Hungry after eating

Options
One thing I have noticed is that most of the time I am not hungry on 1200 calories a day but the moment I start to eat something I get hungry and after I have finished my low cal meal I am VERY hungry ........ for about half an hour. Then I'm back to not being hungry.

I picture it as millions of little hungry cells in there somewhere who are sleeping contentedly until the first morsel appears and then they all wake up ......... more ............ more ........ more.

And they keep doing that for half an hour after mealtime is over .......... then they go back to sleep.

Last night they wanted toast and honey and lots of it. I fought my way through that half hour and they all went back to sleep.

So did I and I woke up happy this morning.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hate to knock down your happy moment but...you're hungry because you're not eating enough. 1200 calories is the minimum intake for women. As a male, you should be getting more like 1500-1800 minimum

Can't see your diary so here's some additional generic advice:

Protein and healthy fats are more satisfying
    If you're exercising, you should be eating back those earned calories
    With the amount of weight you have left to lose, your weekly weight loss goal should be no higher than 1 pound (or about 1/2 a kg)
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Hate to knock down your happy moment but...you're hungry because you're not eating enough. 1200 calories is the minimum intake for women. As a male, you should be getting more like 1500-1800 minimum

Can't see your diary so here's some additional generic advice:

Protein and healthy fats are more satisfying
    If you're exercising, you should be eating back those earned calories
    With the amount of weight you have left to lose, your weekly weight loss goal should be no higher than 1 pound (or about 1/2 a kg)

^^QFT - you need to eat more and def eat back your exercise cals - because you are male, you need to eat a lot more.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If youre happy then youre happy :smile:

Good luck even tho I know its not luck :wink:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I turn into a really tired, cranky bear on 1200 calories. I can't imagine how a man would feel on that little fuel. I hope you will consider eating more.
  • JohnAtTheCove
    JohnAtTheCove Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is what MFP set me to lose 1 kg a week. I feel good.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Try to get in things that are very nutrient dense... plenty of fruits and veggies throughout the day... High amount of fiber... Don't drop below 25% of calories from good fat sources like olive oil, seeds, nuts and avocados. I'm Lew. Married, dad of two boys (14 and 4) and soon to be one girl... Been at this for 14 months and have dropped 184.2 pounds. Welcome and best of luck in all your fitness goals. Anyone is welcome to add me. My diary is open to friends and I comment a lot.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is what MFP set me to lose 1 kg a week. I feel good.

But you're hungry for a half hour after you eat. Something tells me that is not good. :huh:
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed is that most of the time I am not hungry on 1200 calories a day but the moment I start to eat something I get hungry and after I have finished my low cal meal I am VERY hungry ........ for about half an hour. Then I'm back to not being hungry.

I picture it as millions of little hungry cells in there somewhere who are sleeping contentedly until the first morsel appears and then they all wake up ......... more ............ more ........ more.

And they keep doing that for half an hour after mealtime is over .......... then they go back to sleep.

Last night they wanted toast and honey and lots of it. I fought my way through that half hour and they all went back to sleep.

So did I and I woke up happy this morning.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You need more food! I am 5'9" and am very active burning at least 600-1000 cals per day and I aim for 2200 cals! You need more food than that. Oh, I have lost a total of 90ish pounds over the last 2.5 years! I know what I am doing! :) Feel free to add me if you are dead serious and have a goal in mind and are totally in the game. :)
  • cheegerz
    cheegerz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue!! I can go 7-8 hours without eating anything, and I feel fine! Not hungry in the slightest.... And then, as soon as I take a bite of some food, it instantly triggers this huuuge appetite, and then I just want to keep eating and eating and eating. When I'm done with a meal, that's when it is the hardest for me. There is probably a scientific reason behind this... something that can be explained by the chemical reactions that take place when you ingest something. I've always had this issue.
  • JohnAtTheCove
    Options
    Wow. Lots of good stuff there.
  • JohnAtTheCove
    Options
    Thanks for the invite. Yes yes yes and yes.
  • JohnAtTheCove
    Options
    Now that I have recognised this condition I will be able to better manage the temptation as I know that the hunger will go away in a short time.
  • JohnAtTheCove
    Options
    With a BMI of 35 and Body Fat of 32% the stats say that I am obese and I need to get down to the low 80 kgs just to be overweight.
  • mafke
    Options
    I agree with your analogy...but YOU showed them...way to GO!
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a question - Are you scarfing down your food? Are you drinking water with your food? I used to eat fast because when you have boys, they want seconds even though you just touched your food. But I have slowed down and not look like I was shoveling it it. : )
  • JohnAtTheCove
    Options
    ... scarfing and no water! Oh oh!
  • cheegerz
    Options
    I have a question - Are you scarfing down your food? Are you drinking water with your food? I used to eat fast because when you have boys, they want seconds even though you just touched your food. But I have slowed down and not look like I was shoveling it it. : )

That is exactly what I should do!... pace myself and savor every bite a little more. I have always eaten my food much faster than one should eat. When I go out to dinner with friends, I'm usually the first to finish. I drink water with my food... usually 2-3 glasses with my meals. That should curb my appetite a little though, shouldn't it? I always thought that drinking water with your meals should make you eat less, or slower... but the opposite seems to be the case with me. I just scarf it all down like a freaking pack of wolves. I need to eat more consciously.... that's what OP should do, too.

It's kind of like the study that shows people who eat absent-mindedly in front of the TV consume twice as much as those who don't.
  • JohnAtTheCove
    Options
    I agree with your analogy...but YOU showed them...way to GO!

It happened again just now. I started eating an orange and I wasn't even half way when I was thinking, I am going to have to get another couple of oranges. Then I realised what was happening and didn't fall for THEIR tactics.
  • cheegerz
    Options
    Woohoo, go John!!