more water.
    You can add me as a friend if you really like to go for it and I will try to help :-)
  • JazminGowdy
    Options
    I see the exercises that you have been logging and the amount of calories you consume everyday. While you do burn SOME calories cleaning and walking, the amounts you are burning are actually quite insignificant compared to more rigorous exercises. Calorie amounts on this site are actually not that accurate, so to get the most accurate number you will want to set your activity level to "sedentary" if you have not already. I find it is better to underestimate your calorie amounts than overestimate.

Also I noticed that in comparison to the amount of calories you burn, the amount of calories you consume is much higher and very inconsistent. Your daily caloric intake fluctuates by as much as 1,000 calories. This is not good since you are trying to lose weight. Exercise means nothing if you keep eating back the calories you just burned.

I would recommend consistently consuming less calories (the amount depends on how often and how hard you exercise, and how much weight you wish to lose), eating less foods that are high in calories (sometimes the lasagna and cheesecake are just not worth it!), and more intense cardiovascular exercises. Cardio is what helps you drop the pounds. I hope this helps, and good luck to you on your journey!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options

^ Yup.

Yes, cleaning is exercise but I don't log it I just chalk it up to part of my daily activity. I only log exercises that are set and timed and purposefully done. Then I try to eat a portion of it back to keep a good deficit without going to far over or under. If I logged my cleaning or taking care of the children I nanny I would show a lot more exercise and trick myself into think I can eat all of that back.
  • Mokey41
    Options

^ Yup.

Yes, cleaning is exercise but I don't log it I just chalk it up to part of my daily activity. I only log exercises that are set and timed and purposefully done. Then I try to eat a portion of it back to keep a good deficit without going to far over or under. If I logged my cleaning or taking care of the children I nanny I would show a lot more exercise and trick myself into think I can eat all of that back.

Cleaning may be moving around which is better than sitting on the couch but it doesn't significantly raise your heart rate enough to burn much in the way of calories and it isn't a sustained burn for a length of time that would make it matter. It's great to get up and get your cleaning done but there's no way that it equates to dedicated exercise or burns the types of calories being logged.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    Your exercise calories are impossible to be quite honest. There is no way that cleaning has burned that many calories. I think you are drastically over estimating calories burned and then eating them all. Take that out totally. Only log any purposeful exercise that you do. Then, when you eat back your exercise calories, only eat back a portion. This is because MFP's numbers for exercise are inflated. They are not accurate. I personally have done about 50%.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't log cleaning as exercise. My understanding is that even sedentary activity level, desk job, also includes the every day incidental activities we all do through out the day.
  • Mokey41
    Options
    I probably wouldn't log cleaning as exercise. My understanding is that even sedentary activity level, desk job, also includes the every day incidental activities we all do through out the day.

Sedentary setting includes:

Sleeping - 8 hours
    Personal care (dressing, showering) - 1 hour
    Eating - 1 hour
    Cooking - 1 hour
    Sitting (office work, selling produce, tending shop) - 8 hours
    Driving car to/from work - 1 hour
    General household work - 1 hour
    Light leisure activities (watching TV, chatting) - 3 hours

Sedentary doesn't mean lays on the couch all day watching TV and eating candy. Most people are actually sedentary and you can always log any intentional exercise you do beyond the above.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You must have the cleanest house ever. Come live with me.
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The only cleaning I ever log is the "above and beyond" cleaning, such as when I scrubbed the outside of our camper from top to bottom in the middle of the day in August or when I was sanding down the plaster in my newly renovated bathroom two weeks ago.

Everyday cleaning/activities like hanging laundry on the line or chasing around two small, insane children is a normal caloric burn...and sadly, they don't count.

Eat less, and try to maintain a steady average of daily calories. Get a HRM to accurately log your exercise - trust me, MFP makes their "calories burned" way too high in some cases. Learned that the hard way and it seriously undermined my efforts. If you can't afford one, try not to eat back all the burned calories. Drink a LOT of water. And good luck...