Motivation for a High School Kid

Options
How can I make good choices even with my hectic school schedule? I hate being the "Debbie Downer" when my friends want to go to McDonald's and I don't want to join. My parents aren't much of a help either; they harp that I need to get fit, but then criticize when I don't want to go out to eat with them. I eat healthy for the most part during the day, but then I binge at night. I want to lose this weight for good!

Replies

• I found that when I started eating at night more, I had the tendency to eat junk. So I'm not sure if I need to plan better or what.
  • agcarden1
    agcarden1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would suggest planning your calories around outings with your friends. If your friends talk about going to McDonald's for dinner, eat a smaller breakfast/lunch or plan for more exercise to help even it out. I personally would just choose something healthy when I go out with them like a salad or grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo). You can also check the nutrition information on what you want before you head out so theres no surprises. I like the site exerciseforweightloss.com (here's McDonald info: http://www.exercise4weightloss.com/weight-watchers-points-mcdonalds.html)

Also, if you are not feeling supported by friends/family, you may want to consider talking with them about what you need from them and how they can help you. And by telling them your goals, you are also holding yourself accountable for your own healthy lifestyle. Win win!

Hope this helps!
  • It definitely has! Thanks!
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You'll get more support from a site geared for teens, like sparkteen. MFP is for adults, 18+.
  • You'll get more support from a site geared for teens, like sparkteen. MFP is for adults, 18+.
    Yes, and I'm 18. Still in high school, but 18.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't know what all of your extra curricular activities are, but I know I was pretty sedentary. Make sure you're up and doing stuff. Burn calories instead of spending too much time on facebook ;)
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to going out with friends or your family, rather than making yourself miserable by not going, go along but make sure what you order fits in your calories for the day. Like a previous poster said you can get salads etc at maccas, or if you are like me and hate the salads there just get a small fries or something small.

As for going out with your parents, find out earlier in the day where they want to go, most places have their menus online, so you can check it out work out your cals, make the healthy choice and then you can go in already knowing what you want to order rather than being tempted by specials boards etc.

as for exercise I get up early and walk in the morning. I hate it, it sucks, but every morning I get up and do it. Not because I am motivated or because its fun but because thats what I need to do to get healthy :)'

Or you could make it fun, I know someone who set up their laptop on their treadmill, so everytime they went on facebook or whatever they could workout while doing it.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Hey Mickey D's has some lo cal (though high sodium) selections that are great tasting. My fav is the grilled chicken snack wrap with apples or carrots or side salad on the side! and some ice tea or sugar free iced vanilla coffee (40 cals = 12 oz).

At night. Can you lay in some special k chips and rice cakes or my personal favs carrots with lo cal Italian dressing. I also like fage yogurt with fruit to fill me up and a baked potato makes me feel full for a long time (you can put the plain fage on the potato instead of sour cream, too). How about 90 cal popcorn and some sugar free Popsicles?

On the weekends, maybe cut up fruits like mango or watermelon and put it in the fridge on the top shelf where you'll see it for the week days. Much easier to grab and munch.

Good luck!
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would reverse the effect eg

eat like a queen at breakfast

eat like a princess at lunch

eat like a pauper at night (dont forget lots of water)
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    oh the maccys thing I wouldnt go if you dont feel like eating one or just go and have a drink like a coffee just to be sociable
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You'll get more support from a site geared for teens, like sparkteen. MFP is for adults, 18+.
    Yes, and I'm 18. Still in high school, but 18.

And your profile says you are 20? Sparkteens may be a good option.
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would reverse the effect eg

eat like a queen at breakfast

eat like a princess at lunch

eat like a pauper at night (dont forget lots of water)

I agree. I used to binge after school or work too... I found that , lots of protein and fiber earlier in day makes me less hungry at night.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I found that when I started eating at night more, I had the tendency to eat junk. So I'm not sure if I need to plan better or what.

Absolutely! It's all about planning. No reason you can't enjoy McDonald's with friends, just have a plan for it. Take it easy calorically that day so you have room. Research your choices in advance so you know what you're getting into. for me, when I'm out on the road (which happens regularly) "Meh, I'll just grab something while I'm out and about" ALWAYS turns into eating too much of counterproductive foods. But if I know the area I'll be in, I can see who's who in the zoo and I can plan accordingly. I know Applebees has a handful of choices under 600 calories, one of which is a steak.

Plan the work and work the plan.,