Veggies?

Options
So, last night I went to the grocery and bought some vegetables. I was really going to try some. "They" always says that a healthy body is made in the kitchen, and vegetables are very important. Well, today, I tried eating some... Ugh. I could not. They just do not appeal to me. I can not find any vegetables I like. At. All.

So, I guess I'm asking, in order to lose weight, and be healthy, do you have to eat vegetables?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    To lose weight? No. To be healthy? I personally would say you are better off eating veggies than not eating veggies.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    You just need to find the right recipe to like them. If you dont like them in salads, then dont eat salads or maybe make them interesting. My salad consist of avacado, veggies, quinoa, fruits, ranch, sriracha etc. Just need to make it work for you.
    Maybe create burritors/mix them in your scrambled eggs, home made pizzas, just roasted also tastes good.
    In order to lose weight and be healthy, you dont need to eat only veggies, but make them a part of your diet for sure:)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I like a ton of different squashes, snow pea pods, cauliflower, eggplant, kale (homemade kale chips--yum!), zucchini , bok choy, spinach, Chinese green beans, collards, etc. I usually juice them or stir fry them with palm oil and add pepper, garlic, onions, peanut sauce and a little soy sauce. You can try spaghetti squash with marinara sauce, and it is a pretty good substitute for pasta. If you really hate them, I would just juice them and gulp them down quickly and painlessly. If you add a banana or a little honey to the juice, it will just taste sweet and fruity. But I love vegetables, so eating them either way is easy for me.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Which ones did you try and how did you prepare them? To be healthy, you need to eat vegetables. They've got amazing benefits.

Google vegetarian recipes. There are so many fantastic ways to prepare veggies.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How are you preparing them? Sometimes you will find you don't like something one way, but will another. For example, I despise cooked carrots. Abhor them. But I like them raw. Instead of fresh, maybe try some that are frozen. Just keep trying until you find something you can tolerate. Eventually you will probably grow to like it!
  • emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Throw the greens (I like kale and spinach) in with a fruity smoothie! That works the best and you cant taste them!
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Alright. I'll try some more and maybe try to, hide their flavors. Lol. I've only tried them raw so far, so maybe I would like them cooked or prepared differently.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Throw the greens (I like kale and spinach) in with a fruity smoothie! That works the best and you cant taste them!

So true!!
  • erin1276
    erin1276 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    A lot of people don't like raw veggies. I am one that ONLY eats veggies raw... hahaha... maybe I'm a weirdo! Anyway- since my kids don't particularly like veggies I make a lot of salads, I incorporate veggies into big salads, soups and stews and yes- you can make a totally healthy stew in your slow cooker that gives you everything you need for a healthy balanced meal. One of the only vegetables I absolutely LOATHE raw I LOVE cooked... Green beans. Get a whole bunch of raw green beans, throw them into a hot pan with a bit of olive oil, minced garlic and spices to taste- ie a dash of salt- sautee them til they are softer but still crisp and they are DELICIOUS. If you want a little flair- sprinkle a bit of romano cheese. Olive oil is a great healthy oil and you don't need a whole lot for a lot of flavor. good luck!!
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    http://yourlighterside.com/2013/04/zucchini-broccoli-cauliflower-bechamel-bake-edit-more/

This recipe is very versatile and very tasty. You can use any veg you want.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed that at 18 you've never had vegetables before. You could add fat, salt and sugar.............you never know, you might discover a new fast food.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I second the answer that to lose weight it isn't required, but it is good for overall health. Another thing is that I get to eat so much more food when veggies are part of what I include in my intake. :)

While I do like vegetables, I am no purist. Had an older friend years ago who would only eat raw or lightly steamed veggies. No salt, no seasonings of any kind..."A vegetable should look and taste like a vegetable or it doesn't do you any good!" Nooooo,....

Season, disguise, roast, juice, blend, mix, stew, steam, bread, sautee, puree, and bake away. You'll find things you like and even if you don't see them, you can still reap the benefits.
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I hate raw cauliflower...but LOVE roasted cauliflower!

http://www.delightedmomma.com/2012/01/baked-cauliflower-poppers.html

Also, try sugar snap peas w/ roasted red pepper hummus (or any flavor you like)
  • look online for ways to cook:smile: the ones you already bought
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love veggies in a tortilla wrap or pita with some shredded cheese. Add beans and sour cream...yum.

I steam a lot of veggies and then add a bit of Earth Balance vegan butter and sea salt, simple but good.

You can always disguise them in smoothies as many have already suggested. I puree carrots and add them to spaghetti sauce so my kids get extra veggies without knowing it (they're picky.)

I'm a vegetarian and love veggies so I'm probably not the best to give advice to someone who doesn't actually like them, but I will say that raw veggies aren't my favourite (though with a good dip they are good.)
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You don't need it to lose weight, but you definitely need vegetables to be healthy. They contain very important minerals and vitamins that are VERY IMPORTANT for your health. Try steaming your veggies. Broccoli, spinach, carrots, peas, bok choy etc... and replace your starchy grains with them. The taste of these veggies are neutral, it's all in your head.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    and yeah, someone brought up a very good point.
    Just juice your veggies if you can't eat them. That way you can put fruits in the juice to make it sweeter.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat them on their own, you should try blending them in pasta sauce or other foods. You can't taste them that way.
    Try steaming them. I personally can't eat them cooked, I only like raw. Good luck!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mjni4rDR7K1qz4rgp.gif