did anyone else experience this when they started MFP?

Options
This is my second week of being on mfp (started sept. 20) and have since been having stomach aches and digestion problems. I am not really overweight, 156 pounds at 5'10, but i want to get in shape and healthy again. I am on a 1200 calorie a day diet. If any of you have had similar experiences or ideas as to what may help me, share please! Thanks!

Replies

• ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any of those issues when I started. Did you drastically change what or how much you ate?
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Maybe the change in diet has been a bit of a shock to your system. I get stomach pains and digestion problems anyway because i have IBS. It may be an idea to take a look at what you're eating that may be causing this. For instance, i know if i eat a lot of bread, i will bloat and get stomach cramps. I get the same if i eat anything too rich in cream (like a chicken korma - i remained bloated and uncomfortable for the entire night after that). I also get stomach pains and bloating after eating chocolate and other sweet things if i have too much of it. So take a look at your current diet - is there anything you're having too much of?
  • gemlouisejean
    Options
    I had the same problems when I started and I just put this down as a shock to the system! However, a month on MFP, I find if I eat a large portion of something with a lot of carbs, I'm finding the same problem. You should see is there a pattern in your food diary that corresponds to when you get the stomach cramps and digestion problems! That's how I've tackled mine. It can be very disheartening, but don't give up!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Have you drastically changed what you eat? That might be the cause. Any drastic change will shock your system.

Are you drinking enough water? It could be as simple as dehydration.
  • FlashBang
    FlashBang Posts: 136
    Options
    Yea, it happens to me. Eating healthy means less processed foods and they are harder to digest. Process foods are nearly already digested right out of the box, that is why they are so easy to store as fat. Extra fiber in fruits and vegetables can cause painful gas. It is just a cost of doing business. It gets better. You may want to look into some digestive enzymes, at least beano. Your body will adjust, just stay to course.
  • Haileyybrookee
    Haileyybrookee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I'm definitely gonna start paying attention to which foods cause this.. i agree it might be big, heavy meals.
  • Turbocat
    Options
    I agree, assessing what you eat is where to start. I cut out milk almost 100% from my diet due to bad stomach pains and also bread. I use soya milk all the time now and rarely eat bread, if I do it will be a slice of toast. Anything like cake also bloats me out and gives me tummy pains. I am feeling much better these days and don't literally look like a pregnant woman every day! The other thing is cutting down on your portions and if feeling hungry go for light things or a piece of fruit. I found that hard to start with but as time goes on I tend to crave fruit, especially juice or salad.
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    Sometimes I would get "hunger pains" but nothing major. Have you been eating your # of calories allowed for the day?
    In addition to MFP you can also take a look at Preventions site as far as calorie limits.

prevention.com/caloriecalculator/