scales...

Options
Here's what i have noticed about scales, from my own experiences over the years and through watching others. There are two different styles of "weighers", not a word, but i'm gonna use it.

One weigher is the one that uses the scales as a help "tool". The tool type of weigher steps on the scales daily, every couple of days, weekly or maybe even monthly. They use the scales as a tool to guide their overall health and how they are doing at getting to, or maintaining their goal.

The tool weigher tends to realize that life happens. They see the big picture and look at a healthy lifestyle in weeks, months and years, not hours and days. When they step on the scales and it's lighter they rejoice. When they step on the scales and it's slightly higher, they look at their eating and movement and see what they need to do differently to be healthier this time next month, next year.

The other type of weigher is the "permission" weigher. They tend to look at the scales as "permission" to eat this, or not eat that. The scales decide how much they exercise that day. The permission weigher allows the scales to determine their level of happiness or success.

The tool weigher doesn't always enjoy stepping on the scales. However they don't allow the scales to determine their happiness. It is simply a tool of life

The permission weigher tends (i say tends because this is not an absolute) to make choices and have attitudes that are dependent on their daily scales reading.

My encouragement to you is that if you are a permission scales person is that you remove your scales from your home. Take them to a friend or neighbors home that you only have access to about once a week or so. Go and weigh in (preferably the same time of day, first thing in the morning being optimal) and see where you are. Don't get down on yourself if you are a pound or two higher... be kind to yourself. make adjustments to the foods you are eating (not always how many calories, but that's a totally different topic!). Choose different foods and see how they work for you that week. Choose a different exercise for a couple of your workouts that week.

A healthy relationship with the scales will lead to a healthier lifestyle, long term weight loss and better health through out your lifetime.

(disclaimer...this is my opinion, not a study preformed by a doctor or company for money. i pray that you are encouraged by my thoughts)

We are all on this road of life together. Let's be kind and encourage one another to help someone today and every day.

Super Saturday to EVERYONE!
Jane

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Think you hit that on the head.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    Nice post.

I used to be a "permission weigher" but I had to get over that. Now I keep my scales on a shelf in the closet and pull them out and put them back about twice a week to see if I'm on track.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm more of the permission wiegher. And I don't want to be that way. I'm tempted to weigh myself constantly as if I need the validation to prove my work is paying off. Thing is...scales can't give that validation. Only I can provide that for myself.
  • k_woww
    k_woww Posts: 1
    Options
    Absolutely. I used to be a "permission" weigher. Every day, two or three times a day. My emotions were determined by the scale. I was disappointed if I gained at all, and if I lost over a certain amount, I decided I could "cheat" a little.

When we started using MFP, my husband put the scale away in the closet because there was the possibility of gaining weight the first week or so since we weren't used to the program. Now we weigh ourselves every Saturday morning just to make sure we're staying on track. It's really nice to say, "OK, I weigh X today," put it in the weight tracker, and keep going.
  • daniellesite
    daniellesite Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Love what you said!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jane.
    After reading this, I've realized that I am not a permission weigher (not anymore anyways). I do step on the scale every day. Sometimes more than once.... but it's just to check in. Kind of helping me to make the right choices when grabbing a snack or meal. I am seeing the numbers going down, I want that to continue.
    Thanks for the post.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Nice observation Jane :flowerforyou:

I use my scales as a tool and am quite happy with the fluctuations. Since weighing every day I think I know my body more now than I ever have! 9 times out of 10 there is always a plausible reason why the numbers have gone up! And I know, if I'm consistent, it will go down again :bigsmile:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :flowerforyou: