running outside & hurting EARS!

Options
Hey everyone!
I've recently been trying to run outside (on a track) instead of a treadmill. Even if it is 60 degrees (farenheit) outside (not even that cold!), my ears & jaw area hurt SO bad that it becomes distracting and sometimes unbearable. This has happened all my life if I'm working out in somewhat colder climates. Does this happen to anyone else and has anything worked to prevent it? I used to wear ear muffs when I had late night practices, but I feel like I shouldn't need to wear ear muffs in 60 degree weather!

Thanks in advance!
Leslie

Replies

• bedot
    bedot Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes! It happens to me all the time as soon as it gets cooler out. The second I come indoors where it's warm it is just excruciating pain in my face and ears. Not sure why, but just wanted to let you know you are not alone!
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    happens to me sometimes too. don't know why, either. however, to mitigate it, i use a headband/earwarmer thing, and if it's really too cold, i'll add a neck warmer too and lift it up over my jawline.

you can buy these at any running store.
  • kitza101
    kitza101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get this too in the winter.

I wear a beanie which helps a lot, otherwise it feels like my ears are exploding!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    have you thought about getting one of these?

http://www.buffcanada.com/products.html

they have them in men's and women's styles. Basically, it's exercise-friendly fabrics, and you can wear it in different ways depending on where/how you get cold.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Tmj or something similar causing pain to radiate to your ear area? That's probably the only guess I have. haha
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tmj or something similar causing pain to radiate to your ear area? That's probably the only guess I have. haha

Oh I hope not ... I had TMJ misalignment , and was really horrid. Please don't shoot me :embarassed: ..... I went to se a Cranial osteopath and I got it sorted. (ducks for cover) .. hey it worked for me , I ain't judging anyone ... It aint quackery if it works.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    If I run I am wearing something on my ears. It doesn't matter what the weather is. Something about the air rushing passed my ears gives me an earache and headache.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I will often wear a running toque (skull cap?) before I wear long sleeves. The one I have goes low over my ears and neck and even has a home for my ponytail.

Otherwise, if I forget it, my ears hurt so bad if it is cool or windy.
  • lynn_hickey
    lynn_hickey Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get that too!! Glad I'm not the only one.....even if I do cover them, when I get back into warmer temps, my head hurts!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If I run I am wearing something on my ears. It doesn't matter what the weather is. Something about the air rushing passed my ears gives me an earache and headache.

This happens to me also. I used to wear a band that keeps my ears warm, but doesn't cover my head. That way I can keep my ears warm, but not get too hot either. But, now I have ear muffs.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Oh I hope not ... I had TMJ misalignment , and was really horrid. Please don't shoot me :embarassed: ..... I went to se a Cranial osteopath and I got it sorted. (ducks for cover) .. hey it worked for me , I ain't judging anyone ... It aint quackery if it works.

I don't think it sounds like quackery. Honestly, it sounds like something I would try,given the chance. haha TMJ is ridiculous. Mine isn't horrible,but sometimes when I'm talking it's like my jaw dislocates. Very painful. Chewing gum causes me days of pain. haha Great that you got it fixed though! :happy:
  • lescush
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! So glad I'm not the only one. Sounds like I need to get a headband.
  • kwb87
    kwb87 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use a headband if I'm wear earphones (also find this helps to keep them in my ears! In races or timed public runs I wear just a bit of cotton wool in each ear (don't need much at all) and this stops me getting that terrible pain! Did a 5km run this morning in 1°C and the cotton wool worked a treat :-)
  • Krustpie
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one. Band or beanie work for me and I've found that running on soft ground rather than roads helps.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me! That's the main reason I bought a treadmill.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ear Pops are nice to wear. They only cover your ears without a head band or anything. I wear these when the temps are starting to drop before winter sets in. I get ear aches from cold wind blowing around my ears. Once the temps get down into the 20s, I need to switch to the 180s behind the head earmuffs.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also got it when I lived in colder and windier climates. I had an athletic headband that covered my ears, it did the trick.