Concerned about my heart rate

So, I'm a 20 year old, 5'0.5" female. I've recently lost 37 pounds, and now weigh 138.5. Ideally, I'd like to lose about 20-25 more pounds.

I was doing a science experiment today, and it required taking our resting pulse, and our pulse after physical activity. (The activity was briskly climbing up four flights of stairs, and then back down again.) My resting pulse is 67. However, my active pulse is 164. Most people had an active pulse around 110 to 120. I did not feel like I was exerting much energy. I wasn't out of breath or in any sort of pain. I never am when I work out. So, that number came as a surprise to me.

Now, I do have blood sugar problems/Reactive Hypoglycemia, and I hadn't eaten yet. I don't know if that could have affected it. I also haven't been to the gym for a month, (I've only been able to fit in cardio once or twice a week at home), so I'm slightly out of shape.

Is this a normal heart rate? If so, is it still possible to lower it? Should I talk to my doctor?

For the record, I have normal blood pressure, and I'm not a smoker.

Replies

• jpvanzut
    jpvanzut Posts: 22 Member
    Completely normal... you can lower it by doing more cardio. Also you may have been a bit dehydrated which can also increase your heart rate.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Is there any chance you were counting your pulse wrong? I still cannot do it properly most of the time and rely on my heart rate monitor (for workouts). But 4 flights of stairs is a lot if you aren't used to it/do rigorous cardio.
  • Xaxxus
    Xaxxus Posts: 6 Member
    How long have you been working out and dieting? Have you been working out or has your weight loss been 100% diet? Do you do cardio, weights or both?

Resting and active heart rates are both determined by how strong your cardiovascular system is. Your heart is a muscle just like any other.
    If you do a ton of intense cardio, you heart gets stronger and pumps more blood with each beat. Meaning it can beat much slower and get the same effect.

Make sure you include interval training with your cardio routine. It is much more effective for training your cardiovascular system than just running at a steady pace for 45 min. In addition people who do a lot of interval training are more likely to survive a heart attack (because their hearts are prepared to handle sudden changes of intensity).